I've never seen him collapse before!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Frasier's Mom, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frasier's Mom

Frasier's Mom New Member

Hello from Frasier and his mom Amanda! My sugar baby was diagnosed a little over two years ago, but hasn't shown much improvement and has recently shown some unsettling symptoms.

He's been on 2 units of Lantus twice a day since day one. In the beginning, his numbers dropped to the high 100's so we thought things were starting to turn around. After about three months, they began to increase to the high 200's and 300's. He seemed alert and happy this past year (even though his numbers stayed high), but in the past month he started loosing weight quickly and became more lethargic.

So back to the vet we go, except this time, I wanted a different opinion. I found a vet with decent reviews and was hopeful about finding a solution to his erratic BG. Frasier weighed 19 lbs a year ago, but he now weighs 14! She suspected a thyroid problem (felt a possible thyroid slip) but didn't find anything odd in his blood work except high calcium levels. His BG was 387, eyes watery, fur greasy, and he was drinking and eating normally. She prescribed Denamarin for his liver, Amoxicillin for possible infection, and Hill's W/D dry food for his weight. I tried to feed him the W/D but found it upset his stomach. We went back to feeding him Friskie's pate but increased the amount from half a can 4 times a day to 3/4 of a can 4 times a day.

That brings me to where we are now. His BG seems to be getting better, but he's starting to have some scary symptoms. I noticed on Sunday (9/31) he was being more lethargic and not eating as much. He kept lying next to his litter box which had me concerned that maybe he was still having stomach problems, but his bathroom habits haven't changed. I decided to sit by him for a while to give him comfort, and that's when I started noticing something wasn't right. Please watch the video till the end....

I have never seen him like this before!! He hasn't collapsed (or at least I haven't seen him do it) since Sunday, but he is still wincing in pain when he lies on his side. He's moving a lot slower, and seems spaced out. I've made an appointment for Friday, but should I rush him to the ER? I explained his symptoms to the receptionist at the vet office, but she made it seem like there wasn't any rush to bring him in. I feel so lost right now and need as much help as I can get so any advice is much appreciated!!

Other things of note:
    He can hardly jump down from small heights and doesn't jump up on the bed or couch anymore. He also has a dip in his back that seems to be getting lower, and he never sits down with his bottom touching the floor.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Looking at that video, I definitely would get Frasier to the ER ASAP. Have you checked him for ketones? It's possible he has DKA and that is an emergency and cannot wait until Friday. Of course it could be something else but he appears dehydrated to me, very obviously lethargic and possibly in pain. Wincing when he lays on his side could be from pancreatitis which is another common issue with diabetics that you don't want to delay treating. Please keep us posted.

3. Frasier's Mom

Frasier's Mom New Member

I've never checked for ketones. I believe his previous doctor checked when he was first diagnosed, but I was never told to check for them at home. I feel like such a bad mom right now!! Thanks for the advice! I'm rushing over there right now.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

Don't beat yourself up. Most vets don't tell their clients to test BG either. :rolleyes: It's the vets fault for not giving better instructions....not yours.

Uno's mom and Frasier's Mom like this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I hope Frasier is better. Please let us know

6. Frasier's Mom

Frasier's Mom New Member

Update on Frasier. He definitely has pancreatitis. The ER is keeping him till this evening to run more tests and get his fluids up. His breathing was a little raspy so they are doing an x-ray on his chest. I'll post another update later this evening.

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Poor guy. I hope things turn around.

Frasier's Mom likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Thank you for the update. I was worried about the poor guy and so glad they figured out what the problem is. Do keep us posted. We worry about all the kitties (and their caregivers) who come here. Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Frasier. :)

9. C_Star

C_Star Member

Poor Frasier! Kit had pancreatitis last month, but after fluids, Gabapentin (for pain), and Cerenia (for nausea), he was feeling better and back at home, eating well.
    Sending lots of healing thoughts.

10. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Oh my gosh, poor little guy...That would have scared me to death too if I saw my kitty's head just drop like that. Sending prayers from the heart for Frasier to stay strong and recover, and hugs to both of you.

11. JeanW

JeanW Member

Sending prayers and best wishes for you both. :bighug: Keep us posted.

12. Frasier's Mom

Frasier's Mom New Member

I just spoke with his doctor and they are going to keep him overnight again. He doesn't have a fever, but his BG is staying really high. He had 2 units of Lantus this morning and his BG was 456, then at lunch 465, and then this evening they gave him 3 units and it's at 447. The pain meds knocked him out all day so he didn't eat much. They decided not to give him any pain meds this evening so he would eat. The x-ray showed inflammation in his airway and she's going to take a second one to see if the antibiotics are helping. She also said he's really constipated but was concerned about giving him an enema because she didn't want him to become dehydrated. I'm really worried about how high his BG is, though. Could it be because he's stressed or is there something more serious happening? She said we could pick him up and monitor his BG at home and make adjustments through the day. I agreed to keep him an extra day, but I wonder if I should just bring him home.

Also, thank you everyone for your support and kind words. I'm a total newb to all of this (and I realize I posted in the wrong forum :oops:), but I'm so thankful to have a community of people who understand what it's like to have a sugar baby. Sometimes my friends and coworkers roll their eyes when I talk about Frasier and his health problems, so it's great to have support wherever possible!

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

Both stress and infections can elevate BG. Given how ill he looked yesterday I'd be inclined to let the vet do the extra checking and leave him there for monitoring for tonight. An increase of 1 unit of insulin is larger than we would recommend but that is something we can discuss further once he gets home if you would like us to continue to help you get Frasier regulated.

When Frasier gets home, if you have any questions or concerns, please post them over on the Main Board HERE. This board is just our "Welcome mat" where we welcome new folks and their furry friends. We keep specific medical discussions over on the other boards (exceptions being a kitty in distress so no need to worry:)) so that everything can be peer reviewed to ensure you get the best assistance possible.

We've all been through the rolling eyes of friends and coworkers and know just how frustrating and hurtful it can be. This is a safe haven for all furry animal lovers. I look forward to your next update and am sending more healing vines to Frasier! :)

14. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I hope he’s doing better today. If he’s constipated that can also raise bg levels, so if he needs an enema ask the vet to give SubQ fluids and show you how to do it so you can give them at home (it’s really easy to do).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.