? Izzy's numbers...Part 3

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Theresa W, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theresa W

Theresa W Member

Part of original thread http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ow-bg-need-advice-please.173294/#post-1899010

Hi everyone!

I returned from my work trip last Thursday. This was my first extended period being away since Izzy's diagnosis. I am happy to report other than a couple of high numbers, things went pretty smoothly with the cat sitter.
    Here is where I could use some advice. Ever since the huge drop on Feb 16 (he was at 4U), then the dose drop to 2U while I had to the work trip, Izzy seems stuck in the higher numbers. I have been upping his dose slowly and we are currently at 3.25U but not much is happening. I realize this is a marathon and not a race but I just worry about the long term implications of his numbers being high for an extended period.

Should I bump him to 3.5U tomorrow? While I can't be home all day, I can run home at lunch for testing and then I was planning on taking Thursday off.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Not sure how I would get through all this without this group. Some days it's so disheartening to see such little progress but then I jump on board this forum and realize I am not alone:)

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Give the 3.25 u another couple of cycles and then try 3.5 u. His good dose might be between 3.5 u and 4 u.

3. Theresa W

Theresa W Member

I just need to keep repeating patience...patience...patience:facepalm:

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We'll get you a pair of patience pants.... We keep spares in case they're needed. :p

5. Theresa W

Theresa W Member

Patience pants are feeling a bit snug but I have been wearing them faithfully. If someone could take a look at Izzy's current SS and lend some advice, that would be so helpful. Thinking I need to up the dose again. We are STUCK in those 300's. Sigh...

I am able to run home during work tomorrow and Friday to test a bit and then I am home all weekend.

Thanks

6. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Looks like Izzy is ready for a little dose increase. While it looks like you're getting a very gentle drop it would be great to get down out of those pinks :)

Maybe try 3.75u when you're able to get some mid-cycle tests?

Btw I think my whole wardrobe is nothing but patience pants thanks to Hermione :p

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Let's try to see some yellows Izzy :cat:

8. Kris & Teasel

I agree that you might want to increase by 0.25 u. He's been stuck high for a while so it might take a couple of increases to shift him.

9. Theresa W

Theresa W Member

He is a stubborn boy with his numbers. I will do my best to "eyeball" 3.75. Thinking I may need to switch to U100 syringes and use the conversion chart to be more accurate.

10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Do your U40 syringes have half marks?

11. Theresa W

Theresa W Member

Not the ones I got from the vet but I did purchase some other ones and those might. I will check when I get home. Thanks for the reminder.

12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd definitely switch to u100s when you can...really helps you get that accuracy in small dosing changes.

13. Theresa W

Theresa W Member

Well, Izzy just seems to keep me guessing. Can folks take a look at his updated SS and give me some advice please?

My guess is 3.75U is not quite enough but 4U is too high. It's so disheartening to see that yellow at AMPS then +4 see him back in the pink. I know he did not eat anything between this am and the +4. My guess is he dropped suddenly and them bounced to the ugly 400 number. It is slightly reminiscent of what happened on Feb 16. Only that drop was not so drastic?
    Tonight I will get a +2 after his evening dose. He is just getting so grumpy about all the ear picks:(

14. Kris & Teasel

You had some greens a while ago on 4 u. You've slowly worked your way back up. You could try a " skinny" 4 u next. Draw up 4 u and then let out a tiny bit of insulin so you have more than 3.75 u but not quite 4 u.

Rachel and ShipsCat like this.
  15. Theresa W

Theresa W Member

Okay, tonight shall be a skinny night. Fingers crossed...
    I have an appt with the vet tomorrow and I will ask about getting the U100 syringes as well.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd bring a copy of the conversion chart with you just so the vet knows you know what you're doing.

ShipsCat and Kris & Teasel like this.
  17. Theresa W

Theresa W Member

great advice. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.