Jack joins the group

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by saltycat, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

First off, a HUGE thank you to everyone on this forum. It has been an incredible resource for me to learn more about every aspect of feline diabetes and the various methods of testing and treating. I, like many others here treat Mr. Kitty as a family member, not just a pet and anything I can do to help him get stable and healthy helps both of us. So, FDMB members, THANK YOU!

Jack Was diagnosed on 4/5 as diabetic after I noticed some slight changes in behavior and water intake. The vet thinks I caught it pretty early which is a good thing, but I know it will be a long journey to keep things under control. I have started a SS and added in the first blood work as well to help in tracking the progress.

So far, progress has been slower then I would like, but I think I have the vet a little on her heels with all the information I am bringing to each visit, she actually called today and we had a good discussion about moving forward. Initially she wanted once a day insulin, which I have learned won't work with his high numbers and she was not too keen on at home testing but has since agreed it is good I am willing to test at home and track progress. Jack is an 11y/o male DSH who is typically around 17lb, he is a big cat, most friends call him the panther. Even at 17lb, you can see some hips on him, so he is maybe a bit overweight, but not obese.

He was started on 1U of Pro-zinc in the AM only. After a curve at the vet he was increased to 2U, again only in the AM. As of April 19th we are starting twice daily dosing. I have started at home testing using the Relion micro meter. I have started slow on the testing, partly since his numbers were high enough to not worry about hypo and partly to get him more accustomed to ear pricks. Each test gets a bit easier as he gets used to the new routine.

He has definitely lost weight(almost 2 lb) since the beginning of the month and even at 3U it just doesn't seem to be putting much of a dent in his condition, even with switching exclusively to low carb wet food(dave's pet food)http://davespetfood.com/product/daves-naturally-healthy-grain-free-canned-cat-food-chicken-whitefish-dinner-formula-3oz/.

I am going to post as well in the PZI forum since that is his current juice for now.

Jack on an adventure
    [​IMG]

Sarah Smith, Sharon14 and Critter Mom like this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Wow! Jack is one way cool cat! :cool:

Sounds like you're off to a flying start with Jack's treatment and I'm glad to hear you've got your vet onside with the home testing.

Welcome aboard! (Pun intended!) :D

Mogs

3. saltycat

Thanks for the kind words, I'll meow at him for ya! This forum has been the single best resource I've found and I'm sure Jack appreciates his human learning how to take care of his new issue. He might not be glad I learned about home testing, but he will eventually.:)

He looks like he has a twin from your profile pic;)

Wes

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Yes, indeedy! :D

As an ocean-going kitty, I'm sure Jack will take home testing in his stride. :cat:

Mogs

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Wow and Welcome to you and Jack and let us know how we can help you. Glad you will be posting over in ProZinc.

6. Critter Mom

Got any more pictures of Jack's adventure? :)

7. saltycat

I have a few more, I was paying too much attention to how he was doing and forgot to take more pics.

Relaxing in the shade and discovering life jackets make good pillows.
    [​IMG]

Exploring the boat
    [​IMG]

Critter Mom, Sharon14 and Sarah Smith like this.
  8. saltycat

Thank you for the kind welcome. This group has been a big help in keeping Jack's bean from getting too worked up. I have a thread started in the PZI forum and am doing my best to keep calm and take care of the kitty.

Bobbie And Bubba and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and Jack! He is such a lucky guy to have adventures, and someone like you in his corner on this newest one :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. Jack isn't scared at all on the boat?

11. Critter Mom

Wicked photos! Thanks for posting them. Jack is so handsome! A real mini panther. :cat:

Mogs

12. saltycat

We live close to a boat ramp on the intercoastal(much calmer then the gulf), he did not like going fast, but puttering out to the island he was calm and did not seem stressed. We knew it was 50/50 if he would like it or not, but he seemed to adapt pretty quick and really enjoyed exploring the island.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.