Jane is 577 at +6

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Jane (GA), May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

NOT a fur shot; insulin smells like a doctor's office.

What do I do?? She'll be 600 in an hour at this rate!!!

an hour later -- oddly enough, she's 558 after a little FF.

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

That is quite a spread sheet!

Your cat is particularly sensitive to insulin, I can see your frustration.

Can you put on the SS maybe best at the top-what insulin your using.
    If she is bring ing her numbers down a tad after food, it means she may possibility have some level of working pancreas (this is good)

She does seem to swing very wildy.
    I'm sure you have, but feel the need to ask-insulin in date? Stored correctly? Meter working within it's control range? Strips in date?
    Might be worth (I know more time consuming) making notes on everything to see if you can find any kid of pattern that will give an explanation for such huge swings.

Does she seem alright through the day? Or go crappy (which is what you would normally expect off such swings)

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know any particulars about Humulin R, but you might ask your Vet and/or put a question
    here on using Humulin R to bring her down when she shoots up like that.

One of the guys here has used R, but I don't remember who it was.

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Poor Janie is sure all over the place, isn't she? You're on Lantus, right? It may very well be rebound. Maybe just let her smell the insulin? :D

But I still think it's possible that something else might be going on. BG's often go up when a cat is stressed, in pain, or just plain not feeling well. Maggie was well regulated on Lev, but her bg went all over the place after her HCM dx. Jane may be having have days she just feels bad.

5. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Debby, that's my quiet, dread-filled assumption. One of three things, or a combination:
    1. The cancer has returned.
    2. Her thyroid meds are not working.
    3. The CRF is advancing.

We're having a CBC with T4 done this afternoon and will figure out what to do.

6. Maggies Mom Debby

Everyone here has their fingers, toes, and paws crossed for Janie. We all hope nothing is amiss with her bloodwork, and that she is just VERY sensitive to insulin.

By the way, she could still feel rotten without any of that really bad stuff happening. I mean, what is she in human years? Over 100? My 90 year old mom would just have bad days when she was achy, tired, felt bad. Maybe Janie is like that, too.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for our Janie.

8. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Everything ok?
    How did the bloodwork look? T4 ok?

Fingers and paws crossed here for you too.

9. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Thank you, Jayne! My Janie's numbers:
    BUN should be 10 to 30; was 179 at ER; now 113. Creatinine should be 2.1; was 4.3; now 3.5. Thyroid was 5.1 she’s at 3.7.

10. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Looks like the CRF? nailbite_smile
    you said "CRF may be advancing" so you already know how to deal with that?
    God bless you. My prayers and thoughts are with you both.

Attached Files:

11. Maggies Mom Debby

Kris, I'm so sorry it's the CRF advancing. What are you doing for it? Fluids? You know we care, so please let us know how she is.

Are you ok?

12. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Oh rats, Kris! It's most likely to be CRF, my Quirk was the only cat I know of whose insulin needs increased with cancer. Skritches to the diva and hugs to you.

13. Linda and Mandy

Linda and Mandy Member

Kris, Sending hugs ,and love to you both. Give Janie a hug and kiss for me.

14. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Is she already getting sub-q fluids? (Since you said the CRF is advancing, not sure if she's already getting fluids.) If she's not, hopefully starting those will help the #'s come down even more. It may even help the insulin work. I know they feel really punky when they're dehydrated, and you'd be surprised how much simple sub-q fluids can do for them. You'd think I work for LRS company or something.. but I just saw how much fluids make sick cats feel SO much better.. within hours! Cuddles relied so much on the fluids & wet food, that even if I fed her EVO dry when we went on vacation (while having someone come in & give her fluids), she'd still get constipated & start puking everywhere. She most likely needed more fluids when I gave her dry.. so I just made sure no matter what, she stayed on the wet food (& I usually added water to that too). Even with my foster kittens. When they're not feeling well & not eating.. I give fluids, and I usually see them perk up & start eating within hours of getting the fluids!

We're all pulling for you & Janie! Hoping she responds really well to the next step you guys take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.