Jdiabeticat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jdiabeticat, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdiabeticat

jdiabeticat New Member

Hello, our cat Diamond was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and while we were fortunate to catch it early and locate some inexpensive lantus insulin but because of a job layoff we have not purchased a monitor to and the vet does not rent them out. Diamond has been on the Purina DM but he also appears to have some arthritic problems in his hind legs. We do not want to consider euthanasia but the costs seem overwhelming considering we currently have no income. If their is anyone that can offer assistance we would greatly appreciate it as we have had our cat for 15+ years and other than the two problems I mentioned earlier seems in pretty decent health as far as we can tell. We haven't gone back to the vet yet simply because we cannot afford it. At this point any help would be appreciated.

Looking for help in Fishers, IN

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

We strongly encourage folks to home test the blood glucose with an inexpensive human glucometer (see my signature link Glucometer Notes), feed a species appropriate low carb canned or raw diet (see Cat Info), and lobby to get an effective, long lasting insulin for cats (ProZinc, Levemir, Lantus, or BCP PZI).

It is possible to get a free sample of BCP PZI if your vet requests it.
    Purina DM isn't any better than many over the counter foods so you can save by feeding foods like Friskies pates (except Mixed Grill).

3. christoph

christoph Member

I can give you my Relion Confirm.....but you'll have to buy strips. I'm in Kansas City.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Walmart sells the Relion brand metersand strips (Confirm, Micro or Prime) and they are the cheapest available. They also work well for cats and take a very small blood sample.

Next, save yourself $$ by not feeding the prescription food. It doesn't have any special ingredients that are better for your cat. You can buy plenty of inexpensive food at the local store. Such as Friskies, Fancy Feast, etc.... You don't want to feed dry food and only low carb wet food. By low carb, we mean less than 10% carbs. www.catinfo.org -- has a food comparison chart that you refer to.

If you are looking for financial assistance -- Diabetics Cats in Need - DCIN may be able to help you. go to their site. http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/p/compassionate-assistance-program.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.