Jones - no more Rx food!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Netty N., Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

Hi everyone,
    My ragdoll Jones was diagnosed in Jan. of this year, 5yo at the time. His numbers were in the 500's when it was caught. He started insulin right away, as well as "prescription" food from the vet's. I bought a meter, and did a couple of curves in the first few months per the vet's instructions, and he also had a couple of fructosamine tests. We settled in at 1.5u Lantus 2x a day, and a half wet/half dry diet. In late March, with his numbers still in the high 200's to high 300's, the vet said he was good and stable, and that I wouldn't have to test him again for several months. It still seemed so high to me, but Jones was acting better, and I was so overwhelmed with everything that I was happy to take the vet's advice and let it ride.
    A week or so ago I did a search just to see if there were any treats I might be able to feed Jones, and I went down a cat nutrition rabbit hole, where I learned how important it is to get him on a new diet ASAP. I'm giving him a curve today just to get a baseline before I change anything (first 2 readings are 375 and 379). Then the plan is to cut out dry food starting tomorrow, and have him do just the prescription wet for a couple of weeks. I'll then switch him over to something new, but I haven't decided what yet (considering raw).
    I emailed the vet to let him know, and he said ditching the dry shouldn't change his insulin need, and to recurve him in a month (With number that high I'm sure we're safe, but I will be testing him throughout). He also expressed reservations over a raw diet. I also understand that I need to be extra careful about testing when he switches to the completely new food.
    So are my vet's methods pretty standard, or is there something really wrong here? I feel so bad that I could have done so much more for Jones so many months ago, but it never would have occurred to me not to trust the vet! Especially with something as common as diabetes - I can't believe that there is so much variation and debate over treatment methods. The high protein/low carb/frequent testing way seems so obviously better, and that's the method I'll be following from here on out, so why are there vets who are not on board with this?
    I really appreciate this website, and it's so nice to have a community of folks who understand and have experience!
    Annette and Jones

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Ditching the dry can dramatically change his insulin needs, so please test often when switching and definitely before each shot. Our Oliver went down 100 points overnight when we switched from dry to wet.

In some defense of vets, they have to treat everything from snakes to hamsters sort of like a GP. So they aren't experts in any particular disease. I think they get a workshop on Feline Diabetes and their nutrition classes are often done by Purina. But, if your vet is willing to be open minded and let you do the research and implement it, he/she will likely be worth keeping.

3. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

Thanks Sue. We really do like our vet, and I do think he will be open minded. He did recommend seeing an animal nutritionist, but there isn't one in our area (I don't think I'd go anyway, until we try other things). It was just so surprising to me this week to learn how little actual nutrition training vets have, considering the importance. Just wish I'd known a little sooner to take more control.
    But I have now, and I'm really excited to see Jones' numbers drop and get him feeling as good as possible!
    I'm sorry about your boy Oliver.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    As Sue notes, ditching the dry can drop the glucose, depending on its carb level. Annecdotal reports here note drops of 100-200 mg/dL, and one even noted a drop of 300 mg/dL. This also dropped insulin requirements as much as 2 units.
    Do I take it you found Cat Info? That is our go to reference on feline nutrition, as Dr Pierson specilizes in feline nutrition. There's even a recipe there for home made raw food if you're so inclined.

5. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

I did find cat info - what a great site!
    Would anyone be able to direct me to some good existing threads about monitoring BG during a food transition that I could reference before starting my own? I'm concerned about knowing when a dose change is in order, ideal testing frequency, and how people take into account work schedules, when they won't be home in time to test kitty's nadir.
    Thanks!

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Generally, we consider a cat regulated if they are in the lower 200s at their preshot test and in double digits at nadir (usually 5-7 hours after the shot) but not below 50, which is approaching hypo territory. We suggest new diabetics not get a shot under 200.

A test before each shot is imperative, so you know the dose you are planning is safe. A nadir number lets you know how the dose is working - how low it is taking him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.