? Jonesy - Confirmed ketones between "trace and small". What now??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Darcy and Jonesy, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

I've just done another test and confirmed, Jonesy is registering between "trace and small" amount of ketones on the Ketostix? WHAT NOW?????

He's acting normal, happy, was playing on a few minutes ago. Do I need to get him to the vet tomorrow? I can't do anything tonight :(

2. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Anything above trace warrants a call to your vet. call them first thing in the morning.

How is his appetite?

3. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

Appetite is good. Will do my best to get another sample in the morning, but either way, I'll call to notify them. Thanks Sandy!

4. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

So you know, the recipe for ketone development is:
    Not enough calories + Not enough insulin + Infection/inflammation/or some other systemic stress.

please mix as much water as he will tolerate into his food. Hydration is super important at this time.

keep us posted.

5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I noticed in your signature "needs dental" - has Jonsey had his cleaning yet? If not, and if you can, you might do a visual inspection of his gums/mouth (infection).

Any history of UTI?

With a history of ketones you might want to consider a blood meter for ketones. They are a bit more accurate. Strips are $$$, but still less than a hospitalization.

Looking at his SS, time for a dose increase? Six cycles with no green. If appy still good I would increase to 1.25U

As Sandy said above, as much water in his food as he will tolerate. Fingers crossed that the test this morning is normal :bighug:

Darcy and Jonesy likes this.