July 2nd-Lovie amps 84; +2 46,42; +3 57 +4 45 +5 41, 51 +6 58

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lovie's Mom, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

yesterday

Lovie surprised me this morning with a 46 at +2! Apparently 0.25 units is STILL too much insulin. I responded immediately with high carb food and honey which she refused to eat. I then moved to greenies which she ate happily.

I have two issues now: what am I going to feed her? only Lovie can answer that question
    and the other one I'm hoping someone here can help me with... what do I do now about the insulin dose??

I checked for ketones this morning and the test was negative which is good, but I don't know what to do next...

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Since she's not on that much insulin, it's especially important that she keep eating. Was it just the high-carb food she didn't want? Did she eat a good breakfast today, so that maybe she just wasn't that hungry at +2?

Thinking ahead, you'll probably need to feed her higher-carb food as her regular food-- doesn't have to be "high", just higher than what she's got now. It seems like she's OK with adding honey to food, so that might be an easy way to add carbs regularly. I'm worried about her getting so little insulin so soon after a DKA, even though she's been doing great so far.

Do you think she'd eat the greenies with a little honey dripped on them? I see she's up to 57 now, but just thinking ahead to next time she hits 40's and doesn't want to eat :nailbiting:.

3. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

I have to leave for work in two hours and there is no one to monitor Lovie while I am gone...

She is refusing to eat her normal food today She will eat chicken lunch meat and the greenies but so far nothing else much..... I'm feeling scared because she's dropping again and she refuses to eat very much.

The only symptom that I'm seeing is that her pupils are big. This is a normal thing for her when she's uncomfortable for some reason. She has had big pupils all the other times this week when she has dropped low.

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Give her whatever she'll eat. If she hasn't started a serious upswing by the time you leave, add honey to the food you leave (assuming you're sure she'll eat it with honey-- if you aren't sure, don't). Better to have it be too much on the carbs than too little, but the really important thing is to make sure she gets enough food into her.

Lovie's Mom likes this.
  5. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

I'm testing again

6. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

its 41!!!

7. Nan & Amber (GA)

Honey time!

I'm really sorry, but I need to go offline for a little while (work). Hopefully someone else can jump on here asap, and hopefully Lovie will come up before you have to leave for work!!!! :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

Lovie's Mom likes this.
  8. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

she is finally eating some chicken lunch meat

9. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

thanks for all your help.

10. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

She's finally eating some greeenies after eating another piece of lunchmeat. We're at 51

11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

At least that is the right direction. Did you try the honey?

So we are at +5.5 right and you leave in an hour?

12. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

Yes. We are at +5.5 and I leave in about 45 minutes.

13. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok, see how much more food you can get her to eat and test again before you go. Are you able to leave food out for her?

Can you do me a favour and take down the 911 flag before you go?

I will be here.

14. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

Thank you for being here. It's been a really scarey morning. I have put a full smorgasboard of food out for her. I will get another test before I leave for work and post it.

What do you think I should do for tonight's shot?? How can I give less than 0.25?? It's a little premature to be thinking about evening shot time perhaps but I need to be prepared and I'm scared to not give her any insulin because of the recent DKA. But I'm also scared to give her insulin because she keeps dropping..... :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

15. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

+6 is 58

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  16. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, Lovie, surfs up! Stay in the deep-greens and blues for your bean while she's at work!

Lovie's Mom likes this.
  17. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

she's eating more greenies now. And I've left 8 plates of various foods for her.

18. Nan & Amber (GA)

There are smaller doses than 0.25U, but with the DKA it's probably better to work on the other end, getting her to eat enough carbs to support the insulin. Does she have any "old" favorite foods that she hasn't gotten to eat since the diabetes diagnosis?

Lovie's Mom and Mandy & Rex (GA) like this.
  19. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Here is how to get 0.1u when you shoot tonight.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Just saw @Nan & Amber posted and I like her idea better with DKA in the picture.

Jan Radar (GA) and Lovie's Mom like this.
  21. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I think if we can control Lovie's nausea with Cerenia that we will be able to get her to eat the higher carb foods she used to eat before diabetes - j/d at 30% and w/d at 25%

22. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

My Cat Ravan Hates going in the car & to the vets office. His Bg was over 500 when they drew blood. I didn't know at that time that Stress can make their Glucose zoom way up!
    My kitty was raised on raw meat for 15 yrs When he got sick he stopped eating. People here suggested I try feeding Fancy Feat Classic cat food. I told them he's never had canned food ,he won't eat it. I was syringe feeding chicken Organic baby food.
    Out of desperation I bought several cans of the Low Carb FF (fancy feast classic) To my total surprise he gobbled it right up.
    You might want to buy a few cans of Fancy Feast Classic & the FF Gravy Lovers which is High carb to bring the glucose up.

Best of luck. It will get better.

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.