Just diagnosed last Saturday

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Helen & Mr Toes, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helen & Mr Toes

Helen & Mr Toes New Member

Mr Toes was confirmed as diabetic and started insulin on Sat am.
    He's about 9-10 years old ( rescue so not known for sure).
    We are starting in 2 units 2 x a day of Caninsulin and so far no issues.
    My worry is that the vet has said he needs to be fed at 12 hour intervals, with insulin being given 30 mins after eating, but I work irregular hours and the times may have to vary a bit.
    Does anyone know how much variation on times is safe?
    Any advice much appreciated.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Please repost on the main health forum where more people will see your message. Ask any/all questions you have over there.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Helen, welcome to you and cute Mr Toes! I don't have experience with Canninsulin, but since it's an in and out insulin you can vary the times a bit if you are home testing and thus know that it's ok to shoot. Come to the Main Health Forum. There are several members from the UK that can help you with specific meters and foods and we'll all help you learn to test and set up a schedule that will work for you.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Are you testing at home? Usually cats start at 1 unit and raise only if the numbers continue to be high. There is a little wiggle room, but try to keep it within an hour. It's less risky if you home test. We can help you with that of you are willing to try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.