Just diagnosed today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SandraK, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandraK

SandraK New Member

Hello! My cat, Loki, was just diagnosed as diabetic today. Not even 2 hours ago, actually.

I have had Loki for about 5 months now. He was a stray that someone had posted on facebook asking for assistance with. The poor thing was sitting on her snowy deck shivering, I couldn't say no to helping him. I've had him into the vets a couple of times now. Ear infection and inflamed gums the first time. Physical exam, shots and worm treatments the second time. Today he was supposed to be going in to be neutered and micro chipped.

The vet called me just over an hour ago to tell me the blood test before surgery did not come back good. His blood sugar is over 500 right now. We had also previously thought he might be between 2 and 3 years old. The only sign they saw in the previous visits that might have indicated he was an older cat was the build up on his teeth. Now we're not so sure what his age is.

I don't know exactly what his treatment will be just yet. All the vet said over the phone is insulin shots and monitored feedings. I'll find out more on what insulin and such when I go back to the vets office in 3 and a half hours to pick up my poor kitty and begin learning how to care for a diabetic cat

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! You will get a lot of help here.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome! Lots of info and a great community here. Check back with the board, let us know how Loki is. He looks like a very sweet baby.

4. SandraK

SandraK New Member

He is a very loving cat. Didn’t like the ride to or from the vets office, but he was purring and headbutting anyone who’d pet him while he was there.

So it looks like he’s going to be on lantus to start, 1 unit twice a day. No change to his food for now. They offered a prescription for Hills science brand food, but I’m not sure I want to go with that

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Do any of us like the ride to the vet?:cool: There is a lot of information here on feeding, injecting insulin and home testing your kitteh. You can read the yellow tagged info and stickies at the top of the forums. Post questions in the Main forum and the Lantus forums. We all learned to do the sugar dance, I know you will do well.:D

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  6. SandraK

SandraK New Member

I'm definitely glad I stumbled across this place while researching what taking care of him is going to be like now. So much to learn, and so much information here to help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.