Just diagnosed today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MichelleZ, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichelleZ

MichelleZ New Member

So, the vet just called and my wonderful ginger and cream boy is severely diabetic! He can't catch a break -- I have had him since he was 6 weeks old when I scooped him up from the middle of the highway after he was hit by a truck! He's always been a gentle and compassionate boy and now I have to traumatize him with shots, frequent trips in the carrier in the evil car, and the smell of d-o-g at the v-e-t!
    Sorry, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.
    I'm Michelle. Watson is my cat. We have three other fur kids in the house.
    I'm glad this group and page are here so that I can learn as we go along since I fear I will forget to ask the vet for some crucial piece of information.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Michelle and Watson. I realize you feel overwhelmed with the diagnosis, but I assure you that feline diabetes is a very treatable condition and just about every member here is dealing with it. Who told you that your cat would be traumatized with shots? I gave shots to Idjit and he never noticed. Yep, going to the vet is stressful, but you don't have to go in the car to to the vet unless there is some other medical issue that needs to be attended to. You test the blood sugar at home, like we do, saving time, $$, and the stress on your cat (vet visits usually raise blood sugar levels). We test before shots to be sure it's safe, we test other times to determine how the insulin is affecting the cat, to prevent hypos, and we do our own curves. Many members have multiple cat households and will help with management questions.
    So, just telling you now, you are your kitty's best caretaker, the information is here on the board for you to read and learn, there are many members here to support and advise you. The members here helped me to help Idjit into remission, something I wasn't even aware was possible before coming here.
    You may want to post in the Main Forum, as this is essentially the welcome mat on the front porch and many members don't have the opportunity to check here as often. Here is a link to the main forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    You may also want to add to your signature more information such as:
    cat's name,
    cat's age
    cat's weight, if known
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin type and dosage
    what kind of glucose meter you use
    what kind of food you feed
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    a general geographical location, as time zones vary and sometimes your need for information and/or advice could be urgent
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

3. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

You can do this! I promise you that he will not be traumatized by the shots or home testing. Cleo doesn't even know she's getting injected. I give her a treat before and after the injection and that's all she notices. She thinks I am just giving treats twice a day. She starts begging for treats and insulin, if she thinks I've forgotten. Please, consider home testing. It's the best way to keep her safe and healthy and to save you both the trauma and expense of visiting the vet. Cleo has only seen the vet once since her diagnosis. A month from now, you'll have mastered all this and your relationship with Watson will be stronger than ever.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

They hardly feel the shot at all. Really it's no big deal. Start testing at home. Once I did my cat didnt go back to the vet for a year. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home. You can see she is not phased by it at all.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Jenna and Widget likes this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! The shots and testing are not stressful at all. Mia comes to me and jumps up in her testing spot voluntarily. Of course, when you first start, it is not quite that easy, but it gets easier quickly. And as far as vet visits - no need! If you test at home, there is just no reason to put the baby through stressful vet visits. Once ever six months is plenty.. some even go a year.

You will get a lot of advice and support here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.