Just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Fuzzbomb, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzbomb

Fuzzbomb New Member

Hi there. Our cat, Coco, was recently diagnosed with diabetes. We started insulin (Vetsulin) yesterday, and got an Up & Up meter for home testing.

Coco is nearly 15, and a month or so ago got an ear infection that really took it out of her. It came back recently & still hasn't seemed to go away, despite antibiotics & tri-otic ointment. So they tested her blood - glucose level at 350. We switched her to fancy feast classics (along with our other cats) and let that settle for a week before taking. Her back for another test & to start insulin. I have been reading a ton, but I definitely need to ask questions - especially regarding home testing. So here I am.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello to you and Coco and welcome to FDMB!

(I replied to your other post and got the name of your kitty wrong, sorry (called her 'Fuzzbomb'....:rolleyes: ))

Please ask any questions you want to. We're here to help. :)

Best wishes,

Eliz

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info,
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

4. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Welcome Fuzzbomb and Coco. Sorry that you found FDMB because it means you've gotten on the roller coaster that is feline diabetes. But everyone here will help you in any way we can, I've learned a lot and you will too. If you're feeling sad and or overwhelmed, that's very normal, but it will get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.