Just diagnosed..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Crittersmom, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crittersmom

Crittersmom New Member

My mother passed away in March and now her baby cat, Critter, has been diagnosed with diabetes...just last week. I promised her I would take care of him so there's a lot of guilt here. I have learned to give the shots, but it is a lot of responsibility. We took him to the vet because the was urinating everywhere. He has slowed down, but still occasionally has an accident. Will this continue to improve?

2. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Welcome to our FDMB family and be patient with yourself. You sound like you really love your cats, so you have come to the perfect place. Get some chocolate, sit back and get ready to read. Also, remember Every Cat Is Different. (ECID) Also, remember opinions may vary sometimes on this board, so you may get different views. Unfortunately, that is human nature.
    Sorry this is very long, but there is a lot to say! Also, remember we were ALL newbies once and are feeling just like you are right now! :) OK……..breathe………. :RAHCAT

This disease is very manageable and by no means a death sentence. There is just some learning we all had to do. You do not need any type of prescription food or “special” diabetic food. Janet & Binky’s chart is on the top of this page! Low carb is best for diabetics. I try to stay around 10% or under. I feed Whiskas, 9-Lives and mostly Friskies. If you are giving a high dose of insulin and feeding dry, be careful with switching to canned food. You MUST reduce the insulin at the same time you switch to canned food.

Please create a profile if you have not already done so. It will help us to help you. We need to know what kind of insulin you are on, what needles you are using (U-40 or U-100), what are you feeding, how much insulin you are giving and when, BG test results, etc. There are many people on this board from all over the world, so it will be helpful to know what area and time zone you are in. :coffee:

Remember that your cat is YOUR cat, and YOU are paying your VET to help you take care of him; diabetes was probably a day or two worth of notes when the vet was in college; it is probably NOT a day-to-day existence with his own cat trying to maintain a quality of life. Sorry to say, but I would have overdosed my guys on insulin if I followed my vet's advice. Vets, unfortunately are not as knowledgeable as they should be on diabetes.

Sometimes, as I did, you have to take a leap of faith and trust these people on this board who deal with diabetes day in and day out. Trust me. You will not be disappointed. OK………..breathe again……….get some chocolate…….. cat_pet_icon

Also, please realize that it takes insulin about a week to settle. START LOW AND GO SLOW!! The usual starting dose from our experiences is 1u twice a day for at least a week. Insulin in cats is NOT and I repeat NOT based on weight. This is a misconception that a lot of us have gotten from our vets here. pc_work

You have to be patient, as I also had to learn!! Do not adjust the dose upwards based on one test. Don’t freak out based on one test result. As long as the levels stay on the high side, keep the same dose twice a day for at least the initial week period and you should see improvements. When you have some time (hee hee), read my profile.

If you are not hometesting already, you really need to start!! Hometesting is VERY important. Think of it as a human diabetic does. *If it were you or a child of yours, you'd be testing blood glucose levels at home prior to each shot; you'd be working with your doctor to determine a proper dose based on those shot results, correct?* Some vets do not agree with hometesting and I cannot for the life of me understand why. Most vets, sadly are not knowledgeable enough in feline diabetes. Insulin is a VERY powerful drug and you NEED to hometest before giving a shot. This is very important. The vet would rather have you bring the cat to them, stress it out more, which may spike the levels anyway and then they can charge you $$. Hometesting saved me a lot of money and it is VERY important for you personally to know the cat’s levels and how it is reacting to the insulin before you shoot so you do not pass up your ideal dosage.
    Thanks to everyone's help here I learned to home test 2 cats and they both got off insulin within 3 weeks with diet change…but of course, they reacting both DIFFERENTLY with the process. If I can do it with 2 cats twice a day (and more on curve days), ANYONE can do it. It does NOT hurt them as much as you think it does. It just stings for a moment and then it is gone, you can try it on yourself. Also, put pressure on the ear after poking and it should minimize the nub. They won't mind it once they start feeling better. I use the True Track meter (CVS or Walgreens brand) which I love. And, the strips are also reasonable. Also, remember to give them a treat after the test. Here is a link to a member videos on hometesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ6iXetR398

I would not feed DRY food if at all possible. Of course, it is better than nothing – you MUST get them to eat if you are giving insulin, but if there is any chance, get them off the dry. I took my guys off dry and within a month they were off insulin. Again, remember that switching from dry to wet can cause a drop in blood sugars, so you MUST reduce insulin at the same time to make sure you are not giving too much insulin. I truly believe also that I saved some of my many others from developing diabetes. I also saved so, so much money changing them all to regular canned cat food.
    When Blackie and Jackie got diagnosed, I was afraid to start shots. The people on this board made me realize it was no big deal. (They went on PZI insulin around 3-25-06 and went off on 4-18-06! :) Please also realize that diet plays a BIG, BIG part in insulin needs. I switched my cats off dry food to all wet and I was never so happy. It was a challenge to try to regulate 2 cats at once.

Welcome to the Sugar Dance. flip_cat
    Welcome to the Vampire Club.

If I can do it, ANYONE can!!!
    It does get easier. Trust us.

You need to test BEFORE you shoot. It usually goes: Test, Feed, Shoot

There's a saying something like "better the sugar level is too high for a day than too low for a minute".

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Crittersmom,
    welcome to the FDMB!

Would you be able to give a bit more details on Critter's diagnosis?
    What test were done to determine diabetes?
    What is Critter's current diet consist of?
    Weight?
    Are you hometesting and what insulin and dose are u on for Critter?
    If you can, tell us your location, state/province/city is fine, there may be member(s) in your area that may be able to assist.

These questions will help others guide you along. You're gonna be ok, you're gonna hear that a lot, you're gonna hear breath... and you're going to know you found the right place to get the support and guidance you're looking for.

In the meantime, please read thru the Health Links

viewforum.php?f=14

The Nutrition and Diet link from Dr Lisa will become your best source of information for feline nutrition!
    I'm so glad you found the board here - please ask, vent, cry whatever you're feeling - many people here have been in your shoes! cat_pet_icon

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Just wanted to welcome you to the best site on the planet!
    Sorry for the loss of your mother. You are in good hands here.
    Jeanne

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board! You've come to the right place to help Critter and yourself. :)

You've gotten good advice and questions already. Read everything you can, and ask any question you can think of. We've all been where you are, and we're here to help. :D

6. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

I just joined the group yesterday, so we can be newbies together :razz:

I gave Moses his first insulin shot today, so I don't really know much. But I do know how to begin since I'm on Day 1.

Good luck, I look forward to reading more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.