Just wanted to introduce myself

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheenalover, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheenalover

Cheenalover New Member

I am new too all of this. In the last month my life has been turned upside down. I have two cats.. Cheena is 15 and Ali is 7. On Easter this year, Cheena became suddenly ill and could not pee. I rushed her to the Emergency Vet and was told she had a UTI. Now, she has always been very healthy. This being the second time in 15 years I had any kind of health issue with her.
    Anyways, she got started on antibiotics and seemed to be getting better. A week later I realized that now she is peeing up a storm. So much pee I was really scared. Back to the vet we go only to now be told she is diabetic. Ok, thats fine. I start her on insulin and she seems to be doing better. Now, 2 more weeks later and she is starting to pee like crazy again. The vet never said anything about taking her back in or home testing or anything.
    At this point I am really scared as she is not any better. During all this, I had forgotten that my sister in law works at a vets office. I finally call her to see what she thinks we should do. She has me have the other vet fax all Cheena's records up there. One of the vets in this office specializes in feline diabetes. So, now I am taking her 90 minutes away to see what we can do. I am hoping that we get things under control.
    I have also noticed a big change in Cheena's personality. She is not the same cat. Very stand offish and wont even get on the bed or couch. She is normally my shadow and now, she wont come near me. I am really missing her...
    Anyways, this is my kinda, sorta introduction to us. Thanks for reading and hope to meet some great people!

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sorry you are going through this. Cheena is not feeling well and that is why she is standoffish as you said. Hopefully this vet can help you.

In the meantime, read through the informational sticky notes for the insulin you are using. Your first vet doesn't sound like a keeper. At the minimum you have been back for a re-check.

Would you consider home testing?

3. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

4. Cheenalover

Cheenalover New Member

I am actually going to make sure the vet knows I want to do home testing. It will be better for Cheena all around. I want her to get better and that seems a good start.

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  5. Cheenalover

Cheenalover New Member

Right now she is 2 on units of Lantus every 12 hours..

6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

I don't think your post came through

7. Cheenalover

Cheenalover New Member

Sorry, my computer is being difficult.. She is on 2 units of Lantus every 12 hours. I have completely changed her diet as well. I used to free feed hard food.. And now its controlled feeding of Fancy Feast... She is not happy she isnt getting any treats.. She needs to lose a little weight.. Maybe that is also a part of her being stand offish..

8. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and your girls. There are alot of folks here using Lantus, so I know you will find some great advice and tips. Hope the new vet can get Cheena on the road to remission quickly

9. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB and sorry to hear that Cheena has been diagnosed with diabetes. This disease is very treatable and with starting home testing, setting up a spreadsheet (you can get help if there is a problem) and feeding the right diet you can help Cheena get back on the road to health.

10. Spunky's Mama

Spunky's Mama New Member

My girl Spunky was diagnosed 5mths ago (November 2015). She went into remission March 31/16. Her personality had also changed and she's looking great now! Every now and then she gives me a scare but she is back to acting almost like a kitten again! The beginning is challenging and it takes time to get her sugars under control. If you can home test definitely do it! Makes all the difference. Not to mention, the large majority of cats are known to go into 'spontaneous remission'. There is no way to know if this has happened without home testing so you could end up giving her insulin when not needed forcing her into a hypoglycemic reaction. Also, with sugars being so whacky in the beginning, it's hard to be certain when it is safe to give and when not to.

Welcome! This group is so far amazing, informative and supportive. I hope Cheena begins to feel better soon!

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

What you do at home to help your cat is out of the vet's hands and frankly none of their business, so even if the vet gives you push back about home testing (and many do, for the most ludicrous reasons), you will be doing yourself and your cat a favour testing at home. Tests taken at the vet's are usually elevated due to stress leading to higher than needed doses of insulin being prescribed. Testing at home is the only way to get accurate BG readings and makes regulating your cat more likely, much easier on both of you and keeps kitty safe.

12. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

I can attest to this from last night! My vet originally told me home testing wasnt neccesary, but I started it anyway. It helped me keep Cooter (with much appreciated help from folks here!) from dropping to a dangerous level last night after a dosage increase from the vet yesterday.

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

Since you have changed the diet, the glucose may well have dropped - as much as 200 mg/dL! Please get an inexpensive human glucometer asap (ex Target Up and Up, Walmart ReliOn Confirm or Confirm Micro or Prime, Arkray Glucocard 01 or 01 mini at www.adwdiabetes.com), matching test strips, and lancets labelled for alternate site testing (26-28 gauge and more likely to get a blood drop).

Also see my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for other assessments to help you evaluate your cat, especially dehydration checks, and food and water intake and output.

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.