Just wondering about fructosamine testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by laura55, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura55

laura55 New Member

Can an accurate test result be obtained after a cats blood sample has been frozen for 3 days before tested? Thank you!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Well, from what I found from a quick search, it appears that if the serum was frozen soon after the blood was taken, it should be okay. Staying at room temperature or even refrigerated, on the other hand, leads to incorrect results.

Here is a paper I found:
    https://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/sites/default/files/vpath/Diagnostic Services/clinical-pathology/news-resources/Fructosamine.pdf

And, in this study, they used frozen serum (frozen up to 2 weeks):
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1939-1676.1996.tb02081.x

This is not a topic I personally know anything about, mind you, but this is what I found. :)

3. laura55

laura55 New Member

Thank you so much! I searched for information and couldn't find anything! I have been suspecting incorrect testing by prior vet 2 months ago when I was told Buddy's diabetes was being controlled. Changed vets and he is still uncontrolled with increasing doses periodically. I am just thankful I changed vet when I did.

4. C&C

C&C Member

I just had this frutosamine test done on Chloe. She has been on 3 units of prozinc and has been diabetic since 2014. We brought her in to the vet and her level on a pet meter was 160 about 2 hours after her shot and breakfast. The fruc test shows 267.5 and the chemistry glucose shows 35. No thyroid testing has ever been done. She has been losing some weight and is around 8.8 pounds. When she was diagnosed with diabetes she was at 11.2 pounds. She is around 78 years old in people years. The vet wants us to decrease her insulin to 2.0 per day for one week then down to 1 per day for two weeks and then have her tested again. I have no idea if her blood work was frozen or not but it was tested the very next day. I am wondering if her levels are low due to something else like thyroid or it may not have been frozen etc. ?? They are thinking that she is headed to being taken off of insulin. Any advice her is appreciated. Thank you...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.