Kathy: check your PMs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna & Shiloh (GA), Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

...I can help you with home testing if you need assistance. It took me years to test Shiloh because he was so difficult. Now it is second nature. You have found the best place on earth for info on diabetes. Glad to have someone close by. Shiloh had been going to Dr. Jen Derstine at Rockhill, and now goes to Dr. Connelly at Gwynedd Vet Hosp near Lansdale since he's been sick. That is where my other cat goes for chemo. Donna

2. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

...Kathy, I just read your post about finding a new vet. He sounds like a good choice. Especially since he will start Bert (who is a sweet looking cat, by the way) on Lantus. So many vets don't want to use that. Lantus has a good reputation for getting cats to be diet controlled only. Since Bert is now a wet food only cat, he may be a great candidate for this. Rockhill doesn't use that but did agree to it for Shiloh . Gwynedd uses it routinely.

...Shiloh free feeds on mostly wet. Because of his history of anorexia and being on Prednisone now for his appetite, he is allowed anything he wants to eat. I just adjust his insulin accordingly.

... Make sure you have a bottle of Karo on your kitchen counter. If Bert ever acts strange: walking in circles, or confused, take his sugar and if it's low (which it probably is), rub some Karo on his gums. Read about hypos and be prepared. I've had to do this a few times with Shi. It's very scary. I am proud of you for learning to test so easily! This is wonderful. Taking care of Bert's diabetes is alot easier now that you will know his numbers.

...Donna

3. Kathy

Kathy Member

I check my PM and am so happy you are in the same town as us!!!

So what was your feeling on Rockhill vet?

I am/was seeing the same vet as you and she wanted Bert in there for a 3 day test to start him on insulin.

4. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

...Hi Kathy! I would not have recommended Rockhill to you because I think they are not up to date on diabetes, or really encourage testing. Not good for a newbie. A lot of vets want the cat for 3 days, but if you start slow and test , I see no reason for it. Dr JD was Shiloh's vet for the first 3 years of his diabetes, and we did survive without testing (thank God!). I got my computer 5 years ago, found this message board, and started to be proactive about his care. They also don't use Lantus, which can be a better choice for many kitties. I was able to get her to order it for Shi. Gwynedd routinely starts cats on it, and know more about it. What are your plans now for Bert? Donna

5. Kathy

Kathy Member

Bert is going to Indian Valley tomorrow(I hope).
    Rockhill vet was not sure if they could get Bert's records over there in time.
    I am going to pick them up tomorrow on my way to his new vet.

IV only wants Bert for the day and it is to start him on Lantus and to do the curve for the first day.
    Unless he gets all wonky, they will let me take him home tomorrow night. :mrgreen:

So I am hoping I can keep my appt. tomorrow.
    At the latest he will have an appt. on Thursday with the new vet.

His BG have been running in the 240's just with a diet change :)

6. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Syringes

Good luck with your appt. Let us know what happens. A word about syringes. Lantus needs a syringe with half unit markings. At least it makes it alot easier. I get Good Neighbor Pharmacy #38396-0445-64. 29 gauge, 3/10 cc, with half unit markings. I get them at Sellersville pharm. Make sure they give you the right ones, as they have in the past given me the wrong ones. I found they have the best price on the Lantus, too. Donna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.