Kee Kee and I survived our first Sub Q

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat and sweet max, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Thank you for the link that showed how to do it. I couldn't figure out how to assemble it. And as for the experience, I felt like I had to force the needle into the tent of his skin. He moaned a wee bit, but let me continue. I didn't ensure the needle tip opening was facing up, and I may not have entered the skin as far back as I should have. He has been trying to lick it, so I hope I didn't blow it.

New Food: ProPlan Chicken & Rice dry, 40% protein, and 12% fiber. Will the fiber be harder to digest? Any suggestions on a better food will be appreciated. The vet wasn't happy about the canned FF. She said it was just like giving him candy.

I need to do anything and everything that may help this megacolon. He has been going in to be unplugged too often. And the vet suggested PTS. But I told her "One More Try".

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

ETA: Can needles be reused. The tech said they could. What is the best form of Cisapride to purchase? The vet wrote the prescription for 5 mg ipo bid #60.

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/search/Cisapride.html

I found this info about types of compounding. I guess it depends on what is easiest for you to give Kee Kee.

what needles did the vet give you? Probably monojects? Green cap?

Just like insulin syringes, the needle dulls with each use, and will hurt more each time. When I was giving Merlyn subqs 2x a day, I confess to reusing one time..one per day. I was using Terumos which are sharper..not sure I would reuse monojects (which most vets give)

3. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

The Monoject was very difficult to put in the skin. Why do they have to be so thick?

Hugs and Healing!

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

4. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Fancy Feast is a better quality food than Pro Plan is - it has more REAL meat in it and cats are obligate carnivores! They need meat. I do not know why the vet thinks otherwise unless she just is ignorant of the ingredients. You can always add fiber to the Fancy Feast. Buy fiber capsules, (psyllium), snip off the end of a couple, pour them into the food, and stir it up. Be sure to add water to the food, too. Fiber, btw, does not digest. It adds bulk to stool and helps sweep out the digestive system. Right now, dry food really is not, in my opinion, a good choice, either. Dry food is going to pull even more water from his system just so that he can digest the food. He does not need more water pulled from his digestive system. Slippery Elm Bark Powder is also helpful in maintaining the mucosa of the gut and intestines.

I would also suggest that you start giving him daily doses of a good probiotic, such as fortiflora, as good gut bacteria is important in passing stool.

~M

5. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

No Sub Q Tonight

Kee Kee cried and pulled away when I tried to insert the needle (new one). Why the heck are they so large? I don't think a sewing machine needle is that big.

Tips anyone?

Hugs and Headbutts,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

6. Mary & Stormy Blue

Re: No Sub Q Tonight

What size and what brand of needle, is it? I use monoject 18gauge for Stormy Blue and I use a fresh one each time.
    You are pulling up a nice tent to poke it into, yes? It DOES hurt to get poked, so poke fast and sure, (but gently). That makes it easier on the kitty.

~M

7. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Yes, 18 ga Monoject, new needle. I think he remembered that pain from the night before, and was prepared for it. I tried putting treats in front of him. That didn't work.

Sigh...

8. Mary & Stormy Blue

It could be that he remembered the coldness of the fluids and not the pain of the needle. Cold fluid can be uncomfortable. Warm the bag of fluids until it is about his body temperature. (I use a large bowl and fill it with hot water and let the bag sit in there with the top pointing up).
    Make him a nice comfy spot in a quiet room. (I use the top of a dog crate covered in a folded blanket with a cat pad on top of that.) Lay him on his tummy and stroke, or brush him for awhile. Talk soothingly to him until he relaxes. Hang the bag on a wall hook, or something similar, so that it is about 2ft. higher than he is, (Gravity helps the fluids run faster). Once he is relaxed and the fluid is warmed, then you can poke him and administer the fluids. Keep talking to him as they run in - keep petting him. It does get easier with time.

~M

9. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Is it possible to heat the bag, after I've used it? Is there a chance something will get contaminated?
    DD held him for me tonight, so even though he wasn't thrilled, it was successful.

Thank you for all of the great tips.

Hugs and Headbutts, Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

10. Mary & Stormy Blue

Yeppers! You can warm the bag each time you administer fluids. It is not going to get contaminated if you point the end that the fluids come out of UP and keep the line out of the water. Don't use boiling water - use hot water from the tap.

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.