Ketones present

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kate & Toby, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

I've just tested Toby routinely as I do most days and he has ketones, I'd noticed extra drinking today but apart from that hes his normal happy self. I've reduced his insulin the last few days as trying to combat the bounce. I know I need to feed, keep hydrated and give insulin to overcome ketones, weve been here a number of times, I just dont know if I should take him to the emergency vets.

This is my worst nightmare.

Attached Files:

2. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

I'm sorry no one has answered yet - I would err on the side of caution - I'm not an expert here, but I've heard that anything over "trace" needs attention. Can you add the 911 tag to your title?

Kate & Toby likes this.
  3. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Also with the recent DKA I would be extra extra cautious. I'm sorry you're going through this.

4. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Thanks Kes, appreciate the input. I've my little boy asleep and I'm home alone so would need to call a friend or wake him up in order to take Toby to vets, (never straight forward is it).
    Hes showing absolutely no signs, hes eaten well tonight, been drinking, been playful and happy, other times hes had DKA he has been so very poorly I wish I could test again, but that means waiting for another wee. Agghhh.... I'm torn/stuck

5. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Hopefully someone who is experienced with ketones can chime in here - or can tag someone who is.

Kate & Toby likes this.
  6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

It's really good news that he's acting himself. That level on the strip is very concerning-- if that's a true reading, then yes, I'd take him to a vet. The strips do darken over time if you read them past the recommended time (usually a matter of seconds), but even so, he's definitely got something brewing, and things can really spiral rapidly when it comes to ketones.

At this stage, hopefully the vet should be able to get the ketones under control quickly with some fast-acting insulin and some fluids to help flush things out. Moving forward, he'll likely need more insulin to help keep them from recurring, but one step at a time.

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  7. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Thanks for your reply Nan. The strip turned the dark red almost immediately, so definitely wasn't over due.

8. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, the good news is that by catching it very very early, the vets should be able to take care of things before it gets to the DKA nightmare you've already lived through.

After he gets back on track, you might want to look into getting a blood ketone meter to test him. Strips are pricey, but the ability to instantly check ketones without waiting for a trip to the litterbox is so helpful when caring for a ketone-prone cat like Toby.

Kate & Toby likes this.
  9. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

I hydrated Toby all night and kept getting him to eat and he remained very chipper and happy. I retested for ketones at 4 am, Imagine the scene, me in my pyjamas in the garden in the dark reaching under a wet bush to catch some urine!!...... but I failed to get any, retested at 6am and just had one level above trace. Phoned the vets and took him in, they don't think he is dehydrated, and agreed he seems very well. They have kept him in for bloods and to check his blood for ketones, I can collect him later. Hoping I have caught this early and this will give them the motivation to get him onto Lev.

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Lol I am picturing it right now and laughing my butt off. I'm glad his ketones went down and he is at the vets being checked out. Please keep us updated. That face of his is just too adorable

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  11. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Toby is home, he had his bloods done all good if anything improved on the previous ones from 5 weeks ago. Blood PH perfectly normal, ketone test negative. He was home within 4 hours.
    Just goes to show home testing and catching it early and we are safe. Phew! Thank you all xx

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear this, you are a good mama. I just love that face of his. He is such a gorgeous kitty

Kate & Toby likes this.
  13. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Thanks Diane. Means a lot. I'm still watching him like a hawk but I'm very pleased. Just need to sort his BG now x

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.