Ketones testing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ctmorris, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

Can someone tell me how to do this? I use clumping kitty litter do you put a bunch of strips into the litter box and hope that she hits one? or??

2. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Some people try to get a large spoon or ladle under them to catch it. I've never had any luck as Tess sits down and faces out, "No messin' w/ mah butt!"

Others replace the litter temporarily w/ aquarium gravel.

Another way is to put a layer of plastic over the litter .

If you need to check frequently because the cat is prone to ketones, I'd get a TidyCat Breeze system box. The "litter" is non-absorbent pellets and the pee goes through to a pad underneath. You just take out or cover the pad to catch the sample. BTW those pads really decrease the smell!

4. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

Ya - Lucky doesn't even let me get near the box if she is going. I may try the plastic trick but she usually digs around in there a bit and is quite particular about what she walks on..

The problem with the breeze system for me would be my other cat Indy. He is Huge... 17 lbs and when he stretches out he's over 3 feet long. He has a hard time using a box and keeping his business in the box.. So I had to go to this really large 2.75 ft litter box so he keeps his business in it.. instead of on the floor around it. I've tried tons of different incarnations and this box is the only one he will use. I got the strips - so let me try the plastic idea..

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You can ask these questions in your daily condo and just add the question mark prefix or question temporarily in the subject box. We are asked to post one condo a day here as there are so many posting.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you want to buy a blood ketone meter, NovaMax has a promotion and you can get the meter for free. The strips cost about $1.00 per strip -- very pricey. Most of us use ketostix unless we have a cat that's prone to ketones. In that situation, the meter makes good sense since you don't have to stalk your cat to the box in order to insure a fresh urine sample.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Crumple some plastic wrap around the outer perimeter of the litter box and watch alertly in the half hour or so after eating when cats are likely to eliminate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.