Kim and Hina, new to dm

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kim_M, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim_M

Kim_M New Member

Hi! My name is Kim and my beautiful blue Russian, bobtail is Hina. She is 15.5 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes on 2/27. So we are closing in on two weeks on our diabetes journey. Before her diagnosis she was depressed and distant. The instant we started Vetsulin, she was back to my cuddly sweet baby. This has been so stressful for me. I have noticed in the past 3 or so days that she has come up with an abcess. Also she has scabs all over from scratching. Could this be a side effect? Had anyone else had any side effects?

Peridot700 likes this.
  2. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

It sounds like she has a skin condition that needs to be checked out by the vet ? Possibly due to her compromised immune system due to diabetes...

3. Kim_M

Kim_M New Member

Thanks for the advice. I do plan on contacting our vet on Monday. She has been really great about keeping herself clean and it doesn’t seem to bother her.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

When my cats numbers were high just before diagnosis, and again when she fell out of remission she started compulsively licking and biting her belly causing her nipples to bleed. Once her numbers were in control she stopped. So it could be stress related, but a vet yep is a good idea esp with an abscess... She may need medication.

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.