kit dosing plan for today PM go up 0.25U to 1.5U

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JOJI and Kit, Apr 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

just had her finish a tiki ff mix from earlier plate
    and 0.4oz 21% carb w 1.5 FF
    will BG again in 20 min

@Deb & Wink or others want to keep us on the rails, we welcome your comments

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Reason for edit: clarification
  2. JOJI and Kit

79 BG time for a normal meal tiki and ff

3. JOJI and Kit

107 BG after another 20 min.
    and of course when i went to get the sample, she was all like "you're interrupting my bird channel show"

and of course 0.25U reduction for the PM if we get into the shootable range.

4. JOJI and Kit

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Well I aint much help but I am a cheerleader! ;):coffee:

6. JOJI and Kit

7. JOJI and Kit

:bighug:

8. JOJI and Kit

annnnddddd PMPS 507 :banghead:

9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

You did ok managing the low numbers today J & J.

You've got that right. Even with the bounce to the black number, take the reduction. Good, I see you did that, looking at Kit's SS.

You knew she was going to bounce. But still, it's so frustrating when she does.:(

Been away most of the day. Errands, running low on some things.
    Then I came home, ate breakfast at noon, and broke a ceramic bowl, putting my tea mug into the bowl too hard.
    At least I was finished eating, no cuts from the big shards, but cleanup took awhile. Had to wipe floor with a damp cloth, do laundry, vacuum up the slivers, ...............

10. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

RATS!!
    Yeah, I agree, you know it's coming but it's such a letdown.

11. JOJI and Kit

When we don't see you on the forum, we start worrying! Good to know you were taking care of some errands. Sorry about the broken bowl!

Yes, this bouncing is no fun. But, we were so ready for this low number because of your tutelage. We have your pearls of wisdom that we save to read in instances like these. We are (okay I am ...Joji) second guessing the feeding we did after we hit that 58.

Epimedium, Omphalodes, bleeding heart blooming here, bloodroot at the end. Happy Gardening!

12. Deb & Wink

Just wait until the gardening really picks up around here. I'll be MIA for weeks, so look for me in the mulch pile,

Where's the picture of those plants you mentioned?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  13. Deb & Wink

What would you have done differently?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  14. JOJI and Kit

Photos later! Also visited a friend today who has a large glorious garden- backboned by hundreds of Rhodos/Azaleas.

So....I "panicked" at 58 BG and gave Kit some high carb food right away (not much, but still...). JW says you recommended beginning with her normal food and working up to the high carb if needed.

15. Deb & Wink

Hey, nothing wrong with "panicking" and getting those BG levels back up fast. It's the natural reaction, to get your cat food, high carb food, and get those numbers up NOW!

It also depends on when in the cycle the low occurs. Kit had that 58 at +3, so was a good 2-3 hours away from her normal nadir. No worries trying it bring up the BG levels, especially since you had 2-3 more hours for nadir time.

How is this for a plan:

Yes, starting with the normal food is the first step when you get a low number in the 50's.
    Then you retest in 20 minutes to see if the BG's are rising.
    If steady, give 1 more teaspoon of normal food. And retest within 20-30 minutes.
    If dropping still, at a 58 I would have pulled out the medium carb food.
    If dropping still, after a second teaspoon of medium carb food, I think I would have pulled out the high carb food.

If BG's are rising, and rising by at least 20-25%, from lows like that, it's ok then to slow down on the feedings. You don't want to fill up your cat too quickly with food. You need your cat to be willing to eat, if the BG numbers go down later in the cycle.

If you have low numbers in the 40's, you feed those numbers, usually with a bit of medium carb food. And do the test, feed, cycle again and again. We call it "rinse, lather, repeat."

If you have low numbers in the 30's, you pull out the big guns and use that high carb food, and maybe even put a drop or two of corn syrup or honey on top of the food. Squeeze the gravy out of the can of food and let your cat eat that gravy.

If you have low numbers in the 20's, you go straight to giving corn syrup (like Karo) or honey, smeared on the gums and some gravy from the high carb food. If you have a blunt tipped syringe, you can administer the simple sugar anally. And you test every 15-20 minutes to make sure the number gets back above 70-80 and stays there for at least 2 hours.

If you have low numbers in the 20's, you need to bring them up as fast as you can. You may want to go to a 24 hour vet emergency clinic, if you can't get the numbers up on your own.

Depends on the hypoglycemia symptoms you are seeing also, as to how you respond.

Simple sugars, like corn syrup or honey, and the gravy from the high carb food wear off quickly. So you need to keep monitoring, until your cat is up to safer numbers.

There are some guidelines in this thread, when you get low numbers.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dont-panic-or-how-to-handle-low-numbers.210109/

16. JOJI and Kit

kit "earned" another 0.25 unit reduction today at +5
    so 1.25U this PM if we are in shooting range.
    feeding the curve, monitoring the BG.
    will sample again at +6

17. Deb & Wink

18. JOJI and Kit

19. JOJI and Kit

this AM cycle makes the 6th with 1.25U dose.
    since kit has been basically flat throughout, our plan is to go up to
    1.5U this PM if today's BG numbers don't do any fancy dive drops.
    any thoughts on this from around the board are welcome.
    ^jm

And @Deb & Wink Joji here I'm wondering...do you think we've been at this long enough and test enough to follow the modified prozinc protocol? If so, then the dose reduction would be at nadir 68 on a pet meter. Correct? Just thinking outloud.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  20. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

I wish you all the luck JOJI, im thinking I have to bump Brady up as well.....Kit seems to be doing good, I hope it works for your kitty

21. Deb & Wink

Absolutely. You test enough, you've given SLGS a good solid try, and you've been at this long enough to proceed to the MPM (Modified Prozinc Method) of Prozinc dosing.

Yes, dose reductions would be at a nadir of 68 mg/dL on a pet meter, 50 mg/dL on a human meter.

22. JOJI and Kit

Sounds good! Thanks Deb! I think we'll have to go through the modified method and convert all of the values to pet meter numbers for our own use.
    I'm also going to move our thread back to the Prozinc forum. I think we moved back to main forum when we had a scary moment.

Also, I was out taking some photos of plants in bloom in my garden. I'll post them soon. Looking forward to seeing more of yours too!

23. Deb & Wink

Yes please, on the move back to the Prozinc ISG.

I wish more Prozinc users would post there, after they have been here in the Feline Health (Welcome & Main) forum for a few weeks.

p.s. Looking forward to your pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.