Kitty cold????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Suzi_S, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

Not sure what is going on, maybe a cold maybe not. Snick had more eye boogers than normal just now after dinner. Wondering if it's the beginning of a cold and if so what can I give her for the cold and/or her eyes?? I plan on making an appt to get her asthma shot next week so if I have to get something there I can ask them.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd start her on L-lysine (available at a health food store)...get capsules that you can open and pour the powder out into food (it doesn't have a taste)

If her nose starts getting snotty or she starts to look worse, she needs to be seen sooner....there have been several of our members lately that have had really bad URI's run through their cats (me included as you know!)

3. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

I will watch her like a hawk. So far, all I have seen is the extra boogery eyes. No sneezing and her coughing is her asthma.

4. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Good luck. Hope Snick escapes a winter cold!

Suzi_S likes this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I wouldn't assume the cough is 'just' the asthma. In humans with asthma, cough can be either asthma or respiratory infection, or an infection may trigger the asthma. I suspect it may be true for cats as well. (Speaking as an asthmatic, it is usually an infection that triggers my coughing!)

Suzi_S likes this.
  6. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

I still plan on taking her in early next week. But knowing her history (and I am the same way) winter and dust flare it up. But, yes, combined with the runny eyes it may be something else.

7. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

what's the dose of lysine to use in cats?

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

250 to 500 mg twice a day

9. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

thanks

10. Chris & China (GA)

If you're dealing with runny eyes and sneezes (like an "active" cold) I'd go with the 500mg twice a day....for "maintenance" you'd drop back to 250-500mg twice a day

Philippe & Mei Li likes this.
  11. Philippe & Mei Li

Philippe & Mei Li Member

My Mei Li often has the respiratory issues such as runny eyes and sneezing so I keep her on the Lysine daily . Is it ok to give 500 mg twice a day ? That seems to work best for her . I give it to both cats but she needs it the most .

Luanne Cigic likes this.
  12. Chris & China (GA)

yes it's ok...if it helps, I'd keep doing whatever is working

Philippe & Mei Li likes this.
  13. Philippe & Mei Li

Philippe & Mei Li Member

Thank you . It works really good for her ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.