? Kitty gas - Update!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lily-Fish, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

hi all!

Lily has been having some flatulence and a belly full of wind since starting wet food. I can tell that this wind is painful for her and I wonder if there is a kitty equivalent of the pills that help trapped wind. Other habits are fine (poos twice daily), playing, purring, preening etc.

Bless her, she is just in a little pain after eating until she nips under my bed to let it go (she's a shy farter).

Thanks

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Poor little girl! I don't mean to make light of her distress but you paint such an eloquent picture of "The Shy Farter" that I had to chuckle! Mine just lets it rip where ever she finds herself, and she can clear a room in no time flat, believe me! Wish I had some helpful advice but I'm unfamiliar with anything like Gas-X or something for cats, but someone else may know of something.

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

:joyful::joyful::joyful:

Such a picture. Smokey has terrible gas. He lets it go when and wherever. And yes I run for the air spray. Smokey had it before we changed food. It's one of the reasons I took him into the vet. It was so bad and the poo was even worse. With him it's part of the pancreatitis.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Not to belittle the situation but......I have absolutely no advice for you but I did want to thank you for giving me a much needed chuckle . [​IMG]

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

That's like my civvie Candy, she has IBD and the gas is bad, but the poops will make your eyes tear, I swear, they're so awful!

6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor baby.

Youay want to try adding Flora-flora to her food or give her yogurt. The probiotics may help calm her digestive system.

7. Olive & Paula

Oh the things we talk about.:woot::woot:

8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

too funny --I was just asking Chris about the orajen boar treats because Rico let one rip as he was taking a watery poo--wheeeewwww stinky !
    He looked at me like he wanted a magazine!:bookworm:
    I am going to try to give him the same digestive stuff I give Dre tomorrow but he is more naughty than Dre:confused:
    I am not convinced on the forth flora-- I think it can help entice appetite but I prefer my microflora from Herbsmith as far as quality. Kiefer has tons of good bacteria but he won't eat it:facepalm: (not sure about sugar on the kiefer)

9. Olive & Paula

As long as it's not a dirty magazine.

10. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

is there any other kind?:rolleyes:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Olive & Paula

True, as long as they have to have gas I guess they should enjoy it:joyful:

12. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Is that dirty magazine 'carp weekly'? Or just a selection of furry cat butts? Haha. You've all made me laugh! I considered plain natural yogurt but she won't eat it :s. I will try to order some probiotic powder for her food. My baby shouldn't be imprisoned under the bed with her noxious gasses. Maybe a kitty confidence class so she feels able to let rip wherever she is laying? She is so like a little human with things like toileting and passing gas. She's a shy peer/pooer too. Won't go unless you're nowhere near. I was asleep at around 2am and she woke me up with a rip roaring show that lasted about three minutes. Literally all of her gas was expelled in a series of very loud farts. Her little belly was all deflated and soft!

13. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

When Harvey had bad problems with gas my vet told me to get some infant gas drops at the drug store and give him the infant dose. Seemed to do the trick.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. A couple of my cats and my dog could clear the block with their gas.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Next you'll be telling us she votes Tory!!! :eek:

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  16. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Can you not tell, Mogs, who Lily votes for?! I thought it would be obvious! She votes green!

17. Critter Mom

Internet etiquette pun intended?

Thanks to all on this thread for the smiles. I badly need a bit of light relief. :)

Mogs

18. Critter Mom

I thought the Greens were against greenhouse gas emissions? :p

19. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

So that is the reference :confused: I follow politics pretty closely but have to admit- couldn't understand that one (what the shyness had to do with the Tories)-- Ha ha!!! But you know, we Americans don't have the wonderful dry humor of you Brits!! :smuggrin:

Olive & Paula and Squalliesmom like this.
  20. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Yep, same here!! Still laughing out loud! I thought Hannah was the only one with gas... guess not. She doesn't fart often, but when she does... well, she's as good as DH at it. And she usually does it when she's curled up on my lap. Lovely.

21. Critter Mom

'Shy Tory' is the epithet ascribed to a member of the UK electorate who votes for the UK Conservative Party - in the full knowledge that the Tories are hell-bent upon creating a highly unequal, very unhealthy, dog eat dog and devil take the hindmost society where the rich and powerful are rewarded disproportionately and the less well-off suffer unnecessarily - but who is too ashamed to admit it.

Mogs

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  22. Olive & Paula

I don't know any human who shy about it. When you gotta blow you gotta blow.

I know Smokey is gonna have a windy day. He didn't go yesterday.

Maybe check into fennel. Going back many years I knew someone who made fennel tea for her baby that had colic. It worked great.

23. Critter Mom

I actually wish that Saoirse had problems with flatulence: she has issues with trapped wind. Might not be great from an olfactory perspective but, for Saoirse, it would be better out than in. o_O

Squalliesmom likes this.
  24. Olive & Paula

@Critter Mom love the headings on your spreadsheet. I must admit some of the labels I don't understand but love it just the same.

Lily don't mean to hijack your thread.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Critter Mom

Drop me a PM if you'd like more info.

Mogs

26. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Interesting - never heard that one. Glad I learned something today We obviously don't have that issue in US. Yes, Lily sorry about the hijack -

27. Critter Mom

I despair of what's going on over there at the moment. :(

Mogs

28. Carol & Murphy (GA)

A suitable sentiment considering the title of this thread and the subject matter :smuggrin::D

29. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

I totally agree though. I've just got back and my goodness. I actually met some Trump supporters. Was an interesting conversation actually, to hear it from their perspective.

30. Critter Mom

[​IMG]

31. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Just wondering what else could cause a rigid (ish) abdomen and a nose whistle. Currently waiting on a call back from the vet as she just seems in pain.

32. Critter Mom

[​IMG]

The man is utterly disingenuous. (That's the best thing I have to say of him.)

33. Critter Mom

Will keep an eye out for an update. Fingers and paws crossed the vet will be able to help Lily feel more comfortable. The bloated abdomen can be a bit of a worry. I was relieved when our vet advised me that Saoirse was just gassy.

:bighug:

Mogs

Lily-Fish likes this.
  34. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

She does fart, it just seems trapped. I just don't want it to be fluid as well. Might get her an appt for tomorrow

35. Critter Mom

I think that's a good idea - if only to put your mind at rest that it's just gas. :bighug:

36. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Just made appt 0920 tomorrow.

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Is it painful when you press the abdomen? Is it visibly distended?

38. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

it is painful yes, visibly distended...not that I can see
    she is eating well etc though.

39. Critter Mom

Try to get a bird's eye view of Lily when she's standing up.

40. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

She doesn't appear to be pot bellied or anything. I think :( It may be gas and fluid build up as it is quite rigid at the bottom of the sternum.
    Maybe a complication of the FD.

41. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

And her little back knees appear pretty painful. I hope she doesn't have heart disease and arthritis

42. Critter Mom

Aw, poor thing! Sending anti-inflammatory healing vibes to Lily. Make sure the vet does a very thorough physical exam tomorrow.

Lily-Fish likes this.
  43. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

LOL
    with lily's farting antics.

Hope she is feeling better soon.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Lily-Fish likes this.
  44. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

So, I just found a hairball. Maybe she has furballs...Oh, these 'what ifs'!

45. Critter Mom

Tell me about 'em. :rolleyes:

46. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Standard hairball....looks like mini links sausages made of fur and spit. About three of them, don't know when they happened. Likely when I was out. We shall see what the vet says tomorrow...Hopefully will do all tests and reassure me.

47. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I hope so, too!!

Lily-Fish likes this.
  48. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

I also just read the CKD excess acid etc...Lily does grind her teeth...A lot!

49. Critter Mom

When did you last have bloodwork done?

50. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Feb 19th, it was okay

51. Critter Mom

Full kidney panel?

52. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

They did literally everything. There is a massive list on the computer of everything they tested for. They said her liver values were slightly raised but everything else was normal.

53. Critter Mom

It's always a good idea to keep details of food served and clinical signs. It might help you to spot whether certain foods cause symptoms.

54. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

I am more than convinced it is food causing the wind. She is not used to such a rich diet.

55. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

:facepalm:Gizmo's the furry farter in our family. He'll skulk off to the furthest cat-pan possible, from where anyone is sitting, to see if he can get it all out of his system with a well placed stool, but occasionally he'll surprise himself with a rip-snorter of gas while in our presence. He's noisy about it too..no stealth bomber, he. The funniest part is when he tries to pretend he didn't do the dirty deed, acting all casual, then stopping in the middle of the floor to look all around like, "Who did that? o_ODidya see who did that?"

Yes if you have recently switched him over to wet food...that's probably why he's suddenly tooting.

Lily-Fish and Critter Mom like this.
  56. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

So Lily went to the vet today. He checked her out and said he could feel some inflammation in the area around the pancreas but kidneys were feeling okay and he could not hear or feel any fluid that shouldn't be there. He thinks she is having a small pancreatic flare up and that is also the reason she is so sensitive to the insulin. I know in the US Metacam is bad news, as it is licensed for dogs and used off license for cats (meaning it is too potent for them), however in the UK there is a version specially for cats and licensed for them. I had a feeling he would put her on this, if not just for her little knee (It is rather sore for her). We discussed my concerns around it but decided based on her condition we would try one third the dose for two weeks. He said if I can see her feeling happier and her wind gets less then we know what it is. He said he would normally go full pelt and give abx too but as she has taken so long to get to a place where her sugars are stable he doesn't want to upset her tummy or appetite unnecessarily which I think is fair.

57. Carol & Murphy (GA)

58. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Hi,
    Lily has never been diagnosed with pancreatitis and as she has not got any of the big symptoms the vet thinks it is just inflamed. She was put on the anti inflammatories for this reason, but also because she has an arthritic knee joint.

59. Olive & Paula

Poor Lily.

Smokey has just been through this. I took him in because of the gas, bloating, stinky poo and vomiting. Turned out to pancreatitis. He was given Buprenorphine for the pain, cerenia for nausea and vomiting. Both working well and doesn't seen to affect BS. Both I think will be long term therapy for him.

Because of possible IBD he was given metronidazole antibiotic. I just found out it was flavored enhanced. So probably it's what caused his high numbers.

He was able to go 2 days without, but had to restart them again. Boy did he toot toot toot last night.

Critter Mom likes this.
  60. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Just smiling at that part! Vet seems to just think it is an inflammation as Lily is not vomiting, is eating etc (anti anti anti jinx). We shall see. If the anti inflams don't show any progress made we will then go on to abx.

61. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Hi Paula How much does Smokey weigh? I'm surprised by the dose of cerenia Smokey is on- Murphy is on 4mg (1/4 pill) 5 days on/one day off - I think the dose was going to be 8 mg but since he would be on it almost daily, they decreased the dose. I have found it to greatly help - Murphy does still need help with nausea and stimulating appetite

62. Olive & Paula

He weighs 16 lbs. He started at 16 mg 4 days on, 2 off. Then cut to 8 mg. The ER vet said after the ultrasound to keep him at 16mg and it was okay to give daily. New studies state you don't need to stop it.????? I do keep trying to stop it but the longest he went without was 7 days.

Started again at 4mg on the 3rd. Still trying to find the happy medium .

63. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Yes, the elusive happy medium.

Olive & Paula likes this.
  64. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Ah... The elusive medium...Otherwise known as "medium rare". :p

65. Critter Mom

Did your vet not offer to run a SNAP fPL test for pancreatitis? (Can be run in-house; gives a yes/no result.)

66. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Don't know what a SNAP fPL is, but no. Maybe my vet isn't that advanced?

67. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.