? Kitty's bloodwork, any input appreciated

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carina Josefine, Jan 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

Kitty is still OTJ! But she did get her pneumonia back, and has been on baytril again for almost 3 weeks. Last friday she had some blood tests done, to see if she is readu to come off them. Vets say the blood tests are looking fine, but I am curious about her "off" values (PLT, NEU, RDW), what they mean, and why they might be off. Are any of you good at reading/explaining blood tests? Attaching the pdf.

To make matters a little nervewrecking to me, one of the vets thre the FIP word out there when another cat of mine started coughing. And eventhough I know so well that the vet didn't really have a clue (wanting to do a FIP-test), it still sticks with me.

Attached Files:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The only abnormal value is for low platelets. In cats the platelets frequently clumpy and the machine counting of the platelets results in a low platelet count.
    When that happens a smear of blood on a slide is examined under a microscope. The recent Idexx results for my civi Mia included:
    SLIDE REVIEWED MICROSCOPICALLY.
    SCANNING OF THE BLOOD SMEAR REVEALED ADEQUATE PLATELET NUMBERS. DUE TO
    CLUMPING, THE AUTOMATED PLATELET NUMBER CANNOT BE ACCURATELY
    DETERMINED.
    Was the bloodwork done in an Idexx machine at your vets? It looks different that the report for my Mia.

3. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

Yes, it was done in house at the vets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.