Know your gauge

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Seattlebrian, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

Went out to buy more lancets and strips today. None of their lancets seemed to have a gauge size listed. She tried to sell me a big box of old spring trigger lancets (like one use pens) for $5. Upon closer inspection of the box, I found out they were 18 gauge needles! That is like 3 times the thickness of a 30 gauge. I think they are used for piercing ears.

2. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

I use 18 gauge when I'm starting IVs and drawing blood into vials for labwork - on humans. 18 gauge is thick, thick, thick. Great for some uses, but definitely not for poking for tests...

Glad you noticed that. It would've been a great huge shock if you hadn't!

Best-
    Michele

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

You would have gotten a geyser of blood with a harpoon like that!

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Really? About the only time I use an 18G is in an energancy to push fluids and we use them for giving the COWS injections :D

5. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

LOL at the cows. Yes, I use them to give horses injections, too...I do most of the vax's at my barn to avoid the vet costs.

I prefer the 18g for my IVs, unless the patient is very old, very young, or dehydrated (and thus the vein is hard to find). I also use 20s and 22s, but prefer the 18g because for me, they're easier to insert, easier to get the meds through, and tend to be more stable over time (their cannula is large as well). Since the needle doesn't stay in once the cannula is set, I find that the length of a 'good IV' is longer with the 18g, and that lowers infection, reinsertion, and other problems with IVs in a longer term situation. And with blood draws, it's faster, and thus less pain/bruising for my patients.

Best-
    Michele

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

When I give blood they use a 16 gs needle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.