? Kohl eating but...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KohlsMom, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KohlsMom

KohlsMom New Member

Still meowing (in his inimitable demanding manner) as though he's starving to death. The vet has him on the prescription ProPlan Purina stating that he is to have 1/2 half a can twice a day. Let me open that this is not an obese cat by any means. Since this has started he's lost close to 5 pounds (this is what brought the problem to my attention). The vet doesn't want to see him for another 3 weeks and he isn't on insulin.

I'm very confused about feeding, care and especially him meowing so insistently for food. I've pulled the other cats food up as they used to be demand feeders and she insists he's not to eat more than twice a day.

This posting probably sounds a bit vague (or dumb) but I'm sure he wants more food.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Kohls mom. Cats with uncontrolled diabetes are hungry because their bodies cannot properly use the food they take in. Most of us feed our cats multiple times/day. Also there's no reason for the vet prescription food, any low carb wet food will do. Most use Friskies Pate or Fancy Feast Classic which are much cheaper. Also, since you haven't started insulin I highly recommend you start home testing Kohls blood sugar, it's easy to do and we'll be glad to help you learn. I also recommend you pick up some ketone test strips from the pharmacy. Without insulin, ketones can form and they can be very serious. Please keep posting and asking questions.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

One full can may not be enough, especially while his numbers are still up. Try given another half can mid day and before bed....

BTW, prescription food is not necessary and expensive. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods.

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

Why isn't he on insulin yet? The longer you wait the harder it is to get them into remission. What were his numbers at diagnosis?

I strongly suggest you get your own meter and test at home.

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I think most of us had kitties that lost weight before diabetes diagnosis so 1/2 can twice a day does not work very well for them in early stages. Their bodies are pretty much starving because of what Sharon said. If you want to use the prescription wet food up, then just grab some extra less expensive foods like Janet said to add another meal mid day and before bed. This can also help get some weight back on him when you get his numbers under control:). For Friskies pate, stay away from the Indoor formulas though, they are higher carb. 3 weeks seems like a long time to wait to start insulin, even if you are trying diet change first, but diagnosis numbers will give a better idea of how high he is running. Some cats are diagnosed with high numbers and some with low or mids. Definitely get ketone test strips, at least, and strongly think about home testing. We would never not monitor a human child with diabetes, our fur babies are no different. :cat:

6. KohlsMom

KohlsMom New Member

His sugar was at 400 according to hubby. I wasn't there as I'm the worker bee in the family. I'm very confused as to why the vet told him to wait a month to bring him back especially with a new diagnosis.
    I am lucky I think because my brother is an insulin dependent diabetic. I'm going to see if he has an old glucose monitor and know how to use a Lancet just not where to use it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. JanetNJ

Can you get him in to see a different vet? Waiting puts him at risk for ketones, insulin resistance, and neuropathy

8. JanetNJ

You can get a cheap meter and 28 gauge lancets at Walmart for a couple of bucks. Many here use the relion micro.

9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.