Kohl - middle aged newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KohlsMom, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KohlsMom

KohlsMom New Member

This page is aptly named. Not that I never wanted to join but never
    expected to join.
    I am Anita, mom to 5 dogs, 5 cats, 8 birds and a Russian tortoise named Elsa (but that's a different forum). I'm writing about Kohl who is roughly 14 years old and was diagnosed today. Frankly I already feel overwhelmed. I've only ever had another diabetic animal and he was a dog who went down so quickly that PTS was a kindness. But Kohl is healthy, skinny but healthy. This will be an all around change for us as my cats have always been demand feeders and I've read that dry food isn't good. Imagine 5 separate feedings (Or more) a day? And trying to keep Kohl out of the other cats food (Or dogs for that matter?). At this point all I can think is "what now?". I've not even begun to digest testing, injections, or the possible of failure. I've always been about my animals but after dog cancer 2 years ago I wonder, "What next?"

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Anita, take a deep breath, you've come to the right place. It's overwhelming at first, but it will get better. I have 13 cats and it took me awhile to work out the feeding situation, but I did and you will too. There's lots of help here for any problems/questions you have. Come to the Main Health Forum and ask away!

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Anita,

Welcome. Just to let you know you are not alone.:bighug: It can be overwhelming to start with. Once strategies and tools are put into play things can get better.

For myself with 4 cats - I started with putting Jones in a separate room until I could get the food, feeders, timing etc all figured out. Right now I have a sure-flap feeder that only he can get into with his special food (reads his microchip). He can free feed as he wishes. It worked best for us in our situation.

For some introductory information to get you started and in the best position to receive help I suggest reading this post. I forgot to ask what insulin you are using as this post is a little to the Lantus/Levemir group. It will get you started though.

Four things to focus on are:
    1. Breathing - you need you conscious and calm.:)
    2. Home testing - it is the most important tool in your tool belt for keeping Kohl safe.
    3. Setting up our lovely spreadsheet. We are data driven and will not be able to advise you on doses or anything unless we know the numbers.
    4. Set up your signature with all the requested information. See mine below my post.

And please continue to read the sticky posts. There is lots of information in there.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Tracey has given you some great information to setup for new members. This is a support group for your fur baby and YOU :cat:. Welcome :bighug:

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! There's a lot of moral support and practical advice here to help you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.