L-lysine 250mg once or twice a day?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maryjoandsmokie, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

How often do you give it. I asked in the past but have forgotten and i need to know.
    Thank you.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My vet said 250 mg bid.

3. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

250mg bid is what I do too.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Same here.

5. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thank you sweet people!
    Fluffy has URI and has fits of sneezing. I'm giving L-lysine in hopes he will feel better
    and hope it keeps Smokie from getting the URI.

6. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

I use 250mg bid as well, but as a 'loading' dose. I'll keep that up for a week and then back off to 250mg qd. When his symptom's subside for a good week - I stop the treatment altogether. Most meds are given as appropriate to the cat's weight, and I don't think L-Lysine would be any different. I've got a big cat so maybe I should give him even more of loading dose?

BTW: $11.00 per pound of the stuff at amazon.com. That's about 450 grams for you guys paying 40.00 bucks per 100 grams. ;-)

One other note: Don't rule out allergies especially this time of year. I don't believe Lysine will have any effect on those since allergies are basically the immune system working too well. My cat is on antihistamines and they were/are working well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.