Lameness

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nora, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nora

nora Member

I haven't posted in a while. Kali, my 15-year-old diabetic cat, has had an up and down time of it due mostly to my poor skills at injecting her lantus. She has complicating issues of kidney failure, heart murmur, persistent UTI which seems to be antibiotic resistant, dental disease, and I have other cats with different dietary needs which means Kali has never had a specific diabetic diet. Her insulin level as measured at the vet is around 350. No bueno. But we've been muddling along for a while now. Recently, however, she has come up lame in her front legs. From what I've read online it seems she is having failure of the carpal tendons. It's as if her leg folds over her toes, or twists so that her paw pads are almost upside down. It's horrible to see, but it's intermittent and some days she gets around all right. She sleeps with both "legs" tucked in and sometimes I think her old joints just get stuck in that position and it takes longer for them to wake up. But in the past week it is hampering her ability to stand at her food or water bowl to eat and I think she is limiting her trips to the cat box despite the pain meds we've had her on. The vet seems more worried about Kali's BUN, blood sugar levels, and UTI, which I know are serious, but I feel that we can maybe continue to manage those with med/diet/supplement changes. But I don't know if the lameness would improve or how painful it might be or if she doesn't want to move because she doesn't trust her limbs or because it hurts. The vet just says yes, the cat is in pain, but she seems to think it's from the UTI. The vet admits Kali's is a complicated and somewhat confusing case as treatment for one ailment is contradicted by another. It's clear to me that Kali is not feeling well, but she is not hiding, she is sleeping in her usual places (on me whenever she can XO), interested in food, wanting water, enjoys being petted and moving around on her good days. The vet and I are confused about quality of life because the cat looks so good, etc. So after this long background, any one else face what I think of as collapsing front legs and what if anything has been helpful for the cat's comfort and improvement? I see the vet late Thursday and I'm scared that we must make the decision to put her to sleep if she keeps limping. After all she's been thru, it seems a shame to lose her for that. I know that doesn't really make sense. Thanks for listening.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If you're open to doing some things differently we might be able to help you get her diabetes under better control. Here are some suggestions:
    • learn to test her BG at home - best tool to keep her safe and guide dosing
    • set up the spreadsheet we use here to track your test data
    • describe your specific problems with injecting Lantus and maybe we can suggest work arounds
    • think about feeding Kali in a separate area and switching her to canned low carb food
    • incorporate a B12 supplement to help with diabetic neuropathy (Zobaline is a popular one that's available online)
    • post here regularly for help.
    It seems you're recognizing that you need to take action to help your kitty. I certainly wouldn't be thinking about a "final solution" before taking action and getting more on top of her FD treatment. We're here to help and support you all the way. You CAN make the Lantus work but it'll take some effort on your part. :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Your signature mentions that she was tested for acromegaly. When was the test done? What was the result?

4. nora

nora Member

Thank you Kris and Teasel for your response. I am willing to test Kali at home--I'm diabetic so I have the supplies. I have hesitated because Kali has a condition that causes her ear tips to crumble and fall off so I don't want to mess with them and she's a wiggly worm, but I did try the night before last and I couldn't get my lancet to pierce the skin. I have a different lancet I can try. The Lantus itself is no problem--it's my technique. I'm just not very good despite repeated lessons from two vets and watching videos online. I'm not scared, but as I said, Kali wiggles and it only makes her struggle more when someone else tries to hold her. It's my own fault and I can't help but feel I am killing my cat. I've never used a spreadsheet so that is daunting. I will look for low carb canned food and make that switch, ditching the dry altogether. I will ask the vet for B12 and if she can't supply it, I will look for Zobaline online. Also, we are close to the vet so I can get her there for sub-Q if needed. I'm just afraid that I have waited too long. Right now the biggest visible problem is her feet--she has trouble standing long enough at the water bowl and food dish. Eating on the bed helps, but her front leg still gives out. I'd like to have an answer about whether it's carpal stuff or neuropathy or something else and if we should consider a brace or a wrap so that will be my first question tomorrow to the vet. My gut says we can keep her going if she can stand/walk. Acromegaly was ruled out. My signature should be altered to say Kali is now on 1.5 twice a day and her latest sugar was 350 at the end of July and that was about the same as it was in May of this year. If she can get better, I'll do all that I can, but if she can't hold herself enough to eat, drink, poop (she is often constipated despite daily Miralax), then I don't want to prolong her life. Thanks for listening and for the support. My vet seems to be kind of stumped and I keep asking her questions about end of life that she says she can't answer. I like her and trust her but of course I want clearer guidance. Off to look up spreadsheets 101.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add more info
  5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

When I first joined the board we were having a lot of trouble testing and I was advised by Bellasmom that there was an alternative: paw testing. She provided a video of how to do that, unfortunately I'm not talented enough to repeat that, but it's a You Tube video and here is the URL:
    . There are probably many others and this may be the answer to your inability to test Kali on the ears. I wish you the best!

6. Idjit's mom

Oh, look what happened! The video is here, woo hoo.

7. nora

nora Member

Never heard of this with all the searching I've done! Thank you so much! I'll let you know how it goes. I hope you have now mastered your technique. XO. BTW, Idjit was one of my mother's favorite words! Your Idjit is a beauty.

8. Idjit's mom

Thanks Nora, we got a whole lot better, but we work as a team. DH holds our "little boy" and I do the poking. Idjit lives up to his name (he came with it) but we absolutely adore him. Please do let us know if the paw testing works for you. I do know that there are others here who use that method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.