lantus dosage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by redchief, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redchief

redchief New Member

Was wodering if someone has this problem and see what they do. My Missy is on 1.5 units 2x a day. Her first shot is at 8am. My promblem is i work shifts. I go to work at 2 somedays. Also On days I go to work at 6 30 am after coming home at 11pm. I know my schedule is screwed up but I need to know what to do with Missy. Is it ok to give a little bit more insulin at lets say 130 after her 8 shot. I also don't get 12 between my night ***** and morning shift. I hope someone can give me advise. Thanks Also if i'm home testing and i see her numbers about 375 should i give her more insulin. She seems to be doing better on Lantus. Just changed to Lantus last week.

Thanks for you help.

Rob & Missy

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Rob

that is a messed up work schedule! But you gotta do what you gotta do.

quick question, are you getting any mid-cycle testing? Maybe on days off, evenings off for example?
    If you have any current mid cycle numbers, post them ok?

Lantus dosing is not based on pre-shots, so want to clear that up - the 375 for example, is it a pre-shot number?

We'll see what others can suggest, I'll be back to check on you later.

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Do you know your schedule far in advance or is it posted weekly without much notice?

If in advance far enough, could you adjust dose times up or down by a half hour each day to try to compensate for the time change?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I used to have a bad weekend schedule and had to shoot a 8 hour/16 hour schedule. I just had to overcome the urge to shoot a larger dose more after the 16 hour since the BG would typically be high but the period till the next shot would only be 8 hours.

5. redchief

redchief New Member

in the middle of her shots the numbers are in the mid 300's . I also want to know why she sleeps so much after her shots. Is it suppose to make her tired? She responds to me when i call her. just checked her blood 2 hrs after shot and was 390

Thanks

6. tuckers mom

Have you tested her blood sugar when she seems extra tired?

7. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Need to be very very careful. Lantus builds a shed-like a petrol tank. When what's already in the body been used up, dips into the petrol tank. Next shot-the tank takes what it needs to refill first, thus usually meaning less insulin to work on bg's in the forthcoming cycle.

Before doing anything-could you type out all the shift time scenarios you have to do (like do you do a 3 cycle rota system so start 8 am, 1pm, 4pm over a 3 week period)

Then I would strongly recommend you post in Lantus isg-where people who really know about Lantus and are on the board most days of the week can help you come up with a shooting plan that will keep your cat safe and you sane!!!

I know about Lantus but not on the boatd every day at the moment and this needs some thinking about to my mind or you could end up with a hypo.

It is a fab insulin and if you get fab results, kitty may be one of the lucky ones and end up diet controlled-then you can do all the crazy shifts you like :mrgreen:

Be watching for you.

Update you've just posted-Lantus takes an hour to 2 hours to kick in.Being tired after shot is probably similar to human-just full stomach.If however it's 3-4 hours after shot, her sugars could be going to low-do you hometest acroos the 12 hour cycle?

Can you set up a spread sheet?sounds complicated ut t isn't really and can get help in the tech forum.
    Can also in the meantime type out what sort of numbers your getting-
    amps
    +1
    +2
    +6
    pmps etc

then we can see what impact the dose is having on her.

8. redchief

redchief New Member

just now and was 390

9. redchief

redchief New Member

thanks for all your help I need all i can get............. She's also lost alot of weight but still eats and drinks well. She does not urinate like she was on the N. Eating well still but not sitting in front of the bowl. I think she's better but really don't know. I'm borarding her at the vet for a weekend while a take a few day R & R so i think she will do a curve. I 'm just real confused.
    I'm not real good at the bg testing it breaks my heart when she whines and crys from the needle so i'm not doing often. Just once in a while.

Rob

10. tuckers mom

Has your kitty had any recent bloodwork done? Kidney values, thyroid, potassium levels?

If so, can you ask your vet for a copy of the bloodwork, it may be helpful to see where those numbers are.

Doing a curve at the vet is fine, but if your kitty stresses while at the vet, it may not give a great picture of how she is.

I know this is confusing and we're asking questions and giving advice that may not seem clear now, but it gets easier in time.

11. tuckers mom

Is she crying from when you poke her ear or from when she gets her shot?

12. redchief

redchief New Member

Well at the beginning I guess in april she had a full blood work up and all was good. She was just not her self upper resp infection. Sneazing alot. Sent me home with antibiotics and she just didn't get better. Took her back and they did a xray of her sinus all well there. Then she started eating and drinking alot. Took her back and wanted to do more and more test Took her to another vet who i'm really happy with in june and diagnosed her. Very hard to regulate her was on humilin n for a month numbers still real high did a blood test to see what numbers were for a period and think it was a futoious test and the numbers were in the 600's the vet changed her a week ago to lantus and i think she's doing better Still eats well drinks but not excessive. Little more tired but good.

She don't cry for the shot weird but she almost asks for it. All i have to is ready for ur shot and she comes in the kitchen. It's the drawing blood that get her so upset. It breaks my heart to have her whine and cry when i sit her on my lap to lance the ear. I do it but it upsets me and much as her.

Rob

13. tuckers mom

Rob, when I first starting hometesting Tucker my vet gave me these huge 18 guage needles to poke at Tucker's ears. I felt like I was sewing a quilt on his head and I cried each time. I felt sick to my stomach that I had to do that.

Then I found a lancet device that I love and from there I gained confidence. I use the lancet that comes with the One Touch brand meters, I put the clear cap on it so I can see where the lancet will land when I click it. I use almost the highest setting and it goes so fast now that Tucker doesn't bother to move his head when I get ready to test him. Sometimes I wake him up from a sleep but he keeps his head down, ready to go back to sleep as soon as I move my hand.

One thing I've learned with all of my diabetic cats is that if you go to them with confidence, no fear in your mind and just know that this is going to help my cat and you quickly warm the ear, play with the kitty while you do it, maybe a chin scratch or head scratch, then firmly place your finger behind the ear and poke fast, then milk the spot to get a bead of blood, things progress from there and it becomes commonplace for the kitty.

Just like how she's coming to you for her shot. She knows she's feeling better by getting her shot so she's coming to you. Tucker, now five years into this, knows that mid day testing and preshot testing is part of the deal and he seems to look at me at lunch time with this face that says "hey, did you remember to test me?"

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    I don't know what info you have been given in the past or read on your own from this site, but a couple things are very important:
    1.Food needs to be low carb wet foods. Many cats are diet controlled and do not need insulin, so food matters alot.
    Binky’s Food Lists
    Feeding Your Cat: Know The Basics of Feline Nutrition

2. Home testing is critical because you need to track where Missy's numbers are before you give insulin. There may come a day when she no longer needs insulin or needs less and without home testing, you would not know.
    Many will give you tips on how to approach the testing, so if you relax, and offer treats at test time, you may have a better go of it.
    Testing on cat’s ear

List of Hypo symptoms
    How to treat HYPOS – They can kill! Print this out!
    Jojo’s HYPO TOOLKIT

You say she comes to you for shots - that should tell you right there that the shots make her feel much better after.

For the testing, are you doing freehand or using the lancet device. I prefer the device as it's quicker and the depth of the poke can be adjusted, but many prefer freehand.
    In the beginning, it may seem foreign and like an annoyance. Poke yourself so you see how it feels and make adjustments so that you still get blood but it's not as deep.
    The ears 'learn' to bleed, and will be a non event in no time. My two sleep through the pokes.

Below are the links with info about the insulin you are using:
    Tight Regulation Protocol
    LANTUS & LEVEMIR – INSULIN DEPOT –AKA- STORAGE SHED
    Lantus&Levemir – Data Ready to Shoot Low Numbers

I am sure you are finding people asking the same questions over and over, so it would be helpful if you set up a profile with the info, and also keep track of your test results in a google spreadsheet.

It's alot of info to start but it gets easy quickly.
    There are many people here who can help you, and if you post over in the Lantus group, I am sure you will get responses from others with weird work schedules.
    Just make your subject something like Need help with shot schedule for non-12/12 work hours.
    Or whatever you think will be eye catching.

15. redchief

redchief New Member

I hope someone can help................. Missy is on 4 units of Lantus. I had blood work done and sent it off to a Holistic Vet. The Vet precribed subliments for her Thyroid and two for her pancreas. Now she is getting diarea outside the litter box. The vet said to stop the suppliments for a few days and give her a chance to recoup. I also changed her food from scicence diet hairball adult to Wellness Core. She looks much better. I see a little blood in her stool any advise....

16. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

if you haven't already, I'd post your question under a new thread in health.

No experience of thyroid issues so can't really advise (though sounds sensible to hold the supplements and see if that's the cause)
    Wellness core is one of Janet and Bibkys I think (I'm europe so different foods)

Have you mentioned to your vet about blood in the stool?

Glad Missy looks better.Scritches cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.