Lantus expiration

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ashley & Harry, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashley & Harry

Ashley & Harry Member

Hey all!

I haven't been on in months (nor have I updated my sheet in ages, sorry! Harry's doing well though). I just have a quick question that I'm sure I read ages ago but have since forgotten. When Lantus expires, is it important to stop using it, or is it okay to keep using it past the expiration date? My understanding is that there's the "soft" expiration of 28 days after you open it, but then if you keep it refrigerated at all times, it can last up until the expiration date on the bottle. Well, we're coming up on the bottle's date pretty soon, and I'm wondering if I should make it a priority to get a new bottle and dispose of the old one. Sucks to have about 1/3 of it go to waste if it's really going bad, but better than putting bad chemicals in my kitten!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If it's kept refrigerated, it can last much longer......as long as it's clear, with no floaties and the numbers aren't trending up, I'd just keep using it

When it starts to poop out on you, the numbers will start to go up

Generally, we say it's good for 4-6 months, but we've seen people use it even longer without problems.

As with everything in this dance, let the numbers be your guide!!

Ashley & Harry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.