Lantus not (seeming to) work... it’s been one month with curve today :-|

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Krystina & Nelli, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Nelli and I have a new vet who did not originally prescribe Lantus, the one and only insulin we’ve had...
    Rx came from an ER vet whom she saw days before “new/current” vet entered our lives.
    She was prescribed Lantus (vial) Rx: one unit, a month ago (06/21).
    Our current vet told me when we initially had our first appointment with him that “he doesn’t usually use Lantus” (which means never has/does?).
    A week or so later I, without advise, bumped her up to 1 1/2 units.
    He advise me last week (fast forward 10+ days) when I contacted him that her BG was at 499 to increase her dose from two units to three units. This was last Friday July 27th.
    She continues to be lethargic, weak and, unable to finish her business in litter box without laying down in it... an effort to walk (stumbling) 8ft without lying down :(.
    Today is the first successful day I have been able to draw blood on her ear and check her BC with the Alpha track2.
    So far today...
    1. 6a (pre insulin): BG 273
    2. 11:30a: BG 327
    3. 2:49p: BG 302
    4. 5:16p: BG 399
    One more reading left...

I would LARGELY appreciate some input as to...
    I have used this Forum throughout this (feeling helpless) experience with Nelli being on insulin.
    Unfortunately we have a “new” Vet (who is the best GP vet we’ve had OTHER THAN her Cardio vet ), which I do not feel completely confident that he is properly experienced with Lantus/ feline diabetes.
    Nelli’s diabetes should be better controlled by now?
    We thank you in advance for you input ❤️.
    Krystina and Nelli

2. Krystina & Nelli

Ok... now last reading before insulin injection, 7:48p: 386 :-|

I am going to give her next injection, 3U at 8:10p, 12 hours after last.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Krystina, I'm sorry you are struggling with little Nelli and her diabetes treatment.
    First: I would recommend you create a signature, this displays with each of your posts and tells members important info about Nelli. Here's a link telling you how to do that: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/suggestions-tech-support-testing-area.6/
    Second: I think you should start a thread in the Lantus forum where your posts are going to get much more attention from experienced Lantus users, here's the link: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/
    If you like you can just copy and paste your message here in the Introduction forum into the new post on Lantus forum. This is essentially a welcome mat on the front porch and might not be noticed as readily as a post in the Lantus insulin forum.
    Third: as soon as you can, get a spreadsheet going, so that you can record insulin shots, and BG readings. Advisers are going to want and need as much data as possible to help you. Here's a link to starting the spreadsheet and understanding it:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/suggestions-tech-support-testing-area.6/
    Please don't hesitate to get over to the Lantus forum so that the members can help, good luck!

4. Krystina & Nelli

Thank you SO much.
    I have been a bit confused as to where and how to “ post.”
    I will take all your advice and... thanks again :).
    Krystina

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Krystina, I noticed that you posted again in the Intro forum and think maybe you got a little confused, and posted again here instead of the Lantus forum. In my previous response, I gave you a link to that forum. Or you can look down the list of all the forums you will see a subsection with all the insulin forums. Just click on the Lantus forum and you can start a new thread there. One other note, the signature doesn't have to be elaborate, just short descriptions: gender, age, weight (if known), what type of insulin used, what dose of insulin, what kind of meter you are using for home testing, what kind of food you feed, any other medical conditions or medications given. It's also helpful to know where you are geographically, so we know what time zone you are in. Sometimes it makes a huge difference in the response time if you are having critical problems and need an immediate answer. Take a look at my signature, and Bron's for examples (Bron responded to your second Welcome thread) You can update and change your signature as needed at any time.

Esi likes this.
  6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

7. Sanden

Sanden New Member

Welcome and thank you for taking in Nelli off the streets. I will follow you to the Lantus forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.