GA Last Update on Lily – for Fri 11/15/19 – Sat 11/16/19

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Calicos are Best (GA), Nov 18, 2019.

1. Calicos are Best (GA)

Calicos are Best (GA) Member

Lily was sick since Sunday the 10th. This is a continued update on what has happened. There are other posts on here from last week, but this will be the last medical update…

I went to work from 8AM – 10AM. Worked from 8AM – 10AM. Spoke to my vet and other vets from 10AM – 11AM at work. I decided that it was best to leave work to handle taking care of Lily in person. I let my bosses know again. Thankfully they have been understanding considering I am still fairly new to the job and they just made me an offer.

My vet told me she took 2 X-rays on Thursday. There was something called barium that was given with Lily’s food to see if there was any movement overnight. When the 3rd X-ray was given Friday morning Lily’s X-ray looked exactly the same. Possibly some very small movement, but certainly not normal. The doctor advised Lily’s intestines looked full of gas. No toy or object could be seen in the X-ray. Some kind of obstruction was blocking Lily from eating and digesting food. It was still not clear if Lily ate something that could be blocking her, if there was a tumor, or what was going on. My doctor ordered Lily to get an ultrasound at the hospital or another vet (where it would be cheaper). No other vet could take us so we went to emergency.

An ultrasound was given to Lily at Emergency. They asked me if Lily ever eats anything she is not supposed to. I was also prepared about the costs of surgery to remove anything out of Lily. Thousands of dollars of course. I was fully prepared to pay these if possible. When the doctor came back an hour after the ultrasound was taken she said that it was not good. The reason why Lily’s intestines were so full of gas and blocked was because she had tons of tiny tumors all over. There was one or two spots in particular that looked larger. The doctor said that it probably was lymphoma. This is common in cats who have tumors all over that look like this. I started crying so much when I was given the news.

I kind of tuned out after the horrible news. My boyfriend took over and talked to the doctor. What I remember the doctor continuing to say was along the lines of giving her IV fluids at the hospital and having options of Euthanasia, getting surgery to try to remove the cancerous parts of Lily’s intestines and putting them back together, or taking Lily home to think more about it. I decided that the surgery would cost thousands and only give Lily months more to live. I don’t think the quality of life would be good. And of course there is always the chance she would go septic from the surgery not taking properly. I was NOT prepared to put Lily down on the spot and wanted more time with her. I took Lily home for 24 hours and I was pretty sure that Euthanasia was what I had to do.

I made an appointment at my vet Saturday at 1:15 PM. They close at 2 PM, so I was limited to this time. At 12 PM I decided I couldn’t do it. I cancelled. I would have preferred to go to my vet and as much as I hate emergency I needed more time with Lily. At 4:30 PM I went to the emergency vet to euthanize Lily. I was there from 5PM – 6:40 PM. I was and am still so very sad. I miss my Lily so much. I know that she was suffering.

2. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

So very sad to read your news. Take heart in knowing that it was the last kind thing you could do for Lily. :bighug:

Calicos are Best (GA) likes this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry to hear Lily has crossed. You tried your very best and gave her every chance but sometimes we still can't fix them. Freeing Lily from her failing body was the last gift of love you could give her. She knew she was loved. You were her guardian angel and now she is yours.
    RIP sweet Lily. cat_wings>o

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry to hear this news.
    You have done everything you possibly could to help Lily.
    She was a much loved kitty.
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    Fly free Lily:rb_icon:cat_wings>o

5. Calicos are Best (GA)

Thank you all for you kind words. I really appreciate all the times you guys gave me advice and helped me care for Lily. I really hope Lily gets to be my guardian Angel. I love her and miss her so much.

6. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

So sorry for the loss of your fur baby. It is a very hard decision to have to make but you did it out of love for her❤️❤️. They teach us to love unconditionally. She will forever be close to your heart. Some day you will be reunited. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am so sorry about your loss of Lily. :bighug::bighug::bighug: I think you did the right thing for her.

I hope you don’t mind, but I added the GA prefix to let people know Lily has now Gone Ahead as a Guardian Angel.

8. Calicos are Best (GA)

Thank you Wendy! That was very kind of you. I was just wondering what GA stood for. I am going to add it to my other post w/ the pictures of Lily too. cat_wings>o

9. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

Fly free sweet Lily :rb_icon: 26245.jpg :rb_icon:

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so so sorry about your precious girl Lily, such a beautiful girl.I'm sure she knew how much you loved her and didn't want her to suffer. My heart breaks for you

11. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Oh no what very sad news. I'm terribly sorry. Try to take comfort knowing she's not in pain anymore.Take extra special care of yourself.:bighug:

12. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

13. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Very sorry Heartfelt condolences