Late shot

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

My coworker had to leave to go get her suddenly sick child, so I need to stay and teach her seminar tonight. Which means I won't get home until 8:00, and shot time is at 5:30. What should I do? Skip the shot? Give a mini shot? Give a normal shot, and then just give the morning shot an hour late and wiggle our way back to the schedule? 2 1/2 hours late is pretty late, and I'm just not sure what to do.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Tough. You could just skip and shoot an hour or more early in the am. That might be easier for you to get back on schedule. I don't know what to advise on a mini dose. Shooting 2.5 hours late would really mess up your schedule, right? You can't shoot 2/2.5 hours late tomorrow am, right?

3. Djamila

Heading home now. I could bump it back an hour in the morning, but not 2 1/2.

4. Djamila

Ugh. He's at 320. I want to cry. I'm so mad we are missing this shot! Especially seeing how high he is right now. My neighbor came over and fed them around 6:00, but that was two hours ago. I almost gave him a shot, but then when I go to give him one in the morning, there is a chance the insulin from tonight would still be effecting him, right?

5. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Yes. You could skip the shot and shoot an hour early in the morning.
    Or shoot now and have to push the morning dose back 2 hours too. The earliest you should give a shot is 1 hour early and that's if they're going up.
    I've given a shot 2 hours early and it wasn't that pretty. They can start to drop too quick and go too low.
    In the end you hold the syringe. He's on a low dose (in my opinion) already that it's hard to tell if you gave a tiny fraction of that dose now if he would be going up in the AM.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Djamila

Thanks @StephG! I was trying to convince myself that giving him a shot two hours early - and then leaving for work all day - was a really really bad idea. It's just soooo hard to see his number that high and do nothing. Sometimes we just need that second voice to confirm that as hard as it is to wait until morning, that's the better way to go right now.

As it is, test/feed/shoot is the absolute first thing I do when I wake up in the morning. I don't think there's any chance that I could drag myself out of bed an hour earlier than I already get up. So it is what it is tonight, unfortunately. I'll just have to give him lots of love and wait for morning.

StephG likes this.
  7. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. the last 3 or 4 cycles Chuck has been running high and somewhat flat. Pinks and reds. Not fun. I'm increasing his dose tomorrow to get him back on track!

8. Djamila

I just peeked at your spreadsheet. No wonder you think my dose is low! Last time we were here, he never went over 1.0, so I'm worried that we're having to increase and still not seeing much happen. I know Sam is lucky though - his numbers are still relatively low (assuming I didn't break him by skipping a shot tonight!). So I'm curious - when the number is 600+, does that mean the meter couldn't show you the actual number? Like it was too high to measure?

StephG likes this.
  9. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Yes. The ReliOn prime only reads to 600. Over that and it reads "HI". Chuck is one tricky cat. I don't think 1 unit would even touch his BGs. Maybe once we get closer to regulation!?

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Steph is the champion of all difficult FD cat wranglers! Chuck is extremely difficult to manage and Steph does a stellar job. :)

StephG likes this.
  11. Djamila

I was super impressed looking at the spreadsheet. It's amazing what cats can handle, and Chuck is lucky to have such a great bean to take care of him!

StephG and Kris & Teasel like this.
  12. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

:oops::joyful: I try my best. I feel like I still have more to learn!

13. Djamila

It doesn't look like I broke my cat. Still, I hope to not have to skip any more shots! His AMPS was good, and I just came home to grab a quick mid-cycle test and he's blue. I feel bad running in the door, stabbing his ear, and running back out. He doesn't seem to mind too much though. At least he gets lots of yummy treats now!

StephG likes this.
  14. Kris & Teasel

Nope, he's not broken! :);) Looks like he's ready for this dose.

15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You know he's fine as long as he gets those treats!!!

16. Djamila

@Rachel - good timing with that comment. He is fine. He is fine. He is fine. He is walking around, stomping his feet and screaming at me right now because he wants dinner. Still 45 minutes to go...

I might have to leave and go for a walk. :banghead:

StephG likes this.
  17. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Chuck does this too! Climbs all over me and put his butt in my face. UGH. I try to get him to play... something to try to distract him or I hide in the bathroom. lol They sure do know how to pull our heart strings!

18. Kris & Teasel

You're finally getting somewhere with 1.5 u. It'll likely have to go up in a cycle or two. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.