Later AM dosing/alternative schedules

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SamsonsMom, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Hi all, I will begin treating my cat with PZI later this week and I'm trying to think of the best schedule for him. I think it makes most sense to dose around 10:30 am/pm. So I'm wondering, how does that work with his feeding schedule? If I feed him at 8:30 can I treat him with insulin around 10:30 or do I have to wait longer? also, how does this affect home testing? Do I test him in the morning pre-feeding still, or do I test him before his dose around 10:30? Please let me know and thanks!

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey there! Am I correct that this is to do with your baby sitting schedule? Generally, we recommend feeding and shooting at the same time since you want food on board when you shoot to help soften any drops the insulin will give. I know you have a complicated schedule (trust me I GET that) but is it at all possible for you to shoot and feed at the same time? How often would that be an issue for you?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think the feeding at 8:30 is to satisfy his hunger and to meet the criterion of no food for two hours before a shot, right? How about giving a small snack at 8:30, then feed the larger share of his breakfast right after testing at 10:30 and then inject while he's eating or immediately after?

We recommend testing before every dose in the sequence test/feed/shoot. If his appetite is good that can all be compressed into 10 - 15 minutes.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Yep, it's because of my babysitting schedule and because my cats are always hungry when I wake up. Snack at 8:30 then testing/breakfast/shot sounds perfect! Thanks Kris! (it also takes ME some time to wake up and I'd rather test and shoot after coffee :) )

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

However, that would mean I'd have to wait til 10:30 pm for dinner and pm shots/testing, right? That might be too late... ugh this is complicated. so am I to understand that the schedule I proposed wouldn't work? 8:30 am/pm feedings and 10:30 am/pm testing and shots?

6. Kris & Teasel

The issue is having some food on board when you give insulin. In the AM you can try what I suggested. Are you only getting home at 10:30 PM? If so, get a test right after coming in the door (maybe give a few freeze dried meat treats just before), feed his dinner and then inject. Will he have been grazing all day before that? Maybe an automated pet feeder is a good thing to try.

7. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

The issue here is really just the 5 or 6 nights per month that I babysit until very late. Other than those I am mostly home all day. So I'm feeling pretty confused about the schedule...

8. Kris & Teasel

Unfortunately, 5 or 6 night a months is too many to to handle by skipping shots and gradually shifting shot times in 15 or 30 minute increments back and forth that often isn't a good solution. You'll have to plan a different schedule for everyday that accommodates those late arrivals.

9. Kris & Teasel

Is Samson your only cat? If so, an automated pet feeder might be the solution.

10. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

No, I have another cat, Boo. Why is the automated pet feeder a solution...?

11. Kris & Teasel

It gives you the option of having food available up until two hours before test/ feed/shoot. THen you can manually feed a small meal just before the insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.