Learning the abbrs, here's one: AOR glucoses, all high!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sanden, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Sanden

Sanden New Member

Insomnia sucks. Chin-Chin's glucose checks are slowly getting more routine and less traumatic for us both. I directly hit the vein in his ear tonight and he bled everywhere, so I of course panicked. Give me a patient in a full code, I am calm and able to roll through the protocol with ease. Have my poor kitty struggle as his ear drips blood and I drop the Temptations treats container trying to balance his bony butt and the glucose meter and those cubes go everywhere? I'm a scratched up wreck.

AOR = All Over the Road glucoses. Between 355 and up in the 700s. I'm taking him up slow on the Lantus from .5 now up to 2.5 every 12 hours. He only wants to eat the gravy off Fancy Feast or Friskies, and he has 4 other siblings - 2 of which like to share his canned food. I also feed Purina One Vibrant Maturity dry ad lib.

I have bought everything from $2.50 cans of shredded chicken that even the ferals in my colonies wouldn't eat, to Blue Buffalo pate, to vet formulas that gradually turned into petrified blobs, untouched by feline tongues. I have spent a vast sum buying bag after bag of healthy dry cat food. The raccoon or my garage opossum likes it when my ferals again won't even eat my proffered gifts that my house tribe rejects.

I eat cheap TV dinners or PBJs. My Chinny? If he would eat the good stuff, I would buy it. Instead he just wants Temptations and to lap gravy off Fancy Feast. ::sigh::

Suggestions as I try to learn the lingo and work on moving the glucose readings from phone into a spreadsheet?

Sanden & Chin-Chin

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I feel your pain! Welcome - is this your first post to L&L? Are you working on your Spreadsheet? Members on this forum will be asking you about that - it helps so much to be able to see those numbers - when they happened and how long they last...check out the stickies at the top of this forum so you can get a handle on what you'll want to do to get help, advice, support. These people on this forum are wonderful!!! Have literally saved Luci's life...can't say enough nice things about them...but you'll have to do your part and get that Spreadsheet up and running with your BG tests. If you're unsure how to do that after reading the stickie of 'how to'... post in this thread (only one allowed per day) in your title that you need help with your SS.

Best to you and Chin Chin...first thing to do will be to help find some food that he will eat - and get rid of those high carb Temptations (don't feel bad, I used to feed Luci those all the time!)...now I give her Young Again Zero - she thinks they're just fine and gobbles them up (as a treat only - kinda expensive as a regular dry food)...:bighug::bighug:

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome. It takes time to get everything down but you will.

Here are the instructions for getting the spreadsheet up.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Drive isn't given unless we can look to see what is going on. It's best to set It up on a pc. It's Google sheets so some tablets are not compatible. Once linked to your signature properly anyone here can view it and help you. You will see links in all our signatures.

Definitely the dry food should be eliminated as its to high in carbs. For the die hard dry food addict there are 2 foods Young Again can only be purchased from manufacturers. They will send samples. Make sure you tell them you have a diabetic cat so you get the right formula. It's rich so introduce very slowly. The other is Clean Protein, they will send samples but can be purchased on chewy. It's the lowest commercial dry food out there. No dry is better though.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Hi - Welcome! I want to make sure you have seen the slang dictionary. It should help with at least some of the abbr.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The lack of appetite suggests nausea. Often cats get pancreatitis. Mine had it chronically and rarely would vomit but always was inappetent. I was surprised when nausea was suggested. Two drugs often used for this are the high man ondansetron which I used the most and cerenia. Something to discuss with your vet. Dr. Elsey’s is a low carb dry available at chewy.com.

6. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

If you use your phone, you can use the Google Sheets in Google Drive app to update your spreadsheet. I use my phone for almost everything.

7. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

Garfie wouldn't eat chunky stuff either. I just feed him pate now and add some water to make it all look like gravy it works for him. If you have chunky just puree it in a small blender to turn it all to gravy looking. I know every cat is different but it's worth a shot