Leather Interior and Bleach Water.....What's gonna happen?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squeaky and KT (GA), May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

HALP!!!

Last Friday I took our very poor neighbor's pup to the vet as he'd been very sick and getting worse. Unfortunately we got the diagnosis of Canine Parvo. We went ahead with treatment which is working, I bring him home tomorrow.

Here's the issue:
    I need to completely clean the back seat and things like steering wheel of my truck with bleach water. I have dark gray leather interior - what's this bleach water going to do to my leather upholstery? Bleach is the ONLY thing that will kill the Parvo virus. Any hints and tips?

I'm posting this in several sub-forums also linking back to here.....

THANKS!!!!

2. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

Re: Leather Interior and Bleach Water.....What's gonna happe

Spot test a small, inconspicuous area first. Good luck!

3. Barn Cats R Us

Barn Cats R Us Member

Parvosol is used in vet hospitals...but I suppose you would still have to perform a "spot test".

4. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

I hit google to see if I could help you find answers and every site, so far, has said bleach will take the color out of the leather. ugh! So, definitely spot test -

Will keep searching...

Libby (and Hershey, too!)

Just found this response to what to do about a bleach stain on leather:

"I used to own a leathercraft store and had to deal with that problem, for a few customers. You have to recolor the leather.

Do NOT use shoe polish, if it is in an area, which may rub off on someone's clothes.

There is a great product for this, in a spray-on form, called Nu-Life Color Spray, which can sometimes be found in shoe repair stores or online. Unfortunately, you can't really mix this to "match", but they come in a WIDE variety of colors, so you should be able to come VERY close to the color of your furniture.

The great thing about these, is that they have the "sealer" built in, so it's almost a one-step procedure.

The most important thing to remember, when you're matching the colors, is that for one thing, it will look different on each color that you spray it over, and two that it will be a little bit darker, until it dries, so don't panic.

Don't "over-spray" because it will look slightly darker, if you overlap the original color."

5. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Use vinegar and Murphy's oil soap. Vinegar will kill bacteria. I use it on the occasional saddle or bridle that becomes moldy here in FL. I also use it to clean the leather interior of my SUV. DO NO USE BLEACH.

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Deb - unfortunately Parvosol can't be used on porous surfaces like leather, upholstery and carpet. Makes me wonder which of those ingredients is the one that actually does the killing. Dimethyl Benzyl is also in Lysol which doesn't kill Parvo. It's got to be the Ammonium Chloride which contains Nitrogen, Hydrogen, and Chlorine. <---QUESTION: Is the Chlorine the killer in it? It's also 'Chlorine Bleach' altho it's VERY dangerous to mix ammonia and bleach - as it DEADLY. Any idea?

Libby, I was afraid that was the answer but guess we'll see...I really have no choice at this point. I've used Nu-Life color spray - changed the color of my '77 Elky interior from burnt gold to burgandy a few years ago. It worked wonderfully. I'd really rather not have to use it..... :roll:

THANKS ALL!

7. Re: Leather Interior and Bleach Water.....What's gonna happe

Is color safe bleach an option on leather?
    Carl

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Hadn't thought about that Carl...wonder if it kills the virus?

HUGS!

9. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Vinegar will not kill Parvo........checked on that earlier for you. Only bleach will affect the Parvo.

10. Re: Leather Interior and Bleach Water.....What's gonna happe

Read more: What Is Color Safe Bleach? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5854832_color ... z1vRdfSrzN
    If it is the chlorine you need to kill the parvo, then it looks like color safe isn't the answer. :?

11. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I'm not sure just which chemical actually kills it but I know an oxy cleaner won't...it WILL get out stains wonderfully tho'!

Blue's MamaBean's over in her yard with a power sprayer spraying bleach water on the yard again. She's been scrubbing for 2 days....

12. Squeaky and KT (GA)

What if I use the bleach water 10:1 solution to kill the virus then use something like Barb's Murphy's Oil afterwards?

We're talking about a Dodge Ram Quadcab with foldout steel floors. The seats stay up so it's carpet toward the back which was covered in a sheet. It's the back of the front seats and console that I'm concerned with...and the steering wheel as I couldn't not reach back and pet him when traveling. He was so so sick and weak plus never ridden since a baby...scared sh!tless...

13. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Hi Squeaky!!!! Just went through Feline Distimper (kitty parvo) with Atlas...nightmare time.
    Atlas' Parvo Experience

Hire a professional to steam clean the leather. Tell them it is parvo. Steam temp needs to be 132 F or hotter.

Ask the vet for a gallon of THEIR parvocide. Price generally around $100. Foam Quat

Odoban

Nothing I know is not gaurenteed to not damage soft surfaces.

PS. If the dog was in your house or pottied in your yard...you have to disinfect those areas too.

Rule of thumb is the virus can live a year in the home.

14. Beth & Atlas

Parvo clean up

If you have had a dog in your house that has been diagnosed with parvo you must clean like you have never cleaned before. The parvo virus is VERY hardy and can live in the environment (carpeting, hard surfaces, bedding, bowls, yard) for many, many years.

First throw EVERYTHING the dog used into a plastic garbage bag, seal it, and take it outside. This means EVERYTHING...bowls, bedding, toys, collar, leash...

Every hard surface where the dog may have been needs to be washed with a bleach and water solution...1 part bleach to 4 parts water. You need to wipe the surface and leave it wet. It is the evaporative oxidation that will kill the virus.

Upholstered furniture and carpeting will need to be professionally cleaned. You will need to advise the cleaning company of your situation so that they can use the most powerful cleaners. Also, the steam cleaning and evaporation as the fabric dries will help.

Clean up the yard, pick up all waste. Pour straight bleach on the ground where you pick up the waste or know that the dog has eliminated.

Lastly, if you have had a parvo positive animal (dog or cat) in your house you must be very careful about any animals that come into your house for the next year or two. It is highly recommended that you do not bring a puppy (under 18 months) or elderly animal into the home during this time period. Despite your best cleaning efforts there is no way to completely eradicate the virus from your home. So a young animal (immature immune system) or elderly animal (immunocompromised due to aging) could conceivably become infected.

This information is from my experience in fostering animals from shelters. Overcrowding often breeds diseases like parvo. My personal veterinarian has been very helpful in providing these guidelines for cleaning so that my own animals and visiting animals do not become infected. Of course it is a good idea to be sure that other animals in your house (or visiting) are current on vaccinations.

15. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

I would ask around about the bleach dilution. Bleach can be quite dilute and still have good disinfectant properties. A stronger dilution is good for whitening. I found several sites that say 1/30 dilution will kill Parvo, and that might not ruin your leather. I know in dentistry we use it way dilute and it's supposed to kill everything. Main thing is you have to use it freshly mixed. If it sits diluted for a day it's not active anymore.

16. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

Attached Files:

17. Barbara and tuffy

mix equal parts of distilled white vinegar and water. According to HowToCleanStuff.net, the acidic nature of the vinegar will disinfect, clean and deodorize the affected areas. The Murphy's oil soap will replaced the oils in the leather.

Read more: How to Clean After Parvo Recovery

18. Barbara and tuffy

I checked with a friend of mine and she said she used a dilution of 2 oz. bleach (plain bleach) to 1/2 gal. of water with murphy's oil soap to clean some stains on the leather in her car. She said there was some discoloration but not bad. If your dogs are vaccinated and older, they should be fairly safe. Parvo can live for 6 months in the environment.

19. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Beth,
    I was hoping you'd weigh in on this.

Blue was never in our house, we'd never been more than 5' inside the yard until Friday. We HAVE fed him a metal pie pan of soft food morning and afternoon by reaching between the gate and fence.and holding it for him to eat. He very politely always sat there and ate it all. Only he used those pans, they were washed in hot water and soap each time. We only reached over the fence to pet him. I always wash my hands with soap/water after touching any outside animal before touching anything/anyone inside. BUT Friday afternoon, I took him to the vet in the back seat of my truck....thus my problem....I'll pick him up tomorrow in it too....

My vet said 30:1 also...

White vinegar won't kill the Parvo virus altho' it will kill many other things. I use white vinegar quite often as well as good old blue Windex (just an ammonia cleaner).

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

20. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Wow - I learn something new on here just about every day! So sorry you're having to do all of the extra cleaning.

Libby (and Hershey, too!)

21. Beth & Atlas

You can't just wipe down your leather interior with the bleach solution. It has to sit and evaporate. Bleach draws out the fat and oils from things. If you ever come in contact with bleach solutions and noticed the slick feeling on your hands that is from the bleach pulling the layer of fat out from below the surface of your skin. If you know a little about leather, you know it is "tanned and oiled." My concern would not be losing the color, that would simply be an indication that the bleach pulled the conditioners out of the leather and dried it out. This will lead to cracking etc.

Now I would pay to have the interior of the truck professionally cleaned and/or detailed. Honestly, I would call around to a few auto detailers and dealerships and get a few prices. For around $100-$150 it is much better than attempting to do it yourself and then having to pay to get your interior leather reconditioned. Professional steam cleaning is honestly your best bet. A home steamer does not get hot enough. And as my earlier post notes...in the home environment or even your car, the virus will still be lurking there inspite of your best cleaning efforts.

Vets offices and shelters are designed to tolerate parvocides and bleaches. They are designed to allow for quick and easy disinfection. There is a reason for the tile floors and metal cage, etc.

I used the 32:1 to wash/soak my clothes and bedding in for 10 minutes. They tolerated it really quite well with very little fading. I know my vet told me Atlas would still be contagious for several weeks post treatment, but not the usual 6 weeks as we used the Tamiflu as part of the treatment.

The metal pan should get a good soak in the 32:1 bleach. (10 minutes)

Now, on a side note....Atlas still got it even though I had kept the foster cat isolated and even though I had cleaned and bleached (10:1) the foster room. In order for disinfection to work you must clean the area first of all dirt and debris. Then apply the disinfectant. We suspect I tracked it through the house on my shoes and clothes. We didn't know what the foster cat died from at the time.

22. feathersby

feathersby Member

A few thoughts:

In the hospital, a 1 part bleach 10 parts water will kill viruses. That's what we use!

How about parking in the sun, the internal temp of a vehicle can go very high, perhaps that would kill the virus.

23. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A hot car is not high enough unless you get to over 250F. Even with that temperature you need saturated seam environment too. Medical equipment can be sterilized is an autoclave for 250F is a saturaged steam environment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoclave

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What, if any effect, would UV light have? Some air cleaners are now promoting that, so just wondering.

25. Barn Cats R Us

Barn Cats R Us Member

Lyresa,

I would say the Chlorine is the killer in regards to Parvo. I used to hose myself down with this stuff before leaving the vet hospital when there was a "Parvo Pup" there. Even without a Parvo Pup present, I usually sprayed myself, especially my feet/shoes, before leaving. I've wondered what kind crazy cancer I'll end-up with after using, and breathing this stuff in, for over a decade.

Sorry you're going through this. It sounds like bleach, and steam cleaning, are your best bets.

Parvosol:
    http://www.agri-med.com/p-2241-parvosol-ii-rtu-disinfectant-gallon.aspx

26. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

27. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

At our shelter, everything gets cleaned with a 10:1 bleach/water solution, or steam works too. Works for parvo as well as ringworm.

Even if you used the bleach really diluted, it would still discolor the leather? Back when I worked at the shelter part time, they had me cleaning ringworm cat cages, and before I left for the day, I'd spritz myself from head to toe (clothes too) in the 10:1 bleach solution. NEVER once bleached my clothes. Then again, I didn't wear leather!

& no, color safe bleach doesn't have the same chemicals, and it has to be regular bleach. Could you steam the insides, then re-'moisturize' the leather? From what I've heard, steam is the best kill-all and doesn't use any chemicals to do so! The shelter really wishes they could steam everything they have to clean!

28. Jon+Pia

Jon+Pia Member

First test in a unseen area. You've got two things to consider, disinfection and leather cleaning/conditioning.

The cleaning/disinfection agent will draw out the olis/conditioners in the leather.

There are a number of leather cleaning (after disinfection) products that will help. Lexol, Hide Food and Gliptone will put back some of the "oils" needed to keep the leather in good shape. All are rather pricey, Gliptone is $65 for the quart sized bottles - both the Gliptone cleaner and condtioner should be used. I've used Gliptone for many years, but Gliptone is rather hard to find, I get mine from a friend in Virginia via mail order.

Couple of comments about automotive leather: There are two types of leather coloring/dye: spray applied and vat dye. The spray applied dye appears to sit on the surface almost like a plastic-like coating. Vat dye is just that, the leather is tossed into a vat and the color soaks in. Obviously vat dyed leather is more expensive and tends to be found in high end leathers. GM uses the spray applied dye, but is very colorfast and durable until the color "layer" cracks, then quickly "degrades" to a nasty looking mess. Another thing to note is many leather interiors or seats have "leather seating surfaces", so the only leather is coddling your backside! The non-leather surfaces are a good looking vinyl. Headrests tend to be all leather, seating surfaces are the top of the bottom cushion and front of the seatback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.