? Leaving town - Worried about OTJ/CKD cat inappetence - advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WileyWonderCat, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

I started a thread almost a week ago- here it is for some background info-

Old Thread

So I am leaving town on Thursday for 6 days. During my time away, Wiley will stop doing BG tests for his OTJ trial due to pet sitter inexperience and Wiley's skittish personality. I'm actually not too worried about his glucose tests, moreover I am very concerned that he is experiencing a lot of inappetence due to CKD, I think. It is a new diagnosis, so I'm still trying to determine treatments -most of which will need to wait until I return.

I have been bugging Wiley multiple times a day to get him to eat. He only eats a tiny bit at a time. The pet sitter will be coming twice a day, but I'm worried that even that won't be sufficient to get him to eat enough. My other civvie cat LOVES food and will eat all of it, making it difficult for Wiley to graze throughout the day. This is a pretty new situation for me. Wiley has never really had eating issues before. He has lost almost a lb in one month.

So here are the things I've tried so far to increase his interest in food:
    • tried multiple kinds on the low carb/low phos list - he is pretty picky
    • sprinkle bonito flakes on food (works only sometimes)
    • sprinkle FortiFlora- I have reservations about using this due to the ingredient controversy, but it works pretty well. I worry about him not eating anything UNLESS I sprinkle his food with this "crack" powder, so I'm trying to only use it if he really needs to eat.
    I have already talked to the pet sitter about the importance of monitoring Wiley to get him to eat as much as possible when she is there. I've also given her the bonito and FortiFlora tips. Does anyone have additional suggestions?

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried any stomach acid drugs? Pepcid AC, rantidine? (Those are the otc ones. There are also others such as ondansetron that you can get from a vet.) Also, raise his food and water dishes off the floor. About 4 to 5 inches. A slightly nauseous cat does not want to put his head down to eat.

http://www.felinecrf.org/nausea_vomiting_stomach_acid.htm

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

I'm not sure if he is really nauseous, but its possible. There has been no vomiting. I'll run to the store tomorrow and grab some just in case. I've never had to pill Wiley before, so that should be interesting! I don't think the pet sitter will be able to accomplish that task, so not sure how helpful one or two doses will be (since I leave Thursday morning) but it's worth a shot.

Yes, his food dish and favorite water dish are raised.

4. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Forgot to mention that I have also tried to provide frozen wet food ice cubes during the day. That has had mediocre success. I recently installed a camera to monitor the food dish when I am not home. I've seen Wiley eat a small amount of it, but mostly its been consumed by other cat. This might be my only option while I am gone on my trip and I may just have to hope for the best!

5. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Now this wont help you while you are away, but I had a kitty w/CRF and her appetite wasnt what is used to be. I found she loved to eat off my fingers. So for several months I literally hand fed her. Just scooped the wet food on my fingers and she would lick the food off, but she wouldnt touch the plate of food. I dont know why, but it worked to get her to eat. Now ECID and it may not work on Wiley, but you give it a try.

6. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Ive heard some people try sprinkle a little catnip powder on food too. And it's suppose to help with nausea too. Never tried it personally though.

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Similar experience here.

If you get an Rx for ondansetron from your vet you could try crushing the dose finely, mixing the powder well into a small amount of food then hand feed the 'loaded' morsel. If you're successful then it might be something your sitter could manage while you're away.

More ideas for appetite stimulation and medication administration here:

IBD Kitties - general tips 'n' tricks

IBD Kitties - how to pill

Mogs

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

If you try the Pepcid, make sure it is the Pepcid AC 10mg. I think the dose is 1/4 tablet, but check on that.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it, though he has never really wanted to eat out of my hand before.

Thanks!

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.