Liane & Maxwell

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liane Carlock Goldfarb, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liane Carlock Goldfarb

Liane Carlock Goldfarb New Member

Yesterday I adopted a senior cat (9yrs) was given two cans of Fancy Feast..vial of insulin and box of needles, a sheaf of papers which mainly consisted of logs on insulin shots since 9/2016. After reading some of the records I saw where he was diagnosed 9/2016 has had two curves one in 9/2016 and again 4/2017. I was a vet tech so the insulin shots are ok but I was never exposed to a diabetic cat...after reading I wondered if people thought it was kidney disease and euthanized???? So I went on a cat diabetes site and Chris was wonderful...she gave me so much information and links, I'm old but I can learn new tricks....this old boy needs a forever home and he's found it. My home is currently like a zoo...dogs, cats and an old (30+) parrot. Everyone is healthy and happy and co-exists.
    I ordered a test meter and strips..lancets..neosporin...so that I can monitor him and not play russian roulette with his levels... Also found out they were feeding high carb food...Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers...I have the food charts and once my head stops spinning I will get the lower carb food. He is also on 3 units 2x a day of Vetsulin This is all so much...over whelming to say the least...but I can do this... Today I am setting up an appointment with my vet and see what he recommends... I can't afford crazy treatments but within reason, the initial costs have about depleted my little extra $$$ I'm on a fixed income so need to watch my spending.
    This site looks helpful...people like me...experienced diabetes moms & dads... I guess I'm lucky the shelter kept him alive from 9/2016 until yesterday..he is such a love bug...woke up with him all snuggled in my arms..and my other cat glaring at him.
    Any info that anyone thinks will be helpful, please point me in that direction...I've read about the disease..read petmd's info...but real life helps me more. I want him to have a good life..not a pincushion with daily ups and downs...

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You are wonderful for taking on this special needs cat! It's no wonder he needs 3 units of vetsulin with being fed high carb food!!! One word of caution, I would lower that dose when you change to the lower carb food so he doesn't go to low. Honestly once you learn how to home test, is go back to 1 unit along with the low carb food and see what the numbers are. Then if he needs more insulin raise it by no more than 1/2 unit at a time.

We are here for you and can help if you need it! :)

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So sweet he's already taken to you and was snuggled with you! He must be so happy to have a home again. :bighug:

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Liane and kitty! (name?)
    So great of you to adopt him and he's already showing his appreciation with snuggles :bighug:. I agree with what Janet suggested but you should make a post over on Main Health so more eyes can see your situation :cat:. You can also make a thread for your new fur baby on Caninsulin (Vetsulin) thread ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.