Lila amps 16.1 - unsure re insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Liz, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Lila has surprised us this am with amps of 16.1! This change seemed to begin last night. In view of her tendency for big drops we are proposing to give 0.5 u only instead of 1 u. We are due to give her this at 7.15. Unless anyone thinks we should miss dose completely.?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can test today and have plenty of supplies, I'd hold the 1U dose

That's still a very safe number to shoot

I'd plan on getting a +1 and +2 test so that if she does start to drop, you can intervene by feeding her a little food to help slow her down

Now with that all said, I can't stay around to watch you since it's almost 2am here and I have to be out in the morning, but we have people from all over that can possibly keep an eye on you later, like @Gussie's mom , @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey and sometimes @Wendy&Neko

Ann & Liz likes this.
  3. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Thank you, we have already opted for 0.5 and she had that half hour ago, as Lila has had some big drops of late, however we will still monitor regularly today as wouldn't be surprised if she did drop even on this dose, she was at a similar reading before bed last night so seems to have held at that. We are in all day and will test regularly. Thank you. Will post again if any concerns.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Looking at your spreadsheet, I can see why you were a little nervous about shooting the full dose. You would have been fine to shoot it, but that's something you have to decide. You're the ones there with the cat. That said, please keep in mind that you still have the depot from the 1 unit you've been shooting in play. So do monitor Lila today.

I hope, as time goes on, you will be more comfortable with shooting lower and lower numbers, as that is how Lila is going to get better. I can see you are able to test frequently, so really, she is in no danger at all at these numbers. Remember that you are in control, as long as you have food and testing equipment and time. She may bounce a bit from these numbers, but don't get discouraged.

I am not familiar with Caninsulin, so I can't give you any guidance about it, but I think you have things under control. Please don't hesitate to post if you have questions. I'll get a notification and will help as much as I can. I'll be up another hour or 90 minutes.

Ann & Liz likes this.
  5. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

HI
    Sorry, just saw the tag. I'm just up to give Gussie his +8 snack. I don't see a recent post so hoping that means you've got it covered. I'm headed back to hopefully sleep as the alarm goes of in just over three hours for work!
    Surf safely on the reduced dose Lila!:bighug::bighug:

Ann & Liz likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry, just got the tag here too. Now you've got experience under you belt about what happens with the 1/2 dose. It can guide you for next time. There are less Caninsulin users around - so you next time put "Caninsulin" in your subject title so you attract people with that experience.

@Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey There is no depot from Caninulin, it's an in and out insulin.

Ann & Liz and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wendy. As I proved, I don't know anything about Caninsulin!

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.