Lily & ProZinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen & Lily, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

Lily was diagnosed in November 2015. She has been on ProZinc about 7 weeks now. She is eating both a homemade raw diet along with commercial raw food Rad Cat lamb or turkey. How long before her numbers start to come down? Or should I consider changing to a different insulin?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. What kind of numbers are you seeing, and what doses?

zzyzzx likes this.
  4. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

I am home testing using a human meter. This morning she was 424 preshot. She is always in the 400s in the morning. During the day she goes down into the 300s, only once was she 299 at bedtime. I am giving 3 units am & pm. My vet had originally put her on 4 units am and 3 units pm but someone on the feline diabetes facebook page suggested the 3 unit dosage to see if she would level out.

5. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Karen, it would be very helpful if you set up a spreadsheet so if you have any questions, your BG numbers and doses can be evaluated. It sounds like you need to make some adjustments and the spreadsheet would help you out immensley. Would you be interested in setting up a spreadsheet? If so here you go.

Spreadsheet instructions are here.

Once you created a spreadsheet and start publishing your data, then you can post over at the Prozinc forum.

Holler if you have any questions.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If you want help with the spreadsheet, send me a private message. I can set it up for you. Just click on my cat's picture and set up the conversation.

7. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

Thank you! I will try setting up the spreadsheet and if I have any problems I will let you know for sure!!!

8. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

Having problems setting up the spreadsheet. I was able to download and save onto my computer but it didnt save here on the message board. Ugh

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Karen,

On the LH side of your copy (the one saved to your computer) choose Publish to the web. It will bring up a long url. Copy it. Go to the forum and your signature and paste it there. Be sure to choose save after.

Also on the RH side of your copy, choose Share with anyone with the Link.

If that doesn't work, click on my picture and send me a private message and I'll help.

10. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

Thank you Sue! I will give it a try and see what happens! Do I need to be logged into Google when I try?

11. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

Sue, can you check to see if my spreadsheet is now on the board? Thanks in advance!!!

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes, it works! Good work. So, if she has a high flat cycle and the pmps is in about the same range as the amps, I would be tempted to increase to 2.25, hold that for 3 cycles and monitor and then see whether it needs to increase by 0.25 more.

13. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

What is meant by a high flat cycle? And is 3 cycles meaning 3 shots? Sorry but some of this is new to me...Thanks!

14. Sue and Oliver (GA)

A high flat cycle would be pinks for the whole cycle. That may not be true of today; sometimes they drop at the end of the cycle and are lower then than during the cycle. More numbers and the pmps will tell us. I am just thinking that if she stays in the 300 range, that is too high. A cycle is from the am preshot to the pm preshot, so 3 cycles would be 4 shots. If she moves down during any of the cycles for preshots and or nadirs (lowest points in the cycle, usually 5-7 hours after the shot) then we'd think again.

I know we have lots of vocabulary to learn. Here is a glossary:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...used-about-our-jargon-read-our-glossary.1124/

15. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

I have lots to read and learn. Thank you from me and Lily!

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Have we given you the protocol we put together for ProZinc? It is in blue in my signature.

17. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

Thank you Sue!

18. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

This morning Lily was in the 400s. From an overnight low at 285 to over 400. Could it be that she didn't have enough to eat last night for dinner? This morning she woke me up at about 4am wanting breakfast and then threw up a little bit in my bed-mostly clear liquid.

19. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Could be that her upset tummy caused some stress and then higher levels. Or it could be that, even though it was only a yellow, the +4 (and maybe a lower number after that) caused a bounce.

Can you get some midcycle numbers this weekend? That will give you a clearer idea of how low the insulin is taking her, and whether a raise in dose might be a good idea.

20. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

Yes I can do that this weekend. Normally whenever I am home I check her more frequently, but work gets in the way.I would rather be home with her. I think she purrs so heavily that she chokes and spits up. She has quite the motor on her!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.