Limping right paw

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barri & Sonny, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi All!
    Non diabetic related for once! Last night my Sonny got under foot and i stepped (barefoot) on his right front paw...he yelped out of course, then ran from me. He seemed fine a few minutes later (after some boiled chicken!) This morning, i noticed he was limping a bit. He is not meowing in pain, is still running and jumping....all with a limp though. I have even pressed downon his paw to see if there was any pain and there is not. Is this cause for concern or could it just be tender from stepping on it?? Any advice would be appreciated for this worried mama!!
    Thanks

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

It's possible that he's strained a muscle in his shoulder or elbow when this happened. His first reaction would be to pull his foot away and he may have just twisted in such a way to strain something higher up. Poke around his elbow and shoulder areas to see if there are any tender spots there. I've been down this road with mine a few times too so I understand the worry but it's probably nothing!

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Based on the information I would just wait and monitor. It does not seem anything is broken. Thus, it seems rest is that can be done.

4. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you both! Im just watching him now...he ate his 10:30am meal fine and is now napping in the sunlight. Hoping it doesnt require a vet visit sonce we all know how $$$$$ they can be!!

5. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

So i just got home from work (gone 6 hours) Sonny is still limping. He is running and eating and using the litterbox as normal. I noticed that when i pressed on his paw he meowed a bit. Again, i dont think anything is broken because im sure he would be acting a lot different. Is there anything i can do? Or just a bruised bone or something that has to get better on its own?? This mama is worried!!

6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Do you have a kitty chiropractor or acupuncturist ?
    Also arnica is a great homeopathic for pain--helped my guy tons when the cat tree fell on his leg :(

7. jayla-n-Drevon

it sounds like soft tissue but I would watch it--may want to try to the arnica from a health food store-wont hurt might help :cat:

8. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

What do you mean by soft tissue? And what is arnica?

9. jayla-n-Drevon

soft tissue/not bone...maybe ligament or tendon... or just bruised.

Arnica is a homeopathic that is very safe and I have found very effective. Is usually very small tablets/pellet like that I dissolve (1) in a small amount of water, I put in in the cap of the little bottle it comes in and try not to touch it. then syringe it in mouth. You can give it as needed -usually 1-4x a day

You can just pop in in mouth .... with homeopathy the less you physically touch the "pellet/tablet" the better. It is not "traditional/conventional" medicine-
    to my knowledge there are no side effects and it works with the body to help modulate the immune system. It is also best to give when he has not ate or drank for 10 minutes and try not to let eat for 10 minutes after. Fruitful Yield has it and probably whole foods-(it works if they eat just works better and faster if they don't for 10 minutes before and after)

10. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

20160207_201742.jpg So there is a bruise under his paw pad...dont think anything is broken just bruised...still limping. Acting otherwise normal

11. jayla-n-Drevon

I can't tell--is it raised at all? like swollen or fluid in it? Or just a skin abrasion?

12. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

h IMG_20160207_213123.jpeg Yes, raised a bit, swollen, no fluid, tender to the touch...top pick is normal paw, bottem is bruised paw

13. jayla-n-Drevon

Paws are the cutest things ever!
    If he will let you ice it --or something cool maybe not "ice cold" that may help the swelling--
    I don't know if they make a anti inflammatory salve--
    There is a salve in arnica --very safe...

14. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Update- brought Sonny to vet this morning because he was limping even more. X-ray showed a sprain- nothing broken! They gave him an anti-inflammatory shot and 3 days of pills to give him...He is already looking better!!

15. jayla-n-Drevon

Im so glad Sonny is feeling better--if they gave him prednisone or any derivative of cortisone his BG may be a little wonky as it is a steroid--depending on the dose ( I am guessing 5mg if it is pred) I don't think 3 days will cause too much fluctuation of numbers...the important thing is he is feeling better:cat:
    Thanks for update:)

16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Do you know what the shot was?

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

So glad to hear Sonny is feeling better. Wonder if the vet gave him a shot of Metacam? Don't think they would use prednisolone for a sprain at least I hope not!

18. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Hi Barrie, I'm sorry, this post got knocked down the list and I didn't see it! I'm glad you took Sonny to the vet. You might call the vet and ask what kind of shot they gave him. Or is it on your invoice?

19. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

I think it was "Onsior" It comes in liquid form and those are the pills that i have to give him also. Should i be concerned about the shot they gave him??

20. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Also, for a few hours after the shot..he seemed to be feeling better and barely limping...and this morning and all day he has been limping....even after giving him his pill this morning. I am assuming that it just takes a few days to heal

21. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

I was asking about the injection..was that Onsior, too?

Onsior...I have that for Dottie if her mouth becomes inflamed with stomatitis again. It's a non sterioidal anti-inflammatory but it's strong, and should only be used three days in a row, according to the directions. So it's not something your cat could take on a daily basis for more than three days.

I haven't used mine yet...because (knock on wood) Dottie seems to be stomatitis-free. Here's a link if you want to read about it. It can have some negative side effects..the scariest is DEATH), but I think most pharmaceutical companies throw that in just to protect themselves...there's always individuals who can't tolerate any medications.

Just watch your kitty for a few days to see if there are any BG changes.

22. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

He had 1 onsior pill and it seemed to do nothing! He gets 2nd pill in a couple hours. Only have 3. Will call vet later to ask about injection

23. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

WHOA...RED ALERT the pak I have says only ONE PILL PER DAY. You got a pack of three tablets, right? Read the information booklet, ok? Look under "How to give Onsior to your cat"....Check with the vet? Please? My vet gave this to me as an experiment. He wanted my opinion on it.

I didn't give it to Dottie because I didn't like the side effect that said "Death". Then I found out a bit more about it. But PLEASE look in the information paper that comes with the pills and if it says what my paper said..ONE A DAY..call the vet and double check. Call his/her attention to the phamplet if necessary. Sometimes docs will get samples, and they don't really know a whole lot about what they give out. Human docs do that too..I was the unfortunate recipient of such a drug and it almost killed me. Lesson learned.

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Oh Jeanne...so sorry i didnt clarify better....YES...ONE PILL A DAY. I meant that i gave him his first pill yesterday morning (Tuesday) and will give his second pill soon (Wednesday) I just had not noticed a difference for such a strong pill

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Whew! *clinbs down from ceiling* Thanks for replying... Now I can sleep..... ZZZzzzz

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  26. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Oyyyy....so sorry...wish i could go back to sleep, but i have the honor of reporting for jury duty...on my day off from work!! Believe me, i am so OCD when it comes to Sonnys medicine and shot...i dont even let my husband do it!!

Critter Mom and Jeanne & Dottie like this.
  27. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Back at the vet...his paw was bleeding this morning...im freaking out

28. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Eek! Ok, please do not beat yourself up over this. It was an accident. Glad you took him to the vet. :bighug:

29. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

So the vet drained the puffiness on the bottom of his paw..it was filled with some bloody serum...will form a scab, make new skin and fall off...gave him a 10 day antibiotic and he has to wear a cone for at least a week. Have to bring him back next thurs to check...poor thing is miserable with the cone

30. jayla-n-Drevon

if you haven't taken a look at this yet here it is again---NO side effects-SAFE
    I work with all kinds of cats and dogs with all kinds of issues and have never had a adverse reaction to these... you can just do the arnica/traumeel but they work MUCH-better together-
    1/4-1/2 a tablet each 2-3 times a day--crushes easily and no taste--OR
    You can also get arnica pellets and dissolve in water but these 2 will actually help it heal not just help the discomfort.
    good luck!

• [​IMG][​IMG]

31. jayla-n-Drevon

It is safe to take this while he is on the AB-

32. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Can i give insulin while on antibiotics. ..he is usually OTJ but the stress of everything has made his BG go up a bit...not much..

33. jayla-n-Drevon

I will bump this for you as I am not qualified to give dosing info....

34. MrWorfMen's Mom

So sorry to hear Sonny's foot is still causing him grief! Poor guy! :(Yes it's safe to give antibiotics and insulin together. The trauma of the day and the inflammation in his foot is probably causing the slight increase in his BG.

35. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you! The bottom of his paw became inflamed from so much licking that the vet had to drain it...Poor Sonny is now wearing the "cone of shame" at least til next thurs...so he doesnt continue to lick it...he (and i) are miserable about this. Good to know about the insulin...was nervous about that

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  36. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

Ah, poor Sonny. I'm glad you posted the pics. I'd never seen such a bruise before. I'm so sorry he had to have it drained and is now a conehead, but I think the draining may have made it feel better. I stepped on my Smokey a few days ago and am glad he didn't get anything hurt except his feelings. Keep us posted and sending a big kiss to your handsome man.

37. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you! Poor thing just looks at me like "why mom??" Ive been able to keep his diabetes under control for a year and a half...no problem!! And then this!!

38. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

I'm so glad you got Sonny to the vet in time. Poor Sonny, is he right-pawed or left-pawed?

Thanks, jayla, for posting those pics. I have a privately owned pharmacy in the area, (A.K.A. not a chain store) and the pharmacist has a heavy leaning towards homeopathic remedies, so we actually, in this teeny town, have a good local source! (anti-jinx anti-jinx)

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  39. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

So now another problem, Sonny ate his 5pm feeding last night just fine. I gave him his antibiotic at 6:30. He turned his nose up at his 10:30pm feeding and also his 2am...he ate a very tiny bit at both feedings. All he is doing is sleeping and he threw up a bit during the night (just found that now)

40. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh man! Sonny and you can't catch a break. How has the other end been lately? Any exceptionally soft or loose stool? What comes to mind is that antibiotics tend to take their toll on the "normal" flora in the bowels and that may be making Sonny feel punky. A number of folks here use probiotics to counter act this effect. I've never had to use them myself and I'm in Canada so can't recommend a specific brand. You could add "?" at the beginning of your current title and add "now not eating" so folks know there's something new you need help with or you could start a new thread and title it something like "? re: probiotics -not eating while on antibiotics", and provide a link to this thread. Either should get you some more helpful responses.

41. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you! I will....ughhhh we spend so much time trying to control their diabetes that i feel like such a failure when something else pops up!

42. MrWorfMen's Mom

Cut yourself some slack here! Sonny can't walk up and say, "Hey I don't feel well" and tell you where is hurts. All you can do is observe and hope you pick up on the few signs our furry critters display. Cats instinctively hide not feeling well...it's the difference between life and death in the wild and that trait is still very much alive in our domesticated felines. You ARE observing and reacting as soon as you can. You are a wonderful kitty parent!:)

43. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thanks! I did put another post up...he drank some water than threw it up...all water and like a mucus....at the vet now

44. MrWorfMen's Mom

Please keep us posted! I am sending healing thoughts for Sonny! Fingers and paws crossed he's feeling much better real soon! :bighug: for you and scritches for Sonny!

45. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you...they took him for x rays and blood, giving him fluid for dehydration

46. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Ack...I sure hope Sonny is OK. Cats get dehydrated sooo easy. They don't drink enough water, because they are originally desert animals. Their bodies naturally conserve it. But in modern life, many kitties are fed dry food, and they can get constipation issues really fast, and dry out at the drop of a hat. Heck, even kitties who eat wet food can go dry fast.

47. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Back from vet. Took blood, gave him anti nausea shot. Worst news of all....BG levels were thru the roof!! 509!! Back on insulin we go....He was doing fine for months with periodic testing. I think all the stress caused the huge spike! I am beyond devestated. Cant give him food OR water intil 2:30 as per vet...poor boy wants water because he is dehydrated but vet doesnt want him to vomit after he gave him the shot

48. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

The shot the vet gave him was Cerenia. Does anyone know how long it will be til Sonny will want to eat again? I cant give him insulin til then

49. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Ughhhh SHOOT ME!!!!! All of a sudden today Sonny has been limping a bit!! His paw looked to be healing and he was getting back to his normal self...and today i noticed a slight limp again!! Why??? After a really rough couple of days last week (not eating, vomiting water, bg in the 500's, head sitting in water bowl, vet telling me he was in the VERY early stages of kidney disease) all seemed to be ok...now he is limping again. We go back to vet on Thursday but this sucks!!!!

50. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Barri,

Sorry I didn't see your post about the Cerenia till now. :( I'm very sorry to hear what a rough time that you and Sonny have been having. I hope the vet will be able to sort out Sonny's paw. Did he get treated for infection at all? Ask the vet to check for it and get some antibiotics if necessary. Saoirse and myself have been finding out the hard way how important they are for diabetics.

Sending prayers for Sonny to feel better and some :bighug:s for you. I really feel for you.

Mogs

51. MrWorfMen's Mom

Poor Sonny! Poor you! I can only imagine how frustrated and concerned you must be! Is it possible that Sonny stepped on something when you stepped on his foot and got it lodged in his paw pad? Some things just don't show up on xray and it only takes a tiny splinter or whatever to cause problems! Would he let you apply a warm saline compress to his paw?

Critter Mom likes this.
  52. jayla-n-Drevon

cerenia generally lasts 24 hours and usually takes effect pretty quick-
    it is not a appetite stimulate it is anti nausea... it helps with some inflammation as well-
    you can ask the vet to give you the oral cerenia if he needs it more often or you can get the injectable but just FYI it stings when injected --I personally inject after I give fluids to dull the sting.

53. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

He has been fine for almost a week now...paw was healing fine...scab was gone (from when vet drained it) appetite was back etc....just today i noticed a slight limp again

54. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi Mogs! Yes...Sonny was on amoxil from 2/11-2/16. Vet took him off it when he saw paw was healing fine, and he wasnt eating. All the antibiotics did was make him sick in my opinion

55. MrWorfMen's Mom

I realize the vet drained the area and Sonny took antibiotics, but if something got embedded in the paw pad, it could flare up again. It's like getting a splinter in your finger, you can't always see it but it hurts when you push on the area. If there is something there, it could cause the infection to re-occur. Of course I'm just taking shots in the dark here but it just seems strange that he'd start limping again now unless there is something irritating his foot. Is the pad tender to touch, red, warm, off colour?

Critter Mom likes this.
  56. Critter Mom

It's a tricky balancing act between the antibiotic benefits and the GI upsets. I feel for Sonny because I had to take a course of antibiotics recently and I was as sick as a dog on them. If Sonny needs more antibiotic cover maybe you could ask the vet if some anti-nausea meds or other GI supportive treatments might help with the side effects? Saoirse's getting Cerenia at the moment (easier admin than her normal ondansetron treatment - I've got the time and know-how to get her to take the ondansetron in her food but the nursing staff at the vets don't have the resources to manage that for her). Even with Saoirse's mouth being sore the Cerenia is very much helping to keep her eating.

Even with the side effects I am far happier to know that Saoirse is getting some protection against infection again. I wish that they had kept her on antibiotics longer because she might have been spared the distress of the last few days plus the additional complications. The temporary GI upset is very much the lesser of two evils.

Mogs

57. Critter Mom

PS ...

Infection increases the risk of DKA so it is a very big issue for diabetics.

58. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

It seems a very little tender to touch. He has a vet appt on Thursday, i wonder if it needs to be drained again

59. Critter Mom

Try to do what you can to keep Sonny properly hydrated, Barri, and be sure to test every day for ketones. How is he eating at the moment?

60. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Eating, drinking, using litterbox all fine

61. MrWorfMen's Mom

Have you got a magnifying glass around to look closer at the paw pad? It would be really easy to miss a tiny little entry point with the fur on their paws if something did get embedded. And the entry point may have healed over. If he'll let you, I'd try a warm saline compresses. Can't hurt and might help!

62. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you!! I will try and see if i can see anything

63. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Actually Sonny could be limping a bit simply because the swelling has gone down and he's moving about too much.. Some swelling is good, it's like putting a cast on an injury...it pads it. With the inflammation going down, that padding disappears. Try to keep Sonny still, so he doesn't aggrivate his paw by standing on it a lot without his 'cast'.

And when a kitty is dehydrated..that's more 'padding' that disappears. Skin injuries become brittle and unpleasant. Think of how scratchy your throat gets when it's dry. I take so many meds that my throat is bone dry a lot of the time..and it can hurt!

64. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you for that! It makes me feel better!! I try to keep him still...but he is such a mommas boy! If i am on the couch he will jump on the couch...if i am on the bed....same thing. I hope he is not dehydrated again...he was when this was going on about a week ago and the vet gave him fluids and he was drinking a lot! His drinking has returned to normal. His bloodwork from last week showed that he was in the "very early stages" (vets exact words" of CKD. He wants to get the diabetes back under control to see if that helps first.. is that the right thing to do? I was already thinking of either getting a phosphorus binder for his food (he eats friskies pate) or switching his food to a low carb/low pho food

65. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

And hhe is also licking the paw a lot

66. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Licking is good, he'll help to keep the wound clean. Only if he becomes so obsessive that he's causing visible harm should be cause for alarm. See if you can distract him if you spot him licking. Sometimes just a second's worth of distraction can break the pattern. And of course, there's always the cone of shame :nailbiting::confused: We gotta find another name for that.

67. Critter Mom

Cone of Disgrace?

(Not as catchy.) ;)

68. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

FB_IMG_1456309525736.jpg Poor thing had to wear it for his paw already when the vet drained it. This was before he had that horrible stint of not eating!!

69. Critter Mom

Sonny has the loveliest little face. :cat:

70. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

He is a sweetie, isn't he?:cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  71. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ditto! He looks a little mischievious too!

72. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you!! He is my love! He is only 7 years old. I grew up with 3 cats who all lived around 20 years...so i am determined to do all i can for my baby

Critter Mom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  73. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Yes!!He is a total mommas boy!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  74. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Oh he can be! Especially when he decides to scratch the furniture at 2am because he wants to get fed!

75. Critter Mom

How are you and Sonny doing today, Barri? Did you manage to get a bit of decent sleep?

Mogs

76. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi Mogs..Sleep?? What is that? I sleep like a newborn! Up every 2 hours :-( I havent seen Sonny walk yet as he is curled up in a ball asleep on the couch! How bout you? I know you have had a hell of a time! Saiorse doing any better?? Our pets are our children...we do all we can to get them better and make sure they are happy!!

77. Critter Mom

Sleep is a nasty rumour. ;)

Thank you for asking after Saoirse. She's back home from the vets (and very happy about that) but her mouth is still sore so she's having trouble eating.

I hope Sonny's little paw gets better really soon. It's so hard seeing anything wrong with our furry childer.

:bighug:

Mogs

78. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Keep shoveling food into her, Mogs. It's hard, but she's gotta eat so she can heal. Dottie's refusing to eat anything but gravy now. And she won't lap at pureed food, the little brat. So I'm feeding her by shoveling fingertips full into her mouth. Of course, I can grab Dottie's head, and you can't do that, because of Saoirse's eye. I really feel for your predicament.

Darn cats anyway, for being so anorexic in their behavior when they aren't happy. I wish I knew the kitty reasoning as to why they suddenly stop eating. Is it a death-wish? Are they afraid that if they eat, they'll have to poop and they don't want anything discovering their wherebouts because they might be attacked? Whatever the reason for this perverse behavior, it sure makes it hard to care for them.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  79. Critter Mom

@Jeanne & Dottie -

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a struggle to get nourishment into Dottie, Jeanne. As you feel for our predicament, so I feel for yours.

:bighug::bighug:

Mogs

80. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Well, I have found one way to make feeding easier...this is a real art, feeding a cat who doesn't want to eat.

I started out with the catsoup...you all know that. And for a while it worked. But let's face it, catsoup looks AWFUL. Totally uninspiring. And it's only one trigger for cats, who take a host of variables into consideration when they eat. Taste, smell, color, texture, ease of eating.

Ohhh lookit that one variable...texture. Any human who was forced to eat a hated food..(my food hate was applesauce) when they were a child will understand the horrid bulky, sometimes slimey bulkiness, and how one who doesn't want to eat it has a tendency to gag whenever that food gets forced into their mouth.

So pretty soon, Dottie figured out that slimy pureed food looked, and felt, and likely smelled a lot like eating liquid stools. ( I can't eat ranch dressing, which reminds me of food that comes 'up' after it's been 'down' awhile:nailbiting: And she didn't want to eat THAT!

So then I approached from Chris's angle of feeding, and tried a spoon. It's a beautiful way to eat if the cat approves. Very mother/child. The new method distracted my kitty for a bit..but then she bumped her tender toothless mouth against the spoon, and THAT option was out!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I substituted my soft fingertip instead of a spoon, scooping up a bit on my index finger, facing her, prying open her mouth, and placing a dot of glop far back on her tongue. Nope..too close to the throat-hole, and she would gag. :arghh: I tried further front up in her mouth..and that was a bit better. But she still struggles a bit if I do this, :facepalm:turning her head away from me, forcing me to wrestle a bit as I manipulate her jaws.

Today things are much better. I changed my tactics, and this just might be the magic. I place her on my lap, so I'm not facing her directly. This eliminates the direct confrontation that no one likes when someone tries to convince us to see things their way. I pet her for a while, comb her head, (she loves this)..and then sneak up on her from above, and lower one hand until I can press gently on both sides of her mouth. My hand becomes, in essence, a cat-hat that does double duty as a wedge.

When she does start to open her mouth a bit, I then place food on the tip of my finger, but I don't put it on her tongue. Instead, I touch the food up against the roof of her mouth, just at the very front. It's easy to get the liquidy food IN, because I can use the front rim of her upper jaw to scrape off the goo, and it's still IN her mouth. Putting it on the roof of her mouth totally removes any chance that the cat will flex it's tongue and gag. That corrugated hard palate also holds the food very nicely.

Dottie's then free to close her mouth, allowing the food to go onto her tongue without danger that she'll gag. Closing her mouth is her idea, instead of being a reflex action.

To my delight, she seems perfectly ok with this! She has stopped trying to force her head away, and instead, places her head in the palm of my open hand, in between times when I use that hand and finger to scoop the food. This leaves the hand I use to open her jaws, free to pet her for a moment. Dinner was peaceful.

This whole procedure cannot be rushed. Any attempt to speed the whole process up, adds to the stress.

Tonight, Dottie almost fell asleep with her head in my palm! She closed her eyes. And when I pinch her jaws, she opens them, and has actually taken a few licks of food residue off my finger! She was totally relaxed on my lap, allowing me to get in even more in-between pets...she loves having her head petted just between and above her eyes. So suddenly, for at least one day, I'm not struggling with her, to get that gooey mess of pureed food into her mouth.

We'll see how long she stays agreeable.o_O I've learned from everyone and their "anti-jinx" commentaries, that just when you start to pat yourself on the back, cats do a u-turn and say "NOPE. :banghead::banghead:Not gonna do it."

I'll keep you all posted.

81. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Stupid question! When you refer to a "civvies" cat...what does that mean? Diabetic? CKD?

82. MrWorfMen's Mom

A "civvie" is a non-diabetic cat! :D

83. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Ahhhhh gotcha!! Thanks!!

84. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

So i am taking Sonny to vet today for a follow up checkup. Can i ask for a copy of bloodwork so i can see the phosphorus number? And i KNOW hebis going to try to convince me to get perscription food for the kidney which i dont need!!

85. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Absolutely, they should print you one out no problem and stick to your guns about prescription food if you don't want it.
    Just smile and nod, (works for me;))
    Good luck today, fingers and paws crossed for a good checkup.

MrWorfMen's Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  86. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Sonnys BG is just crazy!! Last Tues at the vet, during the whole vomiting, bad paw not eating fiasco, vet tested blood and his BG was 509!! He was doing fine OTJ for a while now, eating, drinking, peeing all normal. Vet put him back on 2 units of vetsulin 2x a day...as usual. Today i bring him for his checkup and his BG was 60!! What is going on??

87. Critter Mom

Healing?

What's the news on Sonny's paw?

88. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi Mogs!
    The paw is healing...now im just concerned with Sonnys BG being all over the place...trying to get him regulated again!! Hope your baby Saiorse is doing ok!! :):bighug::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.