Little Roo starts 1st ProZinc tonight 9PM

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by LittleRoo, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Little Roo will start on her ProZinc tonight. 1 unit twice a day for 2 weeks.

I'm thinking the routine will roughly be:
    8:40am AMBG test.
    8:45am FOOD.
    9:00am SHOOT ProZinc.
    {Go to WORK.} (Monday - Friday)
    Home from work:
    5pm - 6pm (est) PMBG TEST / FOOD.
    8:40pm PMBG test.
    8:45pm FOOD.
    9:00pm SHOOT ProZinc.
    11:00pm PMBG test (before bed.)
    {SLEEP}

And start all over again.
    (maybe some additional BG testing if needed during week.)
    Weekends I'll def try doing curves and I'll get the Alphatrak BG pet meter for those.
    Am I planning everything in the right direction?

Few questions:
    1. I know I have to get the insulin shoots in as close to every 12 hours as possible. Is there a safe amount of time/play with the times? For instance: for whatever reason, say I'm running late or something comes up etc. and it's now like 9:30am or 10am or even later... Would I still give the AM insulin shot and then adjust the second PM insulin shot to 9:30pm or 10am or later? As long as the times are 12 hours apart? Then can I go back to regular allotted planned times? Just wondering if there is a small window/cushion in case time gets away from me for whatever reason...

2. Anyway we humans can test Fructosamine levels? Or is that strictly vet testing?

3. When I get the Alphatrak meter, would I show those results on a different spreadsheet page in the Relion Spreadsheet I already started or just add 'Alphatrak meter testing day' to the notes section? (which would be mostly weekend curves.)

Wish us luck!! :coffee: :cat: :nailbiting:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You've got a good schedule worked out. You have to live it for a while to see if it works for you. Here are my answers to your questions:
    1. ProZinc allows some flexibility in dose timing - up to 1 hour plus or minus is generally what we say.
    2. The fructosamine test is done by the vet. If you have a good home testing routine annd log all your data there's no need for a fructosamine test. It gives an average BG over a few weeks and therefore doesn't give much useful info. Your spreadsheet data is much more valuable.
    3. I don't think you need a separate SS for AlphaTrak data. Just be aware that if you get a low BG the colour coding range is lime green for <68 with the AT and <50 with a human meter. You might have to manually colour code any low numbers you happen to get on the AT meter.
    Good luck! You've got this! :smuggrin:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    LittleRoo likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Welcome Little Roo and Little Roo's human! It sounds like you're off to a great start already! And the numbers you're getting look really promising! Great job getting an early start on testing.

I would add to Kris' #1, that while Prozinc can be safely given up to 1 hour plus or minus, it is important to be as close to the same time every day as possible. Insulin is a hormone, and just like everything in our bodies that is driven by hormones (sleep, hunger, etc.), there is a predictable cycle to it. We tend to wake up, get tired, and feel hungry on roughly the same schedule every day. So it's like jet lag - you can safely travel a couple of time zones east and west, but you're going to feel kind of lousy - you'll be tired and hungry and wake up at the wrong times. Changing dosing times is like that too because you're messing up the timing of the hormones in your kitty's body. So it's safe, and okay when you have to, but the cat is going to feel kind of icky if the timing is messed with very much. Kind of like when we have jet lag.

So changing the timing one day isn't a big deal. But if you change the timing regularly, it can have an overall crummy effect on how they feel. It can also make the numbers bounce around a bit since you'll be testing a little early or a little late and that can make a difference in the numbers you're getting for the test.

You don't have to chain yourself to the house with timers and alarms set all over the place, but just try to do your best to keep consistent.

Now for the better news: you may not have to do this for too long ;) You've got some pretty great numbers to start with! Are you going to be home to monitor for that first cycle with the insulin tomorrow?

LittleRoo likes this.
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hello to Roo and Roo's bean! What should we call you?

Kris and Djamila have already given you great info! I don't want to repeat them, so my only addition will be on the days you use the AT meter, please make sure to put a note in the notes section of your SS that you used the AT...just so we'll know! :)

LittleRoo likes this.
  5. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Hi and thank you to all here! I will be home all day tomorrow to keep a good eye on her, luckily!!

6. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Okay, here we go! PMPS= 180. Ate great! Just gave Roo her first insulin shoot of 1 unit! Will PMBG test in +3 at 1am before bed.
    Little Roo seems unfazed lol. Mom on the other hand= :nailbiting: :blackeye:

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

What a GREAT number! Looking forward to that +3 test.

Since it's your first shot, you need this: Dear Mom. It'll help you feel better.

LittleRoo likes this.
  8. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Thanks Rachel!! :kiss:

Rachel likes this.
  9. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Just did my 1am PMBG +4 and it was nice and low: 164! :)

10. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

I am Suzanne :)

11. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hello Suzanne and Roo! Welcome to you both. It seems like you've got a wonderful start and have so many great people helping you along. I'm still a bit newer than most but will do my best to check in as well. Great job so far! :joyful:

LittleRoo likes this.
  12. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne and Roo, again :smuggrin:. Kris and Djamila answered your questions and got you setup there. I think you already have the hang of how the SS works but just going to add a couple things in brackets/colour :D. Also, since you purchased an AT2 for curves (correct?) you can still use the same Spreadsheet with your ReliOn Micro data. Take a look at Maury's and you can see what I do when I use AT2. Any day that says Curve, is when I use the AT2. I will just emphasize AMPS and PMPS are the most important for anyone but I think they're a little extra important for Roo since all of her PS numbers were under 200 so far. You're doing great though! :bighug: Try your best to keep the SS updated because we will look even if you don't post :p and then worry when it's not updated :smuggrin:. If you ever have a moment of second guessing or confused about something, do not hesitate to ask us ;)

13. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Ok and thank you! I only just ordered the AT2 but should arrive early this week. Will take a look at Maury's SS tonight! Roo had her lowest BG yet! Her +4 was 164 but her +7 today was 117!!! Wow! 3rd insulin shoot will be in two hours! Trusting the process....

14. Djamila

Hi Suzanne! That's a great +7 reading!!!

I'm getting a little bit confused by your spreadsheet. Roo got 164 last night at +4, and today at +4? (Kitties do tend to have "favorite" numbers, I just want to make sure I'm understanding that correctly since I only see 164 on there once, but reading through the thread, it sounds like it's happened twice.

Also, could you put on the spreadsheet the dose that you gave for the AM cycle today, and the AMPS test if you did one?

And finally, you're getting low enough numbers that your pre-shot tests are going to be super important. You wouldn't want to give a shot if Roo was still around 117 by the PMPS time, so please make sure to get a test in before giving your shot tonight, and post if you have any doubts about whether you should shoot or not. We are happy to help!

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Are you testing before feeding and giving insulin in the AM? I don't see those numbers on your SS. I see that you gave insulin on a 180 PS last night. That was brave so early in the game. Luckily it worked out OK. We generally advise no shot under 200 until you have a lot more data on your SS. When in doubt, post here for help. :)

LittleRoo likes this.
  16. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Just updated (sorry 'bout that!) and yes, always BG test right before food and shoot right after. My vet was very adamant about trusting the process, which I am right now. Her numbers for my testing on the human Relion meter have been low luckily thus far - (vet's were high!) although I know human meters run lower numbers than the pet meters. I'm keeping an eye on my numbers and if they get really low - I will probably call my vet and won't shoot - esp if I won't be home. I can't wait to get the pet meter and see the difference between the two - as the pet ones run higher and what the vet seems to trust more.

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Pet meters do run higher than human meters (so don't be downhearted when you see higher numbers!). We tend to be fine with either here as long as we know what you're using...for us it's about patterns mostly.

I would be cautious about shooting under 200 until you get more data...I might skip if it was me so early in the game. As you get data, you can shoot MUCH lower numbers because you'll know how your kitty reacts.

LittleRoo likes this.
  18. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

I feel pretty safe right now, for the moment. I did ask my vet to start a lower dose - 1/2 a unit instead of 1 unit and see how she does in a few days but he was insistent on the 1 unit to start. Slow and steady he said. We did talk briefly about if and when she goes low and to watch for that. But he doesn't want me to start adjusting insulin doses on my own (I had even asked for and about getting 1/2 unit needles) but he wasn't having any of that. My numbers have also run so much lower than the vets too. She's in the 300's with his BG tests. I really need to get that AT2 meter!

What would be considered ideal and safe BG levels? 50 - 99 Green? And which meter is that? I know anything under 50 (human meter) and under 69 (pet meter) would be considered hypo and I don't want that!! I DEF won't shoot if I saw those #'s!!!

If I get any green numbers with Roo, could I skip the shoot as I don't want her to go too low? I know we pet moms might get a 'fur shot' here and there every once in a while- and if we do - to just skip that dos and do the next one 12 hours later. 'Better to be high for a day than low for a minute' I understand. So I feel less nervous if I have to skip a shot - because I messed it up OR her number seemed way too low for me. Little comfort in that.

As for my 'under 200 numbers' I showed all my test numbers to the vet prior to insulin that night {122, 181, 174, 204, 192, 176, 180, 164} and he still wants her to get the shot twice a day at 1 unit. His office BG test was 313 yesterday. Big difference from my numbers.

Just have to keep monitoring her, keeping an eye on her and making good judgement calls. I know everything is still fluctuating and will continue too - new insulin introduced into her body, the complete diet change... and I know the worse case scenario is going too low.

I'll have to see what her PMPS will be tonight...

Thanks for chiming in here - appreciate it all! Def giving me lots to think about, which is proactive and good!! :)

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We consider anything from 50-120 to be "normal" numbers (on a human meter). On a pet meter, probably more like 70-150 or so. That's why I definitely wouldn't shoot any number between those no matter what...that is a normal number for a cat off insulin!

Remember also that your vet's numbers are higher probably due to stress as well. Cats just have lower numbers at home since they're not at the vet where they feel stressed out and have other animals making noise and people they don't know as well poking them...so you'll probably get lower numbers than your vet even with a pet meter.

If you get a green PLEASE skip that shot...it's definitely not safe to shoot on that! You might see a few SS's on here that have but these are kitties that are probably pretty close to remission and these are beans that have TONS of data and experience and can be at home to watch...and know their kitties just aren't likely to go hypo from it. For anyone other than them, due to those specific circumstances, I would skip that.

It's great that your vet suggested slow and steady! That's a good way to go. And consistency is usually key in this disease (there's always that one kitty that's different, but we find consistency works best). If you do shoot a number below 200, please do just keep a careful eye on her and get some mid cycle tests. Do you have a hypo kit ready just in case? NOT saying you'll have one, but it's best to be prepared!

Just a thought I feel I need to introduce here. I know your vet doesn't want you to change the dose on your own (and I get that!), but if you get a number under 200 do you think you could maybe stall without food for about 15-20 minutes and test again? That way, you'll just be SURE that her numbers are going up and it might bring her up to a slightly better number...just for your peace of mind (and ours!) to know that she's rising and not falling.

I'm going to stop bugging you now! I am sorry if I sound like a broken record...definitely not trying to nag, just want to be sure you have all the info you need! You're doing GREAT and I know that Roo is lucky to have you!

LittleRoo likes this.
  20. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Thank you Rachel! I will def keep an eye on her and those numbers! Any green and I will def skip too. Or like you said, wait 15 minutes and test again.
    I do have the hypo quick reference printed out- have Karo syrup, temptation treats, high carb dry. I do have to get a high carb can food though - prob a FF with gravy!

Don't worry about bugging me at all. I appreciate all the responses here! I am learning so much in such a short period of time. Just have to find the balance of everything. Funny, cause Little Roo acts so normal and has been so good through it all. Brave little girl, that's for sure :)

21. Djamila

Hi Suzanne! I want to echo what Rachel is saying. When my kitty was first diagnosed, my vet told me the same things your vet told you. Thankfully I found this site and learned about home testing and the dramatic difference in numbers when a cat is relaxed at home vs. when they are stressed at the vet. To be honest, if I had followed my vet's advice, I would have killed Sam. He was only on insulin for three weeks during his first diagnosis, and his dose needed to be reduced quickly or he would have gone hypoglycemic. I don't mean to scare you or be overly dramatic. But I do hope you'll skip the dose if you get a number under 150, and consider giving a smaller dose for anything under 200, or at least do some extra mid-cycle tests to keep an eye on how Roo is responding to the insulin.

We are all here to help if she does end up hypoglycemic, but it is really so much better if you can avoid that! And again, I really don't mean to scare you. I know you are concerned about keeping Roo safe too. And I don't want to bug you or be bossy. I just know how shocked I was at how quickly and dramatically Sam responded during his first diagnosis and don't want to see other people go through that. :bighug:

22. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Thank you for great advice!! Her PMPS was 204 so I ended up giving Roo her PM shot tonight. I'm def going to test her a couple of times before bed too. That's what I'm hoping too - a short stint on insulin - to make those numbers stick and hopefully, remission. And to lower the dose in the process - as long as Roo's levels agree and my vet says yes (and gives me smaller dose needles.)

Hypo is my biggest fear with all this of course. I am as prepared as I can be but still hope it doesn't fall to that. From what I understand, 50 - 120 (roughly) is normal on a human meter.. so 150 is still a little high and I would probably feel safe still giving the dose at that. It's those lower #'s though I really gotta watch and decide.

I see Sam has some much better numbers going on now!! :) That's great! I used to have a cat named Sam too and he was one of my VERY favorite cats ever! (he even retrieved balls for me lol) I love and miss him so much as he passed away at 13 years old years ago.

Not bugging me at all either!! It's all such incredible advice and helping me learn a lot!
    I can't wait to be able to lower her doses - if and when it comes to that. As I keep testing and watching - I'll be sure to keep my vet informed with my GB #'s too. And if I am hesitant in any way whatsoever - I will certainly skip a shot if I feel hesitant.

Thanks so much for much to think about! I hope your Sam gets well soon!! <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.