Looking for a new home for my poor little Buddy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Andrew B, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a 10 year old female cat, named Buddy, who is exhibiting every symptom of feline diabetes. I am not able to have her properly diagnosed, or treated, and having her euthanized is only a last resort option right now. I'm hoping to find someone in British Columbia, Canada who is willing and able to adopt her, treat her, and give her a better life than I can offer her. Thank you to anyone who replies to this.

2. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

Is it finances that are the issue? There are some fundraising ideas that would perhaps help out if so.
    You could buy a home test meter for maybe 50.00 or less and test the blood to see where her blood glucose is at and based on that yo would have some indication if diabetic or not.
    What symptoms? Perhaps someone here seeing this will be close to you and could help test the blood to see what the levels are?

3. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Thanks Kerri,
    Finances are an issue, but also, I will not be able to regularly give the shots.
    Buddy is a small cat, but overweight for her skeletal build and lately her water consumption has at least doubled, along with her urination. She now often urinates outside of her litter box, and can no longer jump onto things. She is shedding fur rapidly and has a large patch on her back where the fur looks unhealthy and much thinner than it used to be. Also, despite her appetite increasing, she appears to be losing weight. Her mood seems to be quite depressed and she rarely seeks out attention anymore.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You really need a vet checkup for her. If you want to check the blood sugar yourself you can use a human meter. Right away stop giving any dry food and only give pate wet foods such as fancy feast classic or Friskies pate.

5. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Thank you for the advice.

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Andrew, please contact DCIN (Diabetic Cats In Need). They may be able to help with rehoming, or with enabling you to continue to care for your kitty.
    http://www.dcin.dreamhosters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/DiabeticCatsInNeed/

Eliz

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Andrew, are you able to get some Ketodiastix test strips from a pharmacy and test your kitty's pee for glucose and ketones? If she has glucose in her pee she is most likely diabetic. If she has anything above trace ketones you will need to contact a vet, ASAP, for advice, as ketones can develop into a dangerous condition called diabetic keto-acidosis.

The test only requires that you dip the end of the test strip into a drop of pee. Crumpling plastic food wrap over the litter tray is often an easy way to catch a sample.

Eliz

8. JanetNJ

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home. If you can buy or borrow a meter from someone you can confirm your suspicions. There are many people with hectic schedules. Some insulins are more flexible with timing then others.... Even if you can only give one shot certain days is better than no treatment at all. Untreated diabetes can lead to organ failure and, neuropathy (which it sounds like it's starting... But IT'S REVERSIBLE WITH INSULIN and b12 methylcobalamin supplements added to food) and ketoacidosis which can quickly become life threatening. While initial testing at the vet can be pricy, the insulin lasts several months and syringes aren't expensive. If it's that you are worried you can't handle the treatment /shots, I assure you we are here to help, and it really only takes a few minutes out of your day.

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

@Andrew B

Yes Andrew contact DCIN. They are dedicated to helping diabetic cats in many ways. They might be able to help you care for Buddy or help rehome him if needed.

I adopted my Olive through them in February. She was from Quebec. I'm in Pennsylvania. They even arranged transportation to get her to me.

I am going to tag Chris as she is with dcin as well as a member here. I put a link to their Facebook page for you. Please contact them. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

@Chris & China , is it possible to help Andrew in some way?

https://m.facebook.com/DiabeticCatsInNeed

10. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

11. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

It does sound like she has diabetes........ can you test her to see what her BG is?
    She really does need to see a vet and i see someone else recommended DCIN who you can email or find on facebook as well. They sometimes can help with medial and might be able to help rehome but if you could hookup with someone in your area to help out that would be best.

12. MezaDog

MezaDog New Member

First of all, I'm terribly sorry for what you're going through at the moment. I'm also very sure you're well aware of the fact your cat is going to have a hard time separating.
    Please contact DCIN as soon as possible - I believe you want nothing but the best for your lovely pet. Good luck and please keep us posted! :kiss:

13. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Thanks everybody. I have not yet contacted DCIN, as I believe they need a vet's script with a diagnosis, which I don't yet have, before they can help. Unfortunately, I'm unable at the moment to pay the vet for the testing required, but I'm working on getting some financing from family and expect to be able to get that done in the near future. In the meantime, I've taken some advice from this excellent community, and taken her off her dry food and am exclusively feeding her fancy feast pate, which is most definitely improving her condition. She is drinking less water, urinating less frequently, and she's now seeking out attention like she used to, even jumping up onto the couch beside me :). Thank you so much everybody for your suggestions and support. I will continue to post updates of Buddy's situation and condition.

14. Olive & Paula

@Andrew B contact dcin anyway, they might be able to get the dx for you. If you know anyone with diabetes, see if you can borrow the meter and get a reading. Check with any local rescues, they might be able to test for you.

15. JanetNJ

At my vet a fructosamine test which will be what they use to diagnose is about $100.

16. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I wish I could help you. We're having a dog no one wants flown from Cranbrook to Vancouver, then Ontario. DCIN is seriously you're best bet, good luck to both of you.

JeffJ likes this.
  17. Rain7

Rain7 Member

I have contacted Diabetic Cats In Need several (make that multiple times), and they have yet to give me a straight answer as to whether or not they are able to help me at all. I realize they have many other cats in much more desperate need than my Jerry, but they could throw me a bone or SOMETHING. I have sent them a picture of Jerry, the vet bill, his story, my situation, etc. They keep saying someone will get in touch with me, but they aren't very responsive. I guess they don't want to be bothered with someone who is planning on keeping their cat and trying their damndest to pay for all of this crap that has to be paid for to keep your own cat, and not give it up. It is frustrating as HELL!!!!!!!!!

18. JanetNJ

In your signature it says you're using the Alphatrak. Human meters are cheaper. The diagnosis and initial purchases are expensive, but after that it's really not expensive. The insulin is good for at least three months. Syringes can be bought for about $15 for 100 of them. The only pricy part are test strips, which if you use human ones are cheaper. Check eBay for insulinx strips. They work in the Alphatrak and you can find them on eBay cheaper.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  19. Noah & me (GA)

It's my impression that DCIN is more an immediate medical assistance group first and re-homing is not their top priority. They're also stretched to the limit.
    There must be something or someone more local to you that can help. Have you tried looking across the border at Washington, Idaho or Oregon? We've got a full house here otherwise you'd be meeting my wife at Vancouver airport next week.

20. Noah & me (GA)

21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The SPCA in Vancouver has a vet staffed hospital that will help people in need. They can do low cost services. They also have a pet food bank and monthly free vet services for those in need called Charlie's Angels.

Depending where you are in BC, there may be other options. Contact your local humane society or shelter for suggestions.

What sort of food is Buddy eating? If you can get her into low carb wet food, that may lower her blood sugars a bit, and help the symptoms.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  22. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

I am 2 weeks in dealing with the same thing, I lucked out as my Mom offered to loan me the money for her vet visit, but if not I was going to do the following to at least know what I was dealing with $27 home testing vs. $320 vet visit in my case.

FIRST OFF - I am not one of the pros around here, I am still learning with my cat just being diagnosed 5/27/2018

I completely understand your dilemma, I too contemplated putting my Princess down when I Internet Diagnosed her diabetes because it treating her was beyond my financial means. EXPENSES WERE REALLY ON MY MIND - I ALSO THOUGHT MY BABY IS GOING TO HATE ME GIVE HER GLUCOSE TESTS AND SHOTS - Well she does not mind her shots at all, and quickly her glucose testing is becoming not a big deal as I learn (her ears really don't feel the prick) - and she is loving me more than ever !!!!! also your cats peeing outside the box is probably her way of saying HELP and hopefully will go away, the said truth, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news - without you she is probably going to be put down, not likely you will find a caretaker for her.

Her muscles are depleting because of the high glucose, not sure about the hair, but probably the same

So a quick trip to Walmart (or online order) for $27 plus tax you can do an at home test.

DISCLAIMER - YOU SHOULD TAKE HER TO A VET

If she has Diabetes you can order online;

So $40 insulin + $30 needles + $54 test strips + $96 food = $22o every 3 mo or about $75 a month (minus your current food costs) so about $60 a month to treat your cat with diabetes

Of course this is if Vetsulin one of the cheaper insulin works on your cat, and does not include shipping or taxes which both can be avoided as well as I did not shop real hard either.

And their is always the hope she goes into remission - which can happen with Feline Diabetes, although fairly rare.

Good Luck, no matter your choice, no one will judge you, I know I have had to put a few of my cats down over the decades.

Bryan

23. Olive & Paula

And you can start staggering what you need so one thing arrives every month.

24. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you are in B.C., you won't be able to get the Relion Confirm at Walmart, unless you cross border shop (which I did). I found Safeway pharmacy one of the surprising low cost options for diabetic supplies. eBay is a good source for testing supplies.

ADW does not ship to Canada so are not a source for syringes. However, you can get a post box in Blaine or Point Roberts and they will ship there.

Insulin in Canada is dirt cheap compared to the US, again Safeway a bit cheaper than elsewhere. Costco or Real Canadian Superstore also a good source pricewise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.