Looks Like Lolly has pancreatitis. Can someone look at Labs I've posted?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Martha and Lolly, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martha and Lolly

Martha and Lolly Member

Hi,

Lolly was vomiting, so I brought her in for Labs yesterday. Her pancreas is inflamed, but Vet says it could be other organs affecting pancreas. Vet also strongly urged me to start her on Hill i/d, which I won't do, carbs too high.

She got an anti-nausea shot, is eating just fine, no throwing up. I've attached labs to my signature, if anyone knows about reading labs, can they tell me how bad it is?

2. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Did you see the pancreatitis link in the health topics. It should help you. I know they will give pain meds if you or the vet think she’s in pain. Also some anti-nausea meds. My vet gave me the cerenia. 1/2 tablet daily, & metronidazole to help with the other end. Did they send you home with anything to help? I’m glad she’s not vomiting, diahpoo & has an appetite. My Baby did all 3 with pancreatitis. I’m sorry I can’t remember the test numbers but maybe someone else can help you! Great on the anniversary for Lolly!

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

4. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/a-primer-on-pancreatitis.83108/

So yes, Spec fPL is THE pancreatitis test. It's elevated. I've read recently that how high the number is is not directly correlated to the severity of the pancreatitis. FWIW Quintus was at 33 end September, and shot up to over 50 (higher than the machine can read) in Nov when his diabetes showed up. Last test he was back down to 8.3, still high but "ok" given what he went through and that he has chronic pancreatitis.

It can be worth doing an ultrasound to see how his gallbladder is doing. Cats often get "triaditis", where the pancreas, gallbladder, and duodenum all act up at the same time (they meet in once place so when one goes bad it messes up the others). In Quintus's case the ultrasound showed us his gallbladder was thickening, so that made us give him a treatment for that (marbocyl, convenia, ursochol) and I'm convinced that dealing with that really helped his pancreatitis get better.

Generally for pancreatitis you'll have whatever it takes to help the cat eat and keep its food down (cerenia), something for pain and inflammation, and possibly antibiotics, because the secondary effect of a messed-up pancreas is bacterial imbalance in the gut (=> infection). Quintus also had probiotics.

There is a FB group for cats with pancreatitis: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatsWithPancreatitis/

You might find this doc interesting: https://idexxcom-live-b02da1e51e754...pec-fpl-treatment-for-feline-pancreatitis.pdf

I've also got a few random links collected over time here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.