Looks like we're not alone!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bunny0210, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

My name is Bernie. My diabetic kitty is Basia (polish I think for Barbara). In 2012 my Dad died and I had been looking after him for about 10 years. My cat had to go over the rainbow bridge a month later due to kidney issues and I had to put his old dog Tess down. Bad year - what was good is that for my birthday that year my husband insisted we visit the "pound" and there was Basia - 4 years old, found on the street, skinny and lovable. She gained weight immediately and ran around 15 lbs for the next 6 years - lately she's been very hungry, very lethargic and almost dropping her head into the water bowl. As I suspected, diabetes. Her BG is up and down - averaging about 13 (Canadian) - 220-240 US. At the same time I had an asparagus fern above her perch for the winter and it contracted white mildew - that caused her to have a respiratory problem and seborrhea - for which I am still treating. The vet has her on 1/2 unit every 12 hours. I have had her on it for three days now. First day doesn't count as I don't think I primed the pen. She originally wanted 1 unit every 12 hours but I'm afraid of hypo as I work and only am able to monitor on my four day weekends.

Question: What is the peak of Lantus so that I can do a BG at that time. As well, what are the other best times to do a BG so I can do the curve? Thanks folks...appreciate your kind and supportive help

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Welcome Bernie and Basia!
    No, you're not alone. The people here are very generous with their support and time to help others. :bighug:
    For questions, you should post them on the Main Health forum, as that is where more people will see them.
    Best Of Luck to you and your special sweet kitty :cat:

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Basia! She's a lucky kitty to have you. :)

Lantus will be at peak action anytime between 5 and 7 hours after the injection is given but that can move around somewhat. A single BG reading in the time frame might or might not capture the nadir (lowest BG due to peak insulin action).

To do a curve at home you test in the AM before you feed and inject then every 2 hours after that up to and including the test in the PM before you feed and inject again. Lantus is dosed twice a day 12 hours apart. Cats metabolize insulin quickly and need two doses a day for 24 hour BG control.

Please post any/all other questions you have on the main health forum.

4. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

thanks, I can only find "start conversation" not the main health forum for which I have looked....

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

6. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Welcome!

7. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

Thank you. I checked with the vet for thyroid problems as well as I understand it can raise blood sugars. Good luck with your progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.