Loooong airline flight with sugarcat--any advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ximenle, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ximenle

ximenle New Member

Hi! I'm a longtime lurker on FMDB who just got around to creating an account and posting an intro here, and I really could use some advice.

I'm currently in Oregon, but I just got a job in upstate New York. I don't drive, so we'll definitely be flying. Does anyone have relevant advice/experience to share about taking a sugarcat on a long plane ride? She's normally very good at traveling--we've moved cross-country twice already and no sedatives needed--but this is the first flight she'll be taking post-diagnosis. We're looking at probably a 6-hour flight, a 2-3 hour layover, and then another 2 or 3 hour flight. With everything together, we're looking at 12-15 hours total travel time, and I'm really nervous about it. She generally doesn't eat or drink much (if anything) when she's traveling.

Any advice or experience is very very welcome, but in particular, I'd like to know:
    -How do you handle insulin dosing when the cat probably won't be eating much that day? (And might vomit)
    -What do I need to do to get insulin, needles, and lancets through security?
    -Any tips for transporting the insulin safely? (We currently use a vial of Lantus)
    -What are danger signs I should be looking out for?

Help!

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Let me tag @Dyana . She often flew coast to coast with her sugar kitty, JD.
    She'll have lots of good tips!

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yes. I flew with J.D. from N.J. to CA and back, annually, for 8 years. I'll post more tomorrow. You don't have to leave immediately, do you?

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  4. ximenle

ximenle New Member

Nope, we're leaving in mid-late May. (I made this post right after accepting the job, which starts June 1st.) Thank you!

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay. I'll try to post this evening.

6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Do a search on Jenna & Kitsu (GA), she flew her sugar cat on two flights, west coast US to Ireland. If I can find the thread I'll be back here later.
    What we decided on;
    >Forget cargo, many airlines allow a soft sided carrier on board. Cargo is a cold and noisy place and your cat may be just another piece of baggage.
    >That will let you sneak into the washroom for any reason and especially if the flight is delayed you can give a shot in there.
    >Many airlines have seating charts available on line. The row with the emergency escape will have more leg room and some airlines have an upgraded economy section with a few more inches of leg room. Every little bit helps.
    >Pack insulin in an insulated coffee mug or tupper wear, whatever works for you and is easy to inspect. Obviously don't cram it with ice.
    >Contact TSA about sharp objects. Human diabetics fly too.
    >Make friends with your seat mates, bring cookies, magazines, anything you think will help.
    >Finally, get EVERYTHING in writing, multiple copies and arrive early because you know something will go wrong. Even things you take for granted like a rabies vaccine. >Jenna was prepared for this and still had ticket agents calling their supervisors. Never underestimate the arrogance or stupidity of people who can't or won't follow their own rules. TSA may feel better if you have a sharpies container.
    >I have no experience with Feliway or any other calming agents. If the cat is a real noise maker you can cover the carrier with a towel or your coat but obviously watch for airflow etc. You just want sound insulation for your fellow passengers and ill tempered flight attendants.
    Many years ago I flew my two cats 3,000 miles but back then it was okay to drug the cat. I wouldn't go that route today, it'll probably be you that needs some Xanax.
    Best of luck!

Peacock likes this.
  7. Noah & me (GA)

I found Jenna's threads! (leave a nickel on the table for my efforts)

Moving abroad with a diabetic kitty
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...a-diabetic-kitty-mission-accomplished.196999/
    I believe the thread's title "mission accomplished" was added afterwards

Kitsu's new life in Ireland
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/kitsus-new-life-in-ireland.201872/#post-2245432

If you read through the whole thing you'll see where I could have said "I told you so" because in spite of Jenna having every conceivable piece of paperwork in place some snot at Air Canada still had no idea about which shoe goes on what foot. Just unbelievable!

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

These are the thoughts I jotted down during 11.5 hours of grueling work today (please excuse typos). I will let you know if I think of anything else.
    1) Make sure the kitty is Micro - Chipped, and it is registered to you with current information.
    2) Use a snug fitting harness (two fingers can barely fit between the harness and the cat) and a leash at all times, from the time you open the door to leave your present home until you arrive into the secured room for your cat at the new home.
    3) Besides your checked bag(s), you are allowed 1 carry on and 1 personal item (your cat in the soft sided carrier). I always put all of my cat's stuff in the carry-on, plus my purse (which would "normally" be my one personal item). I always traveled with a light jacket that had many pockets for stuff.
    4) When I travelled, they required a Health Certificate to be dated within 10 days of the travel.
    5) I had my vet write a note that I needed to carry insulin and syringes aboard the plane.
    6) I always had my insulin in a small rubber banded box with a (completely sealed - very important) ice pack with the insulin wrapped well in bubble wrap and/or paper (so the insulin did not freeze). Security will check the ice pack, so it is best to have it ready and out to be inspected.
    7) I skipped the shot the morning of traveling. If your cat had DKA in the past or recently, this may not be an option, but a reduce dose since you think your kitty may not be interested in eating for the 12 hours of travel, may be.
    8) I put about 4 pee pads down in the carrier at a time and had extra pee pads in my carry-on.
    9) I also had a small sample sized container of Febreeze with me, in case of smell. There may be other options.
    10) I had a gallon sized zip lock bag in one of my pockets, in case I needed to switch out soiled pee pads.
    11) I had 2 small plastic bowls with me and would ask the stewardess for some water and offer it to my cat.
    12) I kept another small zip lock baggy of treats (regular (Temptations?) and freeze dried treats)) and would offer them every 30 to 45 minute or so, to break up the boredom).
    13) I would keep a can of Low Carb, and a can of High Carb food and a spoon in a small plastic bag in one of my pockets.
    14) I would put all medications (in their original packaging (including syringes)) in my carry on. You don't want to have to scramble to get new insulin, syringes or other medication, should your checked bags become lost.
    15) I would check J.D.'s blood sugar, before I left the house, when I got to the airport (in the bathroom at the airport, I would use the pull down diaper changer thingy) and at the gate as close to boarding as possible. I would also check him as soon as landing as I could and of course when we go to our destination.
    16) I would try to bring some of his things with his scent on them to help him transition to his new home.

I wish you The Best, and will update if I think of anything else.

9. Noah & me (GA)

This might seem like overkill but could save you some grief. Almost all airlines will tell you what type of specific plane you'll be flying on. People are still asking about the 737 Max 8 and asking won't set off any security alarms. Get an aisle seat and you can reach the overhead bin or take kitty to the washroom without stepping on someone's foot. The emergency door row has at least 16" more leg room. Sit in the last row and you'll be closer to the washroom and won't have a child behind you kicking the seat or screaming which can only stress out the cat even more.
    A little secret about 747's. The upstairs is almost never business class. If you get a window seat because the "roof" of the plane curves in so much at that point you get another 12" of elbow room on the window side and it's much quieter up there.
    I'm too busy to follow up on this so just Google "find airline seat maps" as a start. The airline itself might have it's own website, you won't know until you try.
    https://www.google.com/search?sourc...1T4TSCA_enCA684CA684&q=find airline seat maps

10. ximenle

ximenle New Member

@Dyana and @Noah & me (GA) Thank you both! I've flown cross-country with Aurora twice before, and she's been very well-behaved both times, but those were pre-diagnosis, and I had no idea how to even start prepping for traveling with insulin, sharps, food, etc. I'll start prepping the necessary paperwork and getting the travel supplies together, and come back with any questions.

Thank you!!!!!

Noah & me (GA) and Dyana like this.
  11. Noah & me (GA)

Thanks are appreciated but not needed. I live for stuff like this and I'm quite sure Dyana feels the same way. You are quite welcome.
    I'm Canadian so I'm not well acquainted with the TSA but the basic rules will apply. Just remember the windows don't roll down and the wings are meant to bend. :eek:
    Between now and then ask any silly question you want, everything matters. My then girlfriend has also flown a senior cat across North America and last year we intervened in a family matter and flew a large hound from Tiny Town to Vancouver, then on to Ontario. The dog has never been happier and has amazing bladder control.
    You know that once this is over you're obligated to share lots of photos and a good story right? Best of luck with everything. Noah was the cat, I'm Dickson. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.