Loose stools with very foul odor/diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maryjoandsmokie, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Fluffy is having very loose stools today. (3 times today)
    He is 9 years old and has arthritis really bad.
    He gets Polyglycon IM every two weeks and Buprenex .2ml twice a day for pain.

His diet is Fancy Feast Chuncky Chicken and sometimes chicken and tuna (for a long time)

Any opinions on wheather i should take him on to the Vet today or
    what i should do? Or what could be causing the loose stools with foul odor?
    He will not take the Flora...can't spell it.
    Thanks.

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Re: Loose stools with very foul odor

Just had a civie that started that, nasty clear the room kind of poops, and very runny almost liquid, after tons of tests (all of which came back normal) we finally discovered he had ecoli. Vet put him on Abs for 10 days and cleared up the problem. However, in his case he had raided the trash for raw chicken skins that I had thrown in there and that is what was suspect to have given him the E-coli.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

3. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thanks Mell.

Wrong cat. It is Smokie, my 17 year old diet controlled CRI diabetic.
    She seemed to be feeling fine with no changes in behavior and eating and drinking well.
    No weight loss.

She jumped in litterbox awhile ago and i watched her; and there was the loose stool.
    I am really worried.

4. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

If it's a sour, slightly fruity smelling poop... suspect coccidia.

I'd recommend some yogurt, plain boiled chicken, and a fecal at the vet if it doesn't clear up right away.

Good luck!
    laur

5. MommaOfMuse

Hey Maryjo,

No experience with loose stools in either diabetic, and never had a cat with CRF so I would get a stool sample and have a vet run a fecal, that is how we finally found Amon Ra e-coli. It could be any number of different parasites or bacteria. Is it just loose or is it a strange color too? Amon Ra's was almost grey.

6. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thanks Laur and Mel.

Her stool was real thin and kind of a funny bright tan color. real bright light brown color maybe. when i saw it i thought it was an odd color.

7. MommaOfMuse

Sounds a lot like what I was seeing with my civie Amon Ra, really tan when fresh, almost tannish grey when dry although part of that grey could have been from the litter was well. But yeah, an odd color, and with 12 cats I see lots of poop...lol

8. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

That sounds a lot like what Mitty has been like- very bright tan, loose and it can clear out the room the smell is so bad. Then when I was cleaning out the foul mess a week ago he jumped into the box next to the one I was cleaning right away and pooped a clear slimy pile with blood in it so he got a trip to the vet. They didn't find anything, but we went on Metronidazole for 7 days. Hopefully whatever was causing it was killed by that.

9. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Has anyone given Baytril injectable for diarrhea?
    I may be able to get the ER Vet to give me the injectable to bring home and give withou t
    taking smokie.
    I can tell now she doesn't feel good. That look they give you. That expression.
    And she's getting under the bed some.

10. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Baytril injectable is not appropriate for use in cats. Baytril can be given orally if an infection is diagnosed, but would not be given simply as a remedy for diarrhea. It is important for the vet to follow strict dosage guidelines when prescribing Baytril, due to the possible side effect of blindness.

The FF Chunky Chicken may contain wheat gluten. If your kitty has some inflammation of the GI tract, it may be aggravated by wheat gluten. You may prefer to try a variety without wheat gluten, more likely a pate variety rather than a chunky variety. I have a cat with IBD, and wheat gluten will cause pale loose stool in him.

One medication which your vet may consider for diarrhea is the previously mentioned Metronidazole (Flagyl), which is an antibiotic but which also soothes inflammation in the GI tract.

11. mccat2

mccat2 Member

I just had Sampson into the vet today. He also has very loose stool and vomiting. It is always a bright yellow/tan color. We are treating him for Irritable bowel Disease with budesonide and flagyl. None of which seem to be helping 100%. He is acting very funny all afternoon. Won't come out of his bed and didn't eat much. They gave him a fluid drip today as he was a little dehydrated. He seems really, really tired. I wonder if there could be some other cause for this yellow colored stuff. The vet has not done a fecal sample. Should I take one of the loose stool and run it to the vet next week? I am really worried about my old guy.

Thanks,

12. mccat2

mccat2 Member

Is Fluffy's stool the only foul odor you smell. Do you ever smell it on his back end, as a very stinky gassy odor. Sometimes Sampson has a real foul smell coming from his back end, it comes and goes. He is 17 years old. We have been treating him for IBD, which he has had outbreaks for years and treated well with prednisone until it caused him sugar. I just hope he doesn't have something worse. He has had this particular bout of diarrhea and vomiting on and off for nearly a year now. I would take Fluffy to the vet as you don't want it to get worse. I hope it's just a stomach flare up to something he ate. Good Luck.

13. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thanks so much!
    Smokie, my diabetic seemed to be getting better today. Just two stools for most of day and
    now she is going often and it is the thin tannish stools.
    She is eating well and doesn't seem to be in distress but this has gone on long enough and i
    think i should take her on to be checked.

The Vet on duty is the one who restrains the cat with a leash. I will request he use the gloves or let me hold her. Since Smokie was injured with a leash once i will never let one be used
    on her again. I will bring her back home before i let them do that.

Last night my Vet called the ER and got them to give me baytril injections. I was unable to give
    Smokie the shots. After i found out the side effects i'm afraid for her to have them; and she
    seemed to be getting better this morning...

I hope Sampson gets better!
    I'm gonna ask for a stool culture.

Is there an oral medicine that i could ask for that isn't bitter and won't make them drool???

I'm not supposed to lift because i have a leg problem and other things too.
    It's gonna make it worse to lift but i have no one to help me.
    There! I complained!
    But i'll do what i have to. We all do that, for surel

14. mccat2

mccat2 Member

Hi
    See if you can get the vet to give you some flagyl pills from your vet they will help with the diarrhea and vomiting. The liquid is awful Sampson retched the moment I tried that one. Don't want to do that to him. Also see if she has irritable bowel disease, see if a shot of prednisone helps. You don't always have to get xrays to have the vet try the prednisone. However that will increase sugar levels a lot more. You can also try the budesonide but it hasn't helped Sampson much and its been at least 3 days where I know he ate all of it with his food. You can try to squirt a little bit any liquid medication you have in the food, but just with a small bit of food(couple of tablespoons or so) and make sure she eats its.
    Also I got the budesonide with tuna flavor and am switching over to chicken to see if Sammy will eat that better. Good Luck and keep us informed.
    Happy 4th of July!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.