? Low 6 Hr Reading

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JessieV, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JessieV

JessieV Member

Did I handle this right? Background: . I mainly do a mid day 6 hr reading (no lecture please, I am working within conditions)). If it's low I do another before evening shot. No consistency- 100's at 6 hr and then 300-400s at 12 hr. Today 48 at 6 hr so I gave his normal midday feed and we will test again tonight before shot plus I'm keeping a extra watch on him. (Food is 1/3 FF and 2/3 high glucose 'cos of IDB needs special good- still in transition). Is this the right action to take under this circumstance with a 48 reading? Cat acts O.K. Slightly weepy eye- might be getting sick (have 10 other kitties).

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

What meter meter are you using? I would check him again now just to be sure he hasn’t dropped any more

3. JessieV

JessieV Member

Alpha Trac 2.

4. Sharon14

Then I’d definitely get another test. 48 is low on an AT2.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Jessie, the 48 reading is low and cause for concern. It would be really helpful if we knew at a glance what meter you are using, as the "take action" number on a pet meter is 65 and on a human meter is 50. When you can, please take some time to create a signature that will display the cat's pertinent information with your posts. This will tell members what kind of insulin, what dose, what meter, what food etc. Here is a link to how to create the signature: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    Members also need to be able to see your testing data, as well as times and dose of insulin. Here is a link to the spreadsheet instructions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    and understanding the spreadsheet grid: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

65 is the beginning of the hypo range with an AlphaTrak, so 48 is not good. Since you have only been getting +6 tests, you don't know when the nadir (lowest point in the cycle) normally occurs, so it is especially important that you test again to be sure the number is going up and not further down. What insulin are you using?

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. JessieV

JessieV Member

It's up to 96. (Boy do I hate all this! Cat owning is no longer enjoyable.)

Sharon14 likes this.
  8. JessieV

JessieV Member

Using Lantus.

9. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I''m so glad to read that the BG is going up. I know it's hard right now as you are dealing with more than the diabetes. Hopefully with the information and support you will find here on the board it will become more manageable. Please take a look at the FAQs forum for additional information, plus the very valuable information on hypos. Never hurts to be more informed and prepared. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/
    Wishing you the best as you move forward with kitty's treatment and care.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  10. Sharon14

Glad it’s come up! FD does suck, and it’s extra hard with multiple kitties. When my cat was diagnosed I had 13 other cats. They were used to free fed kibble with canned food treats twice a day. Took me awhile to get a routine that worked for me, but I did and you will too. Keep asking questions and we will help you in any way we can.

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

68 on the AT2 is the point where you need to intervene with food to insure kitty doesn't go any lower when on insulin. This gives you a tiny bit of a cushion before the cat might start to exhibit symptoms of hypoglycemia. Unfortunately, some cats do not show any warning signs of hypo before crashing so while watching for symptoms is helpful, feeding and then retesting until kitty's BG has come up to safer levels is essential to keep them safe.

ETA - not sure what protocol (TR or SLGS) you are using, if either but with that low reading, your kitty has earned a dose reduction. We generally adjust doses by 0.25u at a time. If you can get a signature and a spreadsheet set up, we will be able to help you better to keep your furry friend safe.

12. JessieV

JessieV Member

Thanks all. This site IS very helpful but it's also making me very paranoid! I am stressed because of what this has done to my life- it's made it so very restrictive. I would feel a bit differently if this was one of my long time cats but this one was here less than 2 mos before the diabetes started. I do have the option of returning this cat but I have been thru hell and back with some of my previous cats and I hate to give up on this one. I so hope some time in the future I will get my freedom back, and for now I just hope the testing and feeding gets easier. Thanks.

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Jessie, It DOES get easier. You are just learning about the diabetes, how to help your kitty and it's obvious, you are devoted to him and want to help him. He's a lucky kitty to have you! The first little while is hard because you really don't know what to expect yet. With time, this will all become a routine and you will get over feeling so restricted in your other activities as you get to know how your kitty is reacting to the insulin. We can help you figure it all out so you can get your life back to a more normal place. :) This is a partnership between you and your cat and both of your needs can be fulfilled while keeping everyone happy and healthy.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree completely. It's so very hard at first but it gets easier - I promise! :bighug::)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  15. JessieV

JessieV Member

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.