? Low +7 night time BG is dose to much?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Becki and sox, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hey just looking for some help I've have PmPs of 8.6 I've been giving Sox 0.8u of prozinc had low AmPs but none this low. Would you still give 0.8u or reduce it at all?

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

BRB in a sec.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

I think you are safe to give 0.8u ....Oh I see you just entered it on your spreadsheet. Usual testing should catch any attempt on Sox's part to pull any stunts!

4. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I've give him the 0.8u now. Just thought I'll schedule some get ups in the night to check him :D I'll never know untill I try will I

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sorry Becki. Just saw your post but didn't check SS or type fast enough. For what it's worth, I think that was the right decision. The 155 isn't that much lower than the morning pre-shot but still warrants a little more vigilance.

6. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

That's what I thought. An I'm still trying to used to the varience that you can have in the readings.

That's alright not a problem at all.

Just got to wait and see what we get in the morning now.

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an uneventful night even given that lovely 4.7 earlier today. He may bounce a little tonight as a result. :)

8. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

He might do.... I'll do my +2 reading then do you think +5 or +6 maybe?

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

If he's going to do anything dramatic you might see it at +2 at which point you can steer him a bit with some higher carb food. If he's holding steady at +2, I'd probably do the +5 but if he's up higher just do a +6. You know the drill if he happens to be dropping a lot at +2.

10. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I do... Entering new territory now shooting in blues... Think I'm getting used to it and then he likes to switch it up lol

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Haha don't they always! He gave you a really beautiful cycle today. For what it's worth, I agree that shooting that 0.8 was just right. It's always tempting to drop the dose and it's scary when you first start shooting on those blues, but if we push the envelope just a bit, sometimes that can get some really great results! I'm so excited to see Sox heading into blues and greens and hope he doesn't give you too eventful of a night!

Becki and sox likes this.
  12. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

It is yes. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Seems though he likes to be nice blues at PMPS but then 2 hours later has gone up to the yellows. Is that quiet normal?

13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It is fairly normal. Not all cats have it, but it's the food spike. Food hits their system and their BG is up because of that. Usually after +2, it starts to go down due to the insulin (in Prozinc...not all insulins are the same).

14. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Oh right ok that's good to know then. I suppose I never noticed a spike after food previously as his readings were already higher.

15. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I missed all the fun! At least you get to sleep tonight with that food spike/bounce/kitty shenanigans pushing him up so much. I'm so excited about the numbers you're getting! It makes me so happy to see kitties who are up in the pinks start to come down into healthier numbers :joyful::):D

16. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah he's coming down nicely in the day.

Is it quiet normal though for him to be hitting blues and greens in the day but mainly get yellows through the night?

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sox has been having some nice day cycles the last couple of days and I think those +2 yellows the last few nights are a combo of little food bumps and tiny bounces from those beautiful lower readings. He seems to clear bounces pretty quickly which is great. On the night cycle of the 1st, looks like he probably hit nadir after +5, given that nice blue start to Dec 2nd. Sometimes you just don't see the lowest point at night because you have to sleep sometime but the AMPS the next day gives you a clue of what might have happened.

18. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking you probably miss them most the time but I do agree he does seem to be going very well at the moment :)

Of to the vets tonight to have a check. Fingers crossed we've put some weight on.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  19. Djamila

Many cats will have one cycle that is slightly higher or lower than the other. Most of the time, the night cycle is lower, but Sox isn't the only one to have a lower daytime cycle.

Let us know what the vet says!

20. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Have not been to the vets tonight. Had to cancel our appointment due to fire alarms constantly going off for no reason. We have rebooked for Friday.

Think Sox had had too much stress today to take him to vets too :(

21. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm sure the fire alarms upped both his and your stress levels.....no point adding to it.;)

22. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

It did. Poor cats not sure how long they were going off for but they were all hiding in there litter boxes. The alarms are so loud. They have all come out of hiding now though at last.

23. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Not bad PMPS though after the very noisy afternoon. 10.3 I'm happy with that.

24. MrWorfMen's Mom

Now if only he'd give you a few more blue AMPS too!

25. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yes hopefully he will do :D

26. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ack! That's a stressful day for poor kitties (and you!).

27. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Rachel @Djamila right guys so Brad's off work tomorrow and he's home do you think we should maybe try a new dose now of 0.9u?

28. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think it's reasonable to try that. :)

29. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Kris & Teasel I know it's not a big change and he seems to be doing really well on 0.8u bit think we might get a little bit more out of his numbers maybe with 0.9u

And to draw up on a u100 syringe I have to measure between the 2 and the 2.5 mark that's right isn't it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  30. Kris & Teasel

Yes, that's correct.

31. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree. Pushing those numbers just a bit lower could be great, and trying a small increase like that might be just what Sox needs!

32. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

33. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I've give 0.25u tonight wasn't sure what to give. But just fed snack before bed. Will probably check again at +5

34. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! What a day. i think that was fine...let's see where Sox is later.

35. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

AMPS 21.5 do we think that's possibly abit of bounce from been in the blues most of yesterday?

36. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Could be. Could also just be that he didn't get QUITE enough insulin last night...but again you kept him safe, which is important!

37. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah possibly. I was a bit wary to how much I could give with low numbers like that.
    If I have the same sort of situation tonight I may try 0.5u possibly?

38. Kris & Teasel

I think that's a reasonable thing to try. It's always hard to guess how much of a reduction to give when PS is lower. Repeated experiments over time will give you data to work from - really no other way. You also get braver with these doses once you have more exposure to them.

39. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yes i think that's what it is... First time in that situation. I knew Sox normally does drop much over night with the insulin but then didn't want to give same amount and him react differently while I was in bed.
    Rather play it safe see how we get on and then increase :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  40. Djamila

Another thing to try when you get a lower PS like that is to stall a little bit and retest in 30 minutes or so. If the number is rising a lot, then you can shoot your regular amount. if it's not rising or rising only a little, you can stall a bit longer. It does throw your schedule off a little for the next shot if you have to stall for long, so you have to think ahead a bit and consider if you can give the morning shot a little late to compensate.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  41. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah i have heard about that but I don't have any movement in my morning schedule during the week which is my main problem :confused:

Djamila likes this.
  42. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I gave 0.9u last night and we went quiet low into the greens. Do I need to give it a few more cycles or do you think 0.9u is possibly to much at night time?

43. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Becki! Definitely bouncing this morning I see. 61 is still safe...it's getting on the low side, but not bad especially as it was around nadir time. I know it's kind of nerve wracking, but I think I'd be tempted to stick with 0.9 for now. I'd be interested to see if he calms down a bit and settles into a better pattern with it or if he continues to bounce in the AM and go lower in the PM. The more time in blues and greens he spends, the better for his pancreas. What do you think?

Djamila likes this.
  44. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah I did panic a little bit and gave him some food as I didn't want him to possibly drop lower. Hence why I checked again an hour later. Do you think I could have possibly got away with out feeding food?

Yeah that's fine I'm happy to try it just a bit scared if he drops so low and I'm asleep. Would you say test at +7 or maybe +8 of a night time. That way I'd see if he was on the rise and not give any food?

45. Kris & Teasel

You could try that if it happens on a day off when you can monitor to see how he copes. Bouncy cats have really good liver reserves and seem to be able to handle these situations. The down side is they'll go sky high afterward. I have entirely too much experience with this. :confused:

46. Djamila

I agree with Rachel about sticking with it a little longer to see what happens. If the bounces can settle down, he may start running in the blues and greens which would be great!

47. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah I'll stick with it and see how we get on. May have a few nights with get ups but it it helps him it's worth it.

AHH no... He does seem to be a little bouncy. Hopefully it settles a little bit.

Been to the vets tonight. Last visit Sox was 5.1kg today he was nearly 5.6kg so putting on weight.
    Vet was happy with the readings I was getting but still wants to do a fructosemine test which I said we would have to get done after Christmas due to money.
    But so far vet seems happy with the progress.